Crimes You've Committed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Crimes You've Committed...

Here's one that a good friend committed.

Back in about '74 or '75 he scored a '69 Mach1, 351W, auto, with tilt column, rim blow steering wheel, power disc brakes, fold down rear seat, window louvers, rear wing, chin spoiler, AM/FM, all the toys. The car was lightly hit on the right front, and he bought it for $350.00 He kept it for a year, didn't do anything with it, so he decided to take it apart. He put the engine and trans in his '48 F100, kept the dash and steering column, the hood (which wasn't damaged, and is on my '69 now) put the front seats and console in his '68 Cougar, and then a couple of guys came and bought the doors, the fold down seats and trunk lid. The rest went to the scrap yard. He sold the mint dash pad a couple of years ago for $20, and about 3-4 years ago got sick of tripping over the tilt steering column and rim blow wheel. He threw them away. We both want to puke when we talk about it. The car had all the stuff people look for now. He has the wheels and the radiator, which will be going in SD's '69 Torino GT.

My own personal crimes besides the half moon covers on the headlights of my '63 Falcon, and having blue clearance lights in the wheel wells of my '63 Fairlane wagon, and the standard yellow wire sets on my engines, relatively minor offenses I think, are most often the chances I had to get cool cars, and missed out on for various reasons, or had them and sold them.

I heard about a '40 or '41 Willys at a little salvage yard that was being forced to clean up in a small town about 1/2 hour away. I didn't go look at it right away, figuring it was junk or a 4 dr, and when I had a chance I tried to find the place, couldn't find it, had to go back again with better directions, and then found out the car sold 2 weeks before. Turned out to be a '41 Coupe, all original, no rust, even had the 4 cyl. engine in it still. The price? $300.00 This was in '92
    I also bought a '70 Chevelle SS 396 automatic, gold with black stripes, no motor or trans for $700 from a barn. Upstairs was an old Anglia drag car body. I could have had that for $50, but passed on it. Sold the Chevelle to a guy who wanted to do a full resto on it. He ended up bringing it to the shop I worked for, and we did the work, getting the complete rolling frame and drivetrain rebuilt and show detailed, and had started to do the body before he decided to part the whole thing out, and put the engine and trans in a '70 Camaro. I don't think that car ever was finished either.

Comment

Wow, and I thought I was an idiot, LOL. Seriously had I gotten my hands on anything valuable I would have done the same as many of you and cut it up and made it worse. I only screwed up 6-cylinder post cars.... which are now as rare as hen’s teeth.

Your honor, In my defense, my '65 Chevy belair was wrecked by someone else.
      Next car, '66 Buick Special with a grumpy Jenkins hood scoop, a skinny slots in the front, and a Buick 350 GS motor was taken apart then scrapped due to no cash. Looking back I'm not sure why the hell I took it apart, right down to the frame.... Idiot, stupic frickin' idiot.
      Then a couple years later I bought a nice 70 Skylark from Florida, drove it for a few years and put a few dents in it, then sold THAT for a loss. I HOPE that survived.

Comment

Is it wrong to love the way that Buick looks?

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

The Moon discs on the rear add an interesting look......add a set for the front, lose the mailbox on the hood....hmmmm.....

Comment

I say don't change a thing. The Gump lump stays along with the wheel combo.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

The hood scoop had a stars & Stripes theme when I found it at a swap meet, I think it was mettal-flake too.
              I went through 3 rear tire versions, from this, to fat wide tires that stick out on aluminum wheels, to the same package w/o the moon covers, just painted silver like the old super-stockers, which was my fav.
              It had rubber floor mats and a bench seat too.
              I even started putting together a 455 for it, had the short block DONE!

If anyone has a line on a 66/67 mid-size post Buick LET ME KNOW!

Comment

And the slaughtering continues. This weekend's assault-results...

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                  Is it wrong to love the way that Buick looks?

Brian
                  No, I love it too. If I had the room I'd have a car very similar to that sitting next to my convertible right now.

Comment

No pictures, but in 84-85 my buddy and I took a perfectly good 69 Firebird rolling chassis and put big shackles on the back so we could fit slicks. The best engine we could find at the time came out of my 72 Buick Centurion. Shoehorned the Buick 455 into the Firebird.

Fortunately it never made it on the road with the Buick motor due to a mishap with a chain fall and oil pressure problem that resulted, so we wound up finding a Pontiac 350 for it. The 350 was a bit more at home and my friend sold the car.

Comment

Working...
                    X