Make it don't buy it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Make it don't buy it.

neat idea! wonder if you could do that with chevy vortec heads?

Your workbench is even messier than mine...damn....
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

A messy workbench is the sign of an active mind.
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

I build tool I don't have out of tools I've broken.

haven't got a broken ratchet to start working again, but I can make a strong breaker bar out of one...

I shape the heads of hammers, too for metal shaping.

I'll need to build a frame jig...& that looks expensive.

Comment

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the frame jig I built

I agree that a messy work bench is the sign of an active mind.

My wife isn't too pleased with how active my mind is in the house, there are papers and books and stuff everywhere!
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
            Bummer is if we all still lived on the farm... these are skills we'd have learned by the time we were old enough to hold both ends of the wrench off the ground...

Today kids are good at Video games.... hmmm quite a trade off I'd say...

K
            The other day somebody asked me where I learned to work on cars.
            I told them that I grew up on a farm.
            They then asked me what that had to do with agriculture. Huh?
            Hahahaha, when I explained about how much stuff I broke trying to hotrod things they understood... sorta.
            We built just about anything and everything we ever needed out of scrap and junk.

I guess that's where I came up with my "trademark" that I put on most everything I build.

CBE = Crude But Effective Racing Equipment
            The name fits.

Comment

Originally posted by etbird
              People ask me why I save old metal, angle iron, and such. What are you kidding? It's for making stuff.
              Hell yeah, that stuff ain't cheap.

to the OP, I find tig welding very useful in making stuff. I need to learn how to mig too.

Comment

I know how to MIG. I need to learn how to TIG.

Comment

I've made various tools to get the job done. I guess it's something you have to do when the job needs to be done and the Snap On guy isn't coming until next week. ;)

But what I really like doing is making my own brackets and wingnuts out of aluminum. Like with the big block that I'm putting in my '71 GMC. I wanted an air cleaner wingnut that you really don't see much of. So I milled an Iron Cross out of some 1/2 inch plate aluminum and polished it up. It looks great and isn't something you see every day.

Comment

Originally posted by etbird
                    How many of you guys make tools and fixtures for building cars and parts? I just made a metal brake for interior tin work I will be doing soon. I have to refine it somewhat, It's a little crude but it does work really well. Anybody else?
                    I have a tool for mounting slicks. It's a chemical process. It involves um....fire. Mounts 33x10.5's very quick. It's patented though. ;D

Comment

i think ive infringed on your patent. ill send you a check if youll send my shop foreman some eyeliner, so he can draw on new eyebrows..

ive cut several wrenches to specific lengths for special jobs.. its nice to bust them out when other guys are scratching their heads on how to get something done..

Comment

It's not much, but I designed this bracket for my power steering. The engine originally came with a AC unit which had a big ugly bracket which I first cut down then got rid of. It replaces the bracket that was bolted to the first header/ exhaust manifold bolt..

This is how I started. I made that spacer too.

I started with a cardboard template.

And a drawing.

My friend Malkeet helped me with the drilling and welding. This is the rough cut.

This is the final look after painting. It's overkill and could hold ten times the weight. It's also a stupidly simple idea. I'm debating about hanging it on my new Edelbrock heads.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X