Was Evil evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Evil evil?

What do you think? Post-humous smear campaign, or enlightening information?

MIAMI - Evel Knievel never denied his scrapes with the law — the late motorcycle daredevil often reveled in them. But even he objected to a 1970s FBI investigation of whether he was involved in a string of beatings.

According to documents obtained by The Associated Press, the federal government came close to charging Knievel, who in turn threatened to sue the FBI for alleging he was connected to a crime syndicate. Neither followed through.

Knievel, who died last November in Clearwater, Fla., repeatedly denied his involvement to both investigators and victims, according to the documents.

"Knievel stated that he was not responsible for what just happened to (name redacted) and that he had no control over the 'thing'," according to one phone conversation recounted in an FBI interview.

Knievel, immortalized in the Smithsonian Institution as "America's Legendary Daredevil," donned red, white and blue for his death-defying stunts. He had a knack for outrageous yarns and claimed to have been a swindler, a card thief, a safe cracker and a holdup man.

His most well-known run-in with the law was a 1977 attack on movie studio executive Shelly Saltman, whom the daredevil beat with a baseball bat in the parking lot of 20th Century Fox.

Saltman promoted Knievel's infamous attempt to jump Idaho's Snake River Canyon and then wrote a book about the experience, angering Knievel by portraying him as "an alcoholic, a pill addict, an anti-Semite and an immoral person."

Knievel was sentenced to six months in jail and Saltman won a $12.75 million judgment, but never collected. Saltman did not return a phone message recently to discuss the FBI file.

Knievel's file shows investigators believed he was involved with other violent acts — an attack in a Kansas City hotel room and a vicious beating in San Francisco. All were allegedly carried out by Knievel associates, according to subjects quoted in the file. Authorities also looked into an alleged threat made in Phoenix, but could find no information for the case.

The investigation bounced between field offices in Miami, Chicago and California. Knievel's business associates were interviewed, his phone records examined.

Of the 202 pages of Knievel's 290-page file released to the AP, some were heavily redacted, with identities, interviews and contact information excluded. The names of victims were not released, though some details of their experiences were.

One man told agents he received a threatening phone call, and shortly after was beaten by a Knievel associate who left him hospitalized. The man was interviewed by the FBI, but could remember his assailant's black loafers better than his facial features.

He told the AP he wants to remain anonymous because he had moved on from the attack and into a career not associated with stunt jumping. He said the FBI wanted to know if he could identify his attacker.

"They gave me mug shots at one point in time and I couldn't pick him out," he said. "It was a dark room, he had dark glasses on him. All I know is he was big. I could describe his shoes better than anything."

Authorities first wanted to charge Knievel with violations of the Hobbs Act, which prohibits interfering with interstate commerce by attempting to rob or extort someone. But the case was dropped when a new federal prosecutor picked up the case and decided there was insufficient evidence. The federal government today won't comment.

"The Department follows the facts and the law in making decisions and beyond that, couldn't comment on matters in which no public federal charges were filed," Department of Justice spokeswoman Laura Sweeney said in an e-mail.

The daredevil's widow, Krystal Kennedy-Knievel, said she was unaware of any FBI investigation involving her husband and declined further comment. They were married in 1999.

FBI files are available to the public after the death of their subjects and can provide rare glimpses into the private lives of public figures. For example, former President Ford advised the FBI that two of his fellow Warren Commission members doubted the bureau's conclusion that John F. Kennedy was shot from the sixth floor of the Texas School Book Depository in Dallas, according to his file.

Not all of Knievel's altercations were detailed by the FBI.

Bob Gill, a competitor of Knievel's during the 1970s, said he was part of a confrontation associated with Knievel, but the daredevil later apologized and denied his involvement and the two became friends. Gill was not interviewed by the FBI, but said his run-in mirrored others described in the file. He declined to elaborate.

"I was really, really mad at Evel over the whole thing, but he apologized at least 10 times, and said it was out of his control and I believed him," Gill said.

Gill, who was paralyzed after a failed stunt, said Knievel tried to help him set up a meeting with a doctor who Gill thought would help him walk again. He said Knievel also devised a plan to help pay for the expenses.

"Evel's never done any wrong besides that one little incident," Gill said. "And he's made up for it 1,000 times."

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Re: Was Evil evil?

I wish I had the time in my life to dig up Crapp about a Dead Guy.
    Better get back to work...

Comment

The guy was anything but a model citizen or even someone to emulate.

Could he jump a heavy Harley? You bet. Anything past that was suspect.

The guy made a bunch of money in his younger days selling fake life insuarnce to mentally disabled people. If that right there doesn't send him to a warm locale post mordem, thenthe beating he laid on the guy with a baseball bat and apparently the many more beatings he laid on people for stuff that was out of his control, according to this story may do it.

The last 10-15 years of his life was pretty much misery on an epic level, so maybe that was the big guy's way of having him pay back for the pain he caused others. There's a couple of good books out there on the guy. Great reading, just not on a great guy.

My .02

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I read that earlier today....crazy.....never would have guessed he was such a punk....when I was a kid I thought he was a god

Comment

One thing about Evel, he NEVER said he was an upstanding citizen.. He has spoke many times about things that he had done in his life and that he wasn't proud of them. I know that doesn't excuse him, but it does say something that he never really tried to fool his fans into believing he was anything other then what he was...

How many people in the limelight put on this fake front, then you find out what they are really about. Evel was what he was, I dreamed of being a daredevil as a kid, I had all the toys that came out that had anything to do with Evel. I used to fly over jumps WAY too high and WAY too fast on my bike yelling,EVEL KNIEVEL!!!!!!! He was a hero to many of us as kids, was he flawed, he sure was! I can tell ya, I have done a few things in my life that I'm not too proud of, many of us have.

Comment

It's pretty easy to say, "I'm not a great guy" while your raking in millions of bucks a year selling your image to kids.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
              It's pretty easy to say, "I'm not a great guy" while your raking in millions of bucks a year selling your image to kids.

Brian
              Hey, he always coulda' been a politician, then he woulda' been telling you he was a great guy while raking in millions of bucks a year.. Difference woulda be he would of been lying while raking that money in on the unwilling backs of the American people.. Evel was a LOT more entertaining in the process!! We got what we paid for

Comment

Evel helped pave the way for kid's heroes to be scummy guys. I mean, they were before and they were after, but he was kinda "special" that way. Oh well.

I know a guy who's made a great living and name for himself by doing what amounts to stunts, but watching him move his body across the room does not make me envy him much. Ouch...it looks like it hurts.

Comment

Eddie, you make a good point.

Never thought of it like that...he he.

Brian

Comment

I had all the Evel Kneivel toys when I was a kid! I had a small fortune worth of that stuff,but it's all gone now! I rubbed blisters on my hands winding up his toys so many times.

Evel was a badass! He showed genuine remorse at the end of his life for the things he had done though. I for one miss guys like him.

Comment

Working...
                    X