McGard Lug Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McGard Lug Nuts

I bought me a McGuard lug nut installation kit way back when I got my Cragar S/Sīs.

It wasīnt long before the wheel lock key crunched, leaving me with no way to remove my wheels.
    Contacted McGard USA who told me European customers can only get replacement keys from their outfit in Germany.
    Did that bought two.
    Lucky that I did because when I came to remove the Cragars for the Summits recently this happened.

Looks like Iīm going to have to order up backup keys for the new lug nuts.

Re: McGard Lug Nuts

i have to say i have never seen one do that .usually the key wears out the lock lug ,usually from using a impact.

Comment

The Cragar S7Sīs use flat washers not the 60š cone system, and those buggers can really get tight.
      Maybe itīs the friction over a big flat area.
      As I said itīs number two for me to do that and I never use an impact.
      Itīs had the key part taken out completely 360š, so I never had it engaged twisted.

Comment

Anti-seize man, anti-seize... and do you torque the lug nuts, or just tighten the hell out of them? I think most people tend to over tighten them.

Comment

I have a set of lug nut removal tools, that is designed for that, carquest sells them , comes in a pack of 2 sizes, I think it was like 20 bucks, wrap it in electrical tape and it wont even hurt the rims.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu
            Anti-seize man, anti-seize... and do you torque the lug nuts, or just tighten the hell out of them? I think most people tend to over tighten them.
            I use a torque wrench, and torque them to the recommended 75 - 85 lb/lbs. torquing the key nut last when tightening and loosening first when removing.

None of the others were a problem.

This morning I sent McGard an e mail with the above photo and they offered to replace the key free
            of charge if I sent them the damaged key.

As I am done with the shank type nuts and have gone to 60š cone I wonīt bother.

Comment

They might like to have a look at their defective product, that way they can better take steps to prevent issues in the future. Their heat-treating people should be able to see what happens when they don't get the hardness right.

Comment

I gave up on wheel locks long ago....

also when I worked at the junkyard I had to take a few off, it's really easy with the cone type nuts, just whack it sideways back and forth a few times with a bfh, it stretches the stud and takes all the torque off it so you can unscrew the nut by hand.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

One thing for sure, Malc, if the crooks are capable of stealing your rims, they will probably take the whole car, instead - - LOL

Comment

Did you use a air impact to get those locks off. That's what usually tears them up like that. I only use a breaker bar and socket to get my locks off to keep from shattering the lock. The impact take cares of the rest.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I never use an impact, my tire man doesīnt either on my car.
                      Usually for tire swaps or balancing Iīve removed wheels from the car and
                      taken them to him.
                      McGard didīnt seem overly anxious to have the wheel lock key for inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by malc
                        I never use an impact, my tire man doesīnt either on my car.
                        Usually for tire swaps or balancing Iīve removed wheels from the car and
                        taken them to him.
                        McGard didīnt seem overly anxious to have the wheel lock key for inspection.
                        I can't remember the last time I actually took one of my cars to a tire shop. Mounting, balancing, flat repair etc., I take them off the car and drop them off. I've had too many dinged wheels and cross-threaded lug nuts.
                        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I don't let the people at the tire shop touch my Chevelle. I, too, just bring them the wheels.

Once I asked about the impact wrenches and torque, having seen many broken studs. They said that they now use torque sticks. They looked like color coded six inch extensions between the gun and the socket. The guy showed it to me. I asked him how it worked, and he gave me some non-specific b.s. "It doesn't allow the lug nut to be tightened past xx foot pounds"... Ok, but HOW? "shrug, I dunno."

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu
                            I don't let the people at the tire shop touch my Chevelle. I, too, just bring them the wheels.

Once I asked about the impact wrenches and torque, having seen many broken studs. They said that they now use torque sticks. They looked like color coded six inch extensions between the gun and the socket. The guy showed it to me. I asked him how it worked, and he gave me some non-specific b.s. "It doesn't allow the lug nut to be tightened past xx foot pounds"... Ok, but HOW? "shrug, I dunno."
                            the thickness of the stem is rated at a specific torque, so that the stem begins to twist at lets say 60 ft lbs.

the local shp here tazmanian tire, had torques everything, you even get a peice of paper that says your lugs were torqued by joe blow. they dont even use a lift, they use four floor jacks

Comment

the torque sticks are pretty good - but I still prefer to use a torque wrench at home.

I have a balancer and a tire machine -both need repair and I haven't made the time to fix them yet - but the goal is to never need a tire store again - too many bad experiences with them.
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X