Computer crashed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer crashed!

Well don't know what happened but my computer won't boot up and my tech is taking forever to get it fixed. Haven't been able to log in at the library so I've been lurking as a guest. Hopefully I'll get my computer back soon.

Re: Computer crashed!

I keep thinking that saving all "my documents" to a jump drive, then formating then reloading windows is not a bad maintenance item every couple of years. It seems the only way to keep a windows machine running fast.

I hope they can recover yours.

I just salvaged a laptop by installing a new hard drive - the first one puked, so I returned it and got a second - and it took two attempts at loading windows xp to get it to work, but it eventually took - and seems OK now.... amazing how much faster it boots than my desktop with all the other stuff it has loaded on it.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Next time let me know, my dad does computer repair.

Comment

Get a Mac and be done with those problems forever. I've had mine for two years now-it's never locked up, never gotten infected, never slowed down. It's as fast today as the day I got it, and I've never done any maintenance.

Comment

I guess you got lucky with your Mac some models have serious problems, google Imac G5 for example

they all have problems, it's wise to back up your documents often on an external hard drive. All the disk drives that are installed in computers come from the same few companies, Macs and PCs alike, and when the hard drive dies, you've lost everything. Happend to my son on his laptop that was slightly over a year old, but he had almost all his data backed up on the external drive.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My experience parallels yours. I've been using MACs since about 1988 or so, and have NEVER lost ANYTHING on any of 'em. Also, I'm a computer idiot and I don't have to know anything - I just use it. Is some MAC somewhere a POS? Probably, but mine have never been. I've had Road Runner lock up from time to time, but never the MAC.

Dan

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
            Get a Mac and be done with those problems forever. I've had mine for two years now-it's never locked up, never gotten infected, never slowed down. It's as fast today as the day I got it, and I've never done any maintenance.

Comment

My laptop just got cleaned up because it crapped out. Brought it to a friend of mine 3 days it was fixed.
              Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

I built my own PC and installed 5 hard drives. Three of them has a different version of Windows XP that I can boot up on. I don't have an anti-virus program and after 3 years still haven't had very many problems. I did let my daughter check her 'myspace' once and ended up having to reload windows on that drive. She doesn't get on my puter anymore. I use the two extra drives to store music, pics, documents, and stuff I don't want lost.

Comment

My COmputer wont let me defragment anymore. (Some kind of fatal error)... I have no idea what to do so I'm thinging about getting a new one anyways, this one in 6 years old.

Comment

Fordplay,
                    then now it's about time you leave the stoneage and step up to the 21th century and buy a Mac.
                    You might be sorry though, but that's only because you didn't do it sooner... ; )

Dos or Mac, every computer can fail, because when a hardware item fails, the system goes down.
                    Therefore it's ALWAYS smart to keep (multiple) backups of your important files.

For instance, one of the most important things I keep on my computer are the pictures I take during the years.
                    Years ago I've lost a number of them because of a harddrive crash, so I learned from that mistake and make sure I triple backup all the pics I have these days. Since that time I always save my pics on my home-Mac, at work and on my mother's Mac.
                    On my home computer I also have multiple harddrives in it so I can make backups internally for if one harddisc will crap out again.
                    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Hey all the libary computer was able to logme in today! Looks like the hard drive crashed.

Comment

Working...
                      X