Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GM-Chrysler Merger?!?!

Originally posted by ls7gto

sounds like you actually think that Chrysler is the leader in quality. : Remember they used our bail out cash to build ....K cars. In my opinion they havent built anything I wanted since 72, and AMC died before Renault.

Mmmmm - might want to check your facts:

The was no "bail out." At least not in terms of the sort of BS that just happened with Wall Street...There were substantial loan guarantees. (Loans that were paid out almost 10 years early if I recall correctly.)

And while the K car and it's derivitives were not the kind of powerhouse cars those of us on this board would get excited about, they were exactly the right product for the times: Small front wheel drive, inexpensive, fuel efficient vehicles that got killer gas mileage and met the EPA standards. (While the rest of Detroit was flailing around still building gas-hog land barges and swell stuff like the Chevette...) Chrysler came up with this by *gasp* listening to what the buying public wanted, rather than trying to tell them what they needed. This philosophy worked well for over 15 years with minivans and FWD economy cars like the neon untill the thugs from Daimler got ahold of it and killed it.

As for me, no-one has built a car that stirs desire in me since 1972, so that`s hardly a Chrysler-specific thing....

And I`m really hoping hoping the GM thing doesn`t happen...I`d hate to have to re-grow that mullet I gave up in the `80s.... ;)

Comment

Doesn't make much sense to me.....

Why the hell would one struggling car manufacturer want to spend money they don't have to acquire an even worse off(financially) adversary?

Aside from the financials, there's so much overlap in terms of market share.....Ma Mopar would be wiped out, point blank.

Let's not even kid ourselves about the Viper...given the choice between the flagship Corvette and the snake, looks like someone's wearing fancy boots...follow what I'm saying?

as ridiculed as they are now, the Interpid saved Chrysler's ass...the "magic" of the K-series had worn off by that time.......ironic that the intrepid was originally an Eagle branded car(more or less an AMC)....

Remy, I think you may be on to something...maybe an anti-trust issue?

Comment

To put a HEMI in the Corvette......................lol

Comment

Quite possibly. Why else would an investment firm be so interested in all of 'em...GM, GMAC, and Mopar? I need to do a metric F-kload of research to figure out what exactly would be wrong with this, but something screams "wrong" to me.

GM is so financially screwed up that unless something in the division all of a sudden nails it (ie. small Chevy, Opel-to-Saturn car, maybe a highly improved flex-fuel pickup?) that the General is simply going to sustain life support from it's overseas operations-Chevrolet, Vauxhaull/Opel and Holden are well-liked brands overseas, why else would we be getting Astra, Monaro (GTO) and Commodore (Catara,G8, G8 S/T)? I still think that they should send the Holden/Chevrolet Caprice over here, the last couple of generations I've seen in Kuwait would be a hit!

'06 Middle Eastern market Caprice Royale

As for Mopar, they need to really get their ass in gear with their cars. Ram and Sprinter are well established, the Cummins is a good powerplant and the Hemi has made it's name. Their cars? 300, Charger, Challenger, Viper. Their middle linup is invisible, small cars a joke since the Neon and Neon SRT-4 disappeared. Why no SRT-6 Avenger? A 2-dr last-gen SRT-6 Avenger would have been a bitchin' offering to the tuner market and would've fought with Monte Carlo SS and Fusion for the American market, too. Too many in the small catagory now, and any idiot can see major platform sharing a'la GM in the '80s. Their minivans have gotten ugly as sin, too, IMO.

(Folks, this is what happens when I do drink and post. This time...chocolate pudding spiked with Bailey's for dessert.)

Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

This is how I see it:

Chrysler- Great trucks and really good full-size cars. Valuable technology transfer from Diamler-Benz. Crappy SUV, XUV, etc. Really poor small cars (there aren't any). Forgettable mid-size cars. Can't make a profit to save itself. Gets passed around like a $5 hooker.

GM- Great trucks, underated small cars. Best SUVs. Forgettable mid-size and full-size cars. Lots of market overlap within itself. Pontiac manages to take exciting cars and make them bland. Likes operating while making record losses.

GMAC- Only thing GM owns that makes a profit.

Obviously Chrysler is on the ropes and a step away from Cerberus chopping them up(afterall, that's what Cerberus does). So Chrysler has every reason to agree to a merger. GM has NO good reason to merge. Maybe they're after the fullsize cars and tech transfer from Diamler-Benz, but losing GMAC, the only chance they have a making money will be the last nail in the coffin. You think that because GM is so huge that they will be bailed out and can't fail, it's not true. If it loses its finance arm and is saddled with more product overlap from Chrysler, it will have to be chopped up and sold off. This is only truely good for Cerberus because Chrysler doesn't have a choice and GM doesn't need it.
            1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
            1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Excellent....your articulated post really puts it all in perspective.

Myself, the only Chrysler division I can see surviving is the Jeep brand.

Comment

Exactly why Chrysler bought AMC, for the Jeep brand. Lots of promises, we won't close this, etc. Yeah right.

Comment

Did anybody think anything good could come from a company who named itself after the three headed dog that gaurds the gates of HELL?

Cerberus
                  From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Jump to: navigation, search
                  This article is about the mythical three-headed dog. For other uses, see Cerberus (disambiguation).

Cerberus, watercolour by William BlakeIn Greek mythology, Cerberus or Kerberos (Greek Κέρβερος, Kérberos), the ker or daimon of Erebos[1] was the hound of Hades, a monstrous three-headed dog[2] with a snake for a tail and snakes down his back like a mane, whose analogs in other cultures are hellhounds. Other hell hounds included Orthus, his two-headed brother. Cerberus guarded the gate to Hades and ensured that spirits of the dead could enter, but none could exit. Among his siblings are Chimera and the Hydra. He is the offspring of Echidna and Typhon. In Dante's Inferno,[3], he appears as the guardian of the Circle of Gluttony, and is described as having a beard on each head. Cerberus is often described as once an ordinary pup, when he was mutated and captured by Hades to guard the gates of Tartarus across the river Styx. He has an appetite for live meat/flesh and attacks anyone but spirits. He is Hades's watch-dog
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

the mythology thing is pretty funny! and strangely honest for a company like Cerberus.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

hahahaha

this will never happen but just to be on the safe side i will switch to imports.

Comment

I'm still trying to figure out how this mess will affect me continuing to fix up all these old Chevys I have and the old Mopars my wife has.

Our late models are about 10 years old now, parts are starting to be discontinued at the dealerships....
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Not A Duster
                          Originally posted by ls7gto

sounds like you actually think that Chrysler is the leader in quality. : Remember they used our bail out cash to build ....K cars. In my opinion they havent built anything I wanted since 72, and AMC died before Renault.

Mmmmm - might want to check your facts:

The was no "bail out." At least not in terms of the sort of BS that just happened with Wall Street...There were substantial loan guarantees. (Loans that were paid out almost 10 years early if I recall correctly.)

I never said on the same scope as what just happened. but face it without the loans , they would have been belly up years ago.
                          Reading , Pa
                          Good Guys rodders rep.
                          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                          X