Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone own or manage a repair shop/garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone own or manage a repair shop/garage?

I'm curious if there are any repair shop owners that rely on their garage for their main source of income? If so, how long have you been doing it and what is the best and worst part of it? Knowing what you know now, would you do it all over again?

Here is my reason for the questions: I've been offered the opportunity to take over an existing garage. The main jobs are used cars from two nearby dealerships. The shop does basic repairs, inspections, oil changes, etc... They currently employ two mechanics. The profit is "OK". Between my wife's full time job and the shop, we could make ends meet, although we would need to make some changes. The shop is located about 6 miles from my house. I know the current owner pretty well, although I have not personally done business with him in the past. I have a lot more to add along with more questions, but I will wait until a few people reply.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Does anyone own or manage a repair shop/garage?

affordablehonestautomotive.com

It isnt my main source of income yet, but I hope within the next year for it to be. I have a plan set in motion for it to be. My main source of income covers me right now for keeping my taxes straight. I run my own repair facility on the side, evenings and weekends. Currently I am advertising mobile auto repair, I go to the customers house for 80% of what I do. The rest I have towed in and do on a hoist. I dont have a "garage" per say, I have the garage at my house that I use. I rent space at a friends shop when nessesary, also rent his wrecker when needed. I never knew the amount of buricratic nonsence that goes into running a repair facility. Where is this shop located that you are thinking of taking over?

Comment

The shop is located near Wake Forest, NC. It is already set up with three two post lifts, tire changing and balancing equipment, arbor press, diagnostic computer, troubleshooting software, HVAC machine for refrigerant recovery, etc... The deal would include me leasing the equipment from the current owner with the intent of purchasing it after 12 months.

Comment

not a bad deal, does the current owner keep the licenses and property stuff in order or are you goinfg to have to?

Comment

Originally posted by 70.5CAMARO
          not a bad deal, does the current owner keep the licenses and property stuff in order or are you goinfg to have to?
          I would be renting the property from him. He operates a used car dealership out of the other 1/2 of the building. Thanks for bringing this point up. I need to talk to him about the licensing and regulations.

Comment

unless you have tons of money ....
            that is why I have been an employee for 25+ years , hard to go into business without losing [loosing ? hee hee ]tons of money and not being able to handle it
            2 employees to take care of , makes things tougher

Comment

Some years ago I helped manage a repair shop that belonged to a friend. We didn't have an income stream like this shop has from the used car lots, but here's what I found - everyone who comes in is angry at you because their car's broken, and it doesn't matter how nice you are or how good a deal you make them - they're mad and you're standing there telling them it's going to cost them money. I'll give you an example. A lady came in with a VW square back (as I said, this was a while ago) with a fried engine. It just so happened that the shop owner had a good used engine. He offered to sell her the engine for $100 (he didn't have much in it) and install it for another $100. He felt sorry for her - single mother and such. She proceeded to stand in the lobby and SCREAM at him because he was trying to take advantage of her just because she was a woman and on and on. This is just the kind of crap that comes with the territory. If you're not prepared to deal with this, don't go there.

The deal is this - when you work for someone, you have a boss to please. When you run a shop (or are self-employed with a need to interface with the public), EVERYONE who comes in the door is your boss, and you'll never know what will make each individual happy. Couple that with the fact that most customers are pissed that their car is broken, and you get what I described above.

I wouldn't do it, personally. I went back to my Government job with my tail between my legs, and was thrilled that they took me back.

Dan

Comment

Tough call to make.

I won't discourage the entrepreneurial spirit if they have a solid business plan......but given the current economic climate, it woudn't be the wisest thing to embark on at this time.

Not saying never venture out on your own, but I'd wait at least another 8 months before even considering the endeavor.

Comment

oddly enough, I would say that 60-70% of my customers are not really all that angry their car is broken they just want to get it fix, so that they can keep going, and they came to me becasue I wasnt charging what the dealership was. My shop rate is $50 an hour and I usually boost book time about 1/2 and hour

Comment

fifty bucks an hour ?
                    I wonder if lawyers stab each other in the back like this
                    make them really happy - pay them to work on their car

when I did side work for extra pay , it was what my dealer charged per hour was what I charged
                    I didn't hit them with vile sales taxes though and skipped the 200% parts markup

Comment

I probably overstated when I said EVERYONE was angry. We had some lovely customers who were just happy to get their cars fixed. But enough of them were pissed that that is what I remember from the experience. I'm not a confrontational kind of guy (can't we all just get along?) so this really wore on me. I was glad to get out of it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                        fifty bucks an hour ?
                        I wonder if lawyers stab each other in the back like this
                        make them really happy - pay them to work on their car

when I did side work for extra pay , it was what my dealer charged per hour was what I charged
                        I didn't hit them with vile sales taxes though and skipped the 200% parts markup
                        Spidey, our shop rate is 78.00, and 90 for motor homes and heavy trucks. we have a tech that does side work for 25.00, and openly takes work from the shop. It pisses me off because as most people no ...its tough out there!
                        As for this topic, Ive been everything from a service mgr to a tech , in dealerships to independents. family owned ,auto groups and national chains. all I know is I like doing I sure don't miss dealing with Irate customers, parts houses, and whinning ,bitching techs(like me)!! Oh and the jack-offs that think they know WTF they are talking about, because 1) They read it on line or in a mag, 2)their son, brother, neighbor is a mechanic and he told them,3)and because they used to work on cars .
                        OK done ranting.....if I could do it all over, I be a talent scout for a Brothel. Doug
                        Reading , Pa
                        Good Guys rodders rep.
                        "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                        Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

50 an hour is sufficiant to pay the bills adn put a coin in my pocket

Comment

glad my employees don't have your sunny disposition.Id most definitely be broke!Most loss of money for employers is the lack of good employees!
                            Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                            unless you have tons of money ....
                            that is why I have been an employee for 25+ years , hard to go into business without losing [loosing ? hee hee ]tons of money and not being able to handle it
                            2 employees to take care of , makes things tougher
                            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by CaminoKid
                              Most loss of money for employers is the lack of good employees!
                              Most definitely agreed.
                              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X