Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone own or manage a repair shop/garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does anyone own or manage a repair shop/garage?

Thank you to everyone that has posted up to this point. As I imagined, there are many different opinions on this matter. Like many of you, I have also seen local garages succeed while others in the same general area fail. I have a lot of decisions to make. For those of you that have managed or owned a garage before, I may contact you privately with additional questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordplay0621
      If you get into the Business, make sure you control all or most of the Decisions on how the property is used. The dealership will try to take advantage of you since your right there with them, and expect you to do thier work cheaper cause they are doing you a favor. Charge everyone the same no matter what.(Just like owning a Bar).
      I would charge the same, but if they are giving you alot of work then you might want to give them a break. I had one lot that was sending at least 10 cars of there own and referring the customers to me, so I didn't charge them the same as anyone else.

Comment

I ran my own shop for a few years, no employees, didn't make much money at it (mainly because I didn't have to! wife has a good job). There are two shops in town I recommend to friends who need work, one has been here over 50 years, the other probably half that, both are run by the son of the guys who started the shops.

Seems that if you are fair and honest, you'll get a good reputation, and you won't have trouble making money...but you will have to work a lot of hours and put up with some BS along the way.

Is it right for you? that's not something any of us can tell you.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by 70.5CAMARO
          50 an hour is sufficiant to pay the bills adn put a coin in my pocket
          Wow!!!, $50 bucks and hour, that's cheap. My friend Steve charges $90 an hour, granted he specializes in VW and Audi, but that is his Labor Rate. And his customers are happy to pay it, since the dealer is over $100. And the truth of the matter is with the economy the way it is, at 90 bucks an hour he's still having problems paying the bills, and he has two employees to worry about.

And as is said in all new businesses, it takes about 5 years before you start seeing any real return.

Comment

True that.

It also takes good management, as many businesses are
            lost to poor management.

Comment

.good management is most important,but the one thing that is even more important is HONESTY.Being genuine to the customer will always pay off.Never pretend to be what you are not.And always have the replaced parts on hand to verify your position.HONESTY,HONESTY,HONESTY.
              Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

hot dog stand

Comment

feel free to PM me...

we could crunch some numbers.... 8)

al
                  "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Working...
                  X