choppin the balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choppin the balls

ok this thread is a question on having your pets spade or nuetered. my wife wants to have my dog chopped, I live in the country on a dead end dirt road last house actually. I dont see a reaso nfor it, He is a mutt, half pit bull, and the other half is half rot and half shepherd. and he is the biggest baby you have ever seen. just turned one year old

Re: choppin the balls

My opinion is if you're not gonna breed him, get 'em snipped. It's one less thing to cause problems as far as cancer goes. It's also the responsible thing to do. I had both my dogs done at six months and it didn't affect them one bit.
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

You ever notice , Its always the women that want the dog's to get the treatment ?

sigpic

Comment

I'm definitely with Bamfster on this one. There are all kinds of health reasons to do it, and really no good reasons not to unless you plan to breed him. Also, the world has enough puppies that have to be killed every year because there are too many of them, and there is no reason to add to that. You can't blame the dog for doing what dogs do if they have the equipment, and he's gonna do it if he possibly can. That's just nature. He'll also be easier to train and handle, but there hasn't been any big change in personality in any of mine over the years. Beaux the Wonder Dog does not seem to miss his.

Dan

Comment

The cat is neutered, and if he wasn't he would be. No need to breed a Domestic Shorthair, there's way too many of 'em as is.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

My cats are gonna get fixed as soon as they are old enough.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

With that title, I was afraid to open this thread, lmao!

Comment

Yeah, no kidding.

Getting our dog at the pound last year I noticed a couple full rows of Pits and Pit mixes that would never leave the place alive. Don't want to get into the Pit argument 'cept I always say they're wonderful dogs, except for when they aren't. Most owners of male pits are pretty proud of their dog's you-know-whats hanging down there, that's kinda what their whole thing is about, so expect disapproval from that corner...but a fixed one would make a better adult dog imo.

Anyhow, whatever the breed, we always have our dogs fixed. As long as the world isn't having a shortage of dogs, which it's not.

The other side of the argument might be that the reason you live out in the middle of nowhere is so you can do what you want, it would be more reasonable to leave the dog "natural" in an area like that.

Comment

You have to weigh the pro's and con's and make a decision for your own situation.
                  But, if your dog's role is for security, don't do it.

My boy got the snip at 6-months old, for many reasons.
                  Afterwards, the doc told me to take it easy with him, so the stiches had time to heal, but when Max got home he was ready to play and was bouncing around like a bunny rabbit. He didn't notice a thing and is now the best mannered dog with the greatest disposition. My recommendation for a family dog.

Comment

my dog luke is 1/2 pit 1/2 ridgeback
                    two dogs that can be big babys or monsters like any other animal
                    luke was sniped at 6 mounths and is a good well mannerd dog great with kids people etc... sounds mean when he barks is 65 pounds of solid dog and i would do it again
                    i think it is a lot in the up bring too but there is other factors too as stated by others here weigh the pros and cons for you and your dog luke knows no difference

this is luke with the family
                    good luck what ever your choice may be

Comment

Besides, that operation MADE Frankie Valley. Can you imagine "Big Girls Don't Cry" in a baritone?

Dan

Comment

Guard dog....No
                        Family pet...Yes
                        Dumb ass yard dog...Yes

My female golden needs fixed the other two are.....Supposed to lessen risk of cancer

Comment

our shepherd is a female - my wife wanted puppies -- after a while we realized we could not train away her separation anxiety or whatever you call it, and we made the decision to have her fixed.

She's a more well behaved dog now.

If this dog is an in the house family pet - having him fixed is the right thing to do.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I had the same debate when I first got my chocalate lab, Luke. I left him "natural" for about the first year and a half, thinking that I'd like to possibly breed him some day. He is a good-looking dog with a great build, so I thought he would make a good stud. The problem is that he is also an inside dog and is part of the family. After he fully "matured" he became pretty much unbearable. He would listen to me, but would totally ignore my mom and sister, and was pretty hard to train. He would also hump ANYONE who would come in the yard. The worst was when friends would come in the yard with little kids and right away he would tackle the kids and start doing the deed. He was never aggressive (labs usually have a pretty passive disposition), but he was just doing what his body was telling him. Even when I would yell at him or discipline him for "loving" someone, he would look at me sheepishly, like, "I'm sorry, I really couldn't help it"...

I finally had him snipped and it really calmed him down. He became easier to train, calmer, and much better around people. He still occasionally tries to do the deed to people not knowing that hes shooting blanks, but its much less frequently than before.

Here he is "sneaking" into one of my pictures. He does this a lot. He often poses in front of my vehicles while I am taking pictures even without me asking him.

Here he is posing in front of my 05 the day I brought it home from the dealership...

And here he is doing the same pose in front of the 05 after 2 years worth of tweaking it...

Smartest dumba$$ I've ever known.
                            Still plays with trucks....

Comment

its all I can do to keep this guy from being clipped. Im fighting for him though.

Comment

Working...
                              X