wide tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wide tires

I am thinking of putting 8 or 1o inch wide tires on the front of my 70 camaro, rears will roughly be 12-14, its and open pallette right now. the suspension is going to be stiffer and I plan on having the wheels offeet roughly the edge of the fender both front and rear. Its going to be a street mainly car and occasional track car.

Re: wide tires

8's should ROCK but I would be careful about getting too wide and changing up the geometry too much and possibly making it hard to handle - - - - - been there done that but not with a Cammy.

Comment

just fix the fenders, you can run any width tire you want

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Quality control just ain't what it should in the case of that warped, ill-fitting hood.

Gumballs and flares up front just look wrong.....on a 911 Porsche, OK, but on this? I don't think the Chapparal Camaros had flares this wide in the front.

LOL....back on point.

Too wide a tire in the front can be just as bad as too narrow a footprint.

Too wide a tire will mean added rolling resistance, affecting not only performance, but fuel economy.

8's will be just fine........10's up front would be ridiculous, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          just fix the fenders, you can run any width tire you want

There's a bright yellow version of the car, same flares and spoiler, not one mile away from me.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

You wont get a negative comment from me here.That Camaro looked bad ass.Guess its a love or hate thing.I think sec gen Camaros looks good with that kind of flares.It screams trans am racing at its best.

I have 295x50x15 on 10 inch rims all around on the Velle,and its a better handling car at the track days with those tires,than the previous 235x60 and 265x50.

The downside of wide tires in front,are the roads with bad asphalt.The tires will always try to climb in the tracks.You get used to it..

The Pro-Touring thing havent got me totally.I think its great that the cars handle well and so,but the sides on the cars look too neutral for me.The look of the Trans am racing,was best in 68-72.Wide tires and flares was the thing that really made the cars stand out.

I actually saw a set of that kind of flares on craigslist for sale.New..Cant find them now.Dont remember what city or stae i saw them.

Comment

Camaro looks bad-ass.

Anything over 8" in front will have the car steering you on bad asphalt. Not a problem on the track but otherwise it gets old pretty fast. On a fifteen inch rim the limit to inward offset is the steering, perhaps with a really big diameter wheel you could get more and then use a wider rim.

Comment

btw that Camaro hood can be fixed...with twenty pounds of 'glass, Bondo and add'l bracing underside, and then when you get it out in the sun it'll be warped in a whole new way. That's what I did to my Challenger so I could put nice paint on it. On an El Camino I just rattle-canned one semi-flat black.

Comment

I dont think its the 10 inch rims that make the bad behaviour of track climbing on bad asphalt.I had the 235x60 and the 265x50 on the same rims,and it was nice.The 295 started it..

Original 8 inch Corvette ralleys have 4 inches in and out.I have 5 inches in and out.

Btw.The 73-77 chevelle,and the 70-81 Camaro shares the same front suspension.

Comment

my 73 camaro has 295 50 15 on the back and 245 60 15 on the front the car is droped? who knows because i put it together and apart and together trying to make it sit like i wanted but it looks tough and handles nice

Comment

On the '63, I run P225/60's front & rear on 7" wheels, which produces 8" of tread on the ground, all-round !!
                      Very good handling car, even on bad asphalt ..

Good luck, : )

Comment

245/60x15 on 8" rims all around and the car handles better than new. Of course the CPP steering box, sway bar, poly bushings and disk brakes helped a little, too.

Comment

Looks a bit to much like a 4WD with to big a tire.

Comment

well there not gonna be 35 inches tall.

Comment

Stiil looks wrong...Hot Wheels come to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X