Got the Duster in the 12's........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the Duster in the 12's........

Took the Duster to Milan Dragway's Friday night King of Street race. The place was packed so I knew I wouldn't get many runs in. We decided that instead of going for consistency and reaction time, like I usually do, (it is a bracket car after all) that we were just going to go for the best ET possible. It usually runs in the low 13's. The air was cool, I had just put on a brand new set of Firecore spark plug wires and installed new NGK plugs. I decided to do a harder launch than I normally do (around 2,000 rpm foot braking) and bumped up my shift points to 6,100 (usually shift at 5,800). My reaction time was dismal, as my husband kept telling me, DON'T worry about the tree, just leave when you are ready. The result was a new best by far....12.91 @ 103.7 mph with a new best sixty foot of 1.81. All throttle, no bottle.

Now I have a legitimate small block 12 second street car. heh.

I'm pretty happy considering how mild the combo really is. '68 340 (stock rods and original forged crank), stock unported X heads, comp XE274 hydraulic cam, Edelbrock AirGap intake, Holley 650 carb, cheapo flow tech headers. PTC 9.5" converter, home built 727 trans with 28" tall drag radials and 3.91 gears. The car weighs 3,500 pounds with me in it.

Video of my 12 second run against a Ford Focus that didn't know how to stage, I sat on my converter a little longer than I wanted waiting for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-9fdaD6JFY

And I ran it with the car seat still in the back, you can see it in the picture below. People think I put it in there for a prop...but no,I have a 6 year old that rides with me all the time. Once I beat a guy and later his wife came up to me and said that he was embarrassed to have been beaten by a Duster with a car seat in it.

Re: Got the Duster in the 12's........

That's great! now just put some juice to it and you'll have an 11 second small block street car

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by dustergirl

And I ran it with the car seat still in the back, you can see it in the picture below. People think I put it in there for a prop...but no,I have a 6 year old that rides with me all the time. Once I beat a guy and later his wife came up to me and said that he was embarrassed to have been beaten by a Duster with a car seat in it.
      Classic! Congratulations.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Good job.....love the car seat!!!
        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          That's great! now just put some juice to it and you'll have an 11 second small block street car

Don't tempt me! I've already got the local Auto Value guy egging me on about spraying it.

Comment

Way to go....I hope to get my Chevelle in the 12's next year....

And the 11's....And the 10's....hehehe

We'll see.....Hopefully we can meet up at Milan when I make it out there in the spring.

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by dustergirl
              Originally posted by squirrel

Don't tempt me! I've already got the local Auto Value guy egging me on about spraying it.
              SPRAY IT! SPRAY IT! SPRAY IT!

That's how I got my 12 second small block to go 10's......
              Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Congrats...my buddy is super-annoyed he can't get his 383 Duster INTO the 13s, much less out-of-em...

Comment

cool car...nice combo

keep it up!

al

'its not a ride without nitrous oxide!

"IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Wow, congrats. That is a beautiful car

Comment

I'm green with envy. I showed your video clip to my 7 year old daughter, she may become a carjunkie yet!
                      a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

great, congrats!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tcbnj
                          I'm green with envy. I showed your video clip to my 7 year old daughter, she may become a carjunkie yet!
                          now that is cool, I'm glad she liked it!

thanks guys!

Comment

Good job! But no spray! Bottles run out - boost is forever. I say a nice turbo. I know it's pricier, but it's almost free HP once it's working.

LOVE the car seat. I built a 318 w/Racer Brown cam and a Q-jet for my bro - in a '70 Valiant 4 door. Probably ran low 15's or so (never had it on the track) but it was WAY quicker than it looked. His daughter was still young at the time, so it had a car seat in it at all times. Completed the look as we blew off Trans Ams of the day (this must have been 1978 or so).

Later
                            Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X