Bloodhound rocket car sniffs out 1,000-mph land speed record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bloodhound rocket car sniffs out 1,000-mph land speed record

Speed enthusiasts hope to build a rocket car that can go faster than a bullet from a handgun -- and break the world land speed record.

Re: Bloodhound rocket car sniffs out 1,000-mph land speed record

"The wheels on the jet- and rocket-powered car, will spin at more than 10,000 times per minute."

Mmmmm, I wonder what they are going to use for tires ??

:-\

Comment

Machined aluminum or steel billets maybe?

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I'd think they'd have to go the route of feather weight metals like titanium so the centrifugal force wouldn't shatter them. 10,000 rpm, damn.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
          "The wheels on the jet- and rocket-powered car, will spin at more than 10,000 times per minute."

Same thing they used the last time they took the record: tires that aren't made out of rubber...
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
            Originally posted by White Monster

Same thing they used the last time they took the record: tires that aren't made out of rubber...
            Does that still make em tires?
            1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
            1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

From www.Dictionary.com

Tire

noun
              1. a ring or band of rubber, either solid or hollow and inflated, or of metal, placed over the rim of a wheel to provide traction, resistance to wear, or other desirable properties.
              2. a metal band attached to the outside of the felloes and forming the tread of a wagon wheel.

Here's a link to the official website. I'm fascinated...

ユウのFX攻略ガイドでは、管理人のユウがFX会社の選び方からトレード手法まで詳しく解説しています。主に海外FXで大きく稼ぐ方法にスポットを当てており、小額から大きな利益を得たい方に役立つ情報を提供していきます。
              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

the website never calls it a tire, "but today running computational fluid dynamics (CFD) with multi-million elements we can compute the drag of the wheels and struts at Mach 1.4 and optimise the shape to minimise drag and shock effects." they only say wheel

Comment

Originally posted by 70.5CAMARO
                  the website never calls it a tire, "but today running computational fluid dynamics (CFD) with multi-million elements we can compute the drag of the wheels and struts at Mach 1.4 and optimise the shape to minimise drag and shock effects." they only say wheel
                  Art Arfons would have told those guys to shove the computational fluid dynamics up their ass.

Empirical thinking + metal + lathe = All our heroes.

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Art Arfons wasn't trying to go 1000 mph.
                    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                      Art Arfons wasn't trying to go 1000 mph.
                      If Art could've, he damn well would've! ;D
                      Reading , Pa
                      Good Guys rodders rep.
                      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Working...
                      X