How you found your present ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How you found your present ride

I think how I got my Z was pretty unusual, I was a high school kid living at home at the time. One of my father's old high school buddies came over to visit one day to catch up on the years- I'd never met him before because he lived in Kentucky, we lived in Pennsylvania. Turns out this guy is a car nut. I happen to be flipping through the pages of one of the car rags we were getting at the time (maybe a Motor Trend?) when Dad's friend Bob sees what I'm reading. So he asks if I'm into cars at all - who me?? - so we start shooting the shit about cars for probably the better part of an hour or so. He left later that day after visiting with my parents for awhile but about a month later he calls my Dad up. He asks my Dad if he remembers the Z that he bought back in High School (the one my Dad and he used to cruise in). Dad says yeah. He says to him that he kept it in a barn all these years and wanted to know if I would be interested in having something like that. He warns my father that it needs a lot of work, but it did only have 55k original miles on it and I could HAVE it if I wanted it.

This is where I note that I was blessed with a cool Dad as I think he was just as excited as if the car were given directly to him - he didn't bother to ask if I'd be interested (it's a no-brainer), he just finished the conversation with Bob and then tells me I now own a new project Z car!

That was 10 years ago. I've since finished fixing the old Z up and have been driving it during the summers ever since. It's cool when Dad drives it though, as he used to drive it back when he was a teenager.

Comment

PENNYSAVER got the other from the DOLLARSAVER ;)

Comment

I found my 1969 Plymouth Road Runner in a barn outside of Wamego, Kansas (The home of NHRA Super Comp legend, Larry Piper) back in 1986. I worked at a Green Light Auto Parts store in Manhattan, about 15 miles west of Wamego. Under the glass on the counter, next to the cash register, I put a small want ad that read, "Wanted, 1968-1970 Road Runner, Satellite, Belvedere or parts." A customer told me he knew where one was in a barn in Wamego but wasn't sure if the guy was wanting to sell it. After aquiring the owner's phone number I made an appointment to meet with him at the barn.

When he opened the big, weathered barn door, there it stood in all it's rusted, dirty, rat infested glory. The old Plymouth had been sitting since 1976 where he parked it for reasons he could not remember. He did, however, remember selling the hood, front bumper, grill and lower valance to a buddy of his who hit a tree with his Road Runner. The old Carter AVS was long gone and the weather (the barn roof leaked like a sieve) and animals had taken their toll on the engine through the 4 holes in the 335hp 383 intake manifold. (It is truly amazing what corrosive power mouse urine has on valves and piston rings) Three HUGE rolls of Owens Corning pink insulation were sitting on the now rusted and dented roof. The interior (that smell still haunts me) was an homologation of rodent droppings (literally POUNDS of the stuff!) and urine, rotting carpet and mildew. Through all the garbage, however, I could clearly see the factory Hurst floor shifter poking through what remained of the chewed up rubber boot. Hmmm.... a 4-speed car with a bench seat. Just what I wanted!

Although the car sat on four flat F70/14 whitewall tires wrapped around the stock steelies with full (yes, FULL) Plymouth hubcaps, I was able to see under the car to identify the 8-3/4" rear end rather than a Dana 60. Darn! Further inspection revealed a nice pair of factory dual exhaust tips.

After looking it over closely for about half an hour, I asked the guy how much he wanted for the car. He responded, "Well, there are at least three hundred dollars worth of parts on it, so I want $300." I know it is an insult to a fellow's ego if you just whip out the money he is asking for without trying to bargain with him, so I asked if he would take $200." He stammered a bit and mumbled something under his breath and again told me the car was worth at least $300. I told him thanks for letting me look and I would get back to him. As I turned to the door, he blurted out, "Two-fifty!" I turned back around, smiled and shook his hand. "Deal!"

I returned the next evening with four bald tires on wheels that held air and an open trailer. It was Saturday and my buddy Jay and I pulled the B-Body out of the barn with his 4x4 and winched it up on his trailer. Man, the funky smell of that car hangs in my memory to this day! We got it back to Topeka with just a few glitches and parked it in my parents' driveway. The next morning, Mothers Day, my mom came out of the house to get the newspaper from the curb. Back at the breakfast table, she calmly sat down, opened the paper and told me point blank, "Get that piece of sh*t out of my driveway." Three weeks later, after a LOT of hard work and relentless help from my buddy, Jay, the car was up and moving on its own.

I drove the old Plymouth as daily transportation until 1996 with two different power plants. The original 383 was WAY beyond repair, so I salvaged the heads, intake and crank out of it and bolted all of it together with a 400 block with new rings and bearings. It lasted for 40,000 miles until, on Christmas Eve, 1993. I was in front of a buddy's house, getting ready to show off. I pushed in the clutch, brought the engine up to about 5500 rpm and side-stepped the left pedal. BAM! Wubbawubbaclankclank uuuuurrrrrch! The engine ground to a halt. I was stuck in the middle of a procession of holiday sight-seers in the Potwin area of Topeka. Ugh! I pushed it off the side of the road and called for help...

The new year brought with it a shiny new 440 to replace the 400 that had swallowed an exhaust valve to end its life. I drove it with the 440 until 1996 when I bought a 1971 Dodge Demon for $400 bucks with a slant six. Out came the slant and in went the RB engine. I sold the Demon in 2003 but retained the 440. The engine is now sitting next to the Road Runner in my garage. The new quarter panels are hanging next to the bird that my ex wife purchased for me waaaaaay back in 1995.

Maybe one of these days I will put it all back together before I sell it to some kid for $250....

Ron

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Its worth at least $300 in parts. I will give a $300 for it ;)

Comment

I was getting bored with my second 355/ turb 400 auto s10 and my son and I had just put a 350 4 barrel / 700R in a92 red camaro RS . It was so much fun. It would brake and handle as well as set you back in the seat. I asked if he would mind if I got an Iroc . To my dismay he said he liked having the only one on our road. So I went looking for another s10 only the last body style for the next sbc swap. We live in the middle of in. and I had driven as far as 80 miles looking for just the right one (red or blk. with air and a 5 speed) well I found one down around bloomington in the trader paper. called on it but when we got there it was gone. But on the way back home I stopped at a little country garage that had a 87 red TA . I went inside and asked if it was for sale.He said he wasn't sure maybe It was in for EFI work but he wasn't having too much luck.He called the the man who brought it in .Thats when I found out it was a GTA and had the 350 TPI motor PW,PL,PS,Tilt ,Cruise,full gages ,and 4Wheel disks w/limited slip,and the 16" snow flake wheels. When he asked if I'd pay $3000 for it and I must have taken a little to long to answer while I thot it over he asked how about $2000 (now I was probably going to pay the 3 or close to it ) but when he said 2 I said I could probably do that! ( aleat he didn't have to pay to fix it .) Just a weak full pump .WE went back down the next day in the 92RS and took all the curvy roads home to east of Indy . That trip home was a blast! Most people still think we have two camaros!

Comment

Ive always wanted to build a car from the ground up and really love a 66 or 67 Chevelle. But to me alot of people like those years so idecided to look for something alittle different. I have always loved a 57Cadillac Eldorado Then i found out for even a basket case with only some parts easy 10 grand. then on ebay I started looking at early 50's caddy. I decided that i like either a 52 or 53 series 62 body style. While I was working on a job up in Greenbay, Wi there was a 52 for sale in the upper part of Wi. Damm near the U.P. of Michigan. I went up there to look at it. Come to find out it was a Series 60S 50th annivesary . It was in great shape. I had never seen an early 50s Caddy only on tv or on the movies. I didnt have the money at the time so I didnt bid on it. I wish like hell i did for what i know now.

After seeing this beautiful car I knew that this is the car for me. I showed my wife pictures of it and she said that it would be something she would be interested in. HE!HE!HE! Ive learned that you both need to be on the same page even if if your not reading the same part.I found a 52 Series 62 on ebay for $600 and talked the wife into letting me buy it.

I called a buddy of mine to see if he could help me pick it up because it was close to his house. So i borrow a friends flatbed trailer for hauling tractors and farm equipment. cant use any wimpy trailers with a car like that. so i head up the road and my buddy calls and wouldnt be able to help me. so i head up the road. once i get there it only took me about 4 hrs to load it by myself. I found out that cars that sell for 600$ dont roll all that great if not at all without lots of perswasion. with a winch that was too small and 2 busted comealongs i finally get my sleeping beauty home.

After i get it home and start making my plans the wife finally comes out and really looks at it and she asks me how much i plan on spending it . Of couse i say lots because an ENGINE BAY that big NEEDS a big block with some kind of power adder. I have to have the same kind of OH MY GOD feeling that my turbo hayabusa has that i have been lsr racing

and I tend not to do anything half assed. This car needs to be a hotrod not just a cool cruiser. well not to long later I found in a local autotrader a 53 series 62 that was supposidly complete. I tell my wife about it so she tells me that I need to go look at it. So whose gonna argue with a wonderful woman like that. so i did.

The car had new shocks, tires, brakes and the motor was rebuilt. the car was for sale for over a year.I give a look over and everything was there. Me being mainly into bikes didnt quit know what i was gitting into. so i bought the car.

NOW its 2 Years later an i finally am able to driver this wonderful beauty. I found out quickly that theres not alot of stuff out there for Caddys.

The shocks that were on it were only on hand tight . the tires were dry rotted , the car leaked as much fuel outside as it used it inside, wiring JUST ALITTLE SCARY no isulation , melted wires, you know good wiring. sezed up wheel cylinders, a master cylinder that would push in but not return. I found out that the motor is out of a 51caddy.
              so Ive plugged along fixing things as i could afford to. now she fires up onthe first bump of the starter even when its below freezing all the lights work very brightly with the ron francis wiring and new gm altenator. the 4 " whitewalls look awesome . Im not much on cars with ww but this one needs it .

I was pretty successful with my Hayabusa LSR racing and it was pretty blinged out but hardly anyone would give it the time of day. With the Caddy its a whole new experiance. Everywhere iI go people always stopping to talk and ask about the car.

My daughter was 3 when i started and every old car she saw she would call them cadillacs. Plus when i was working on it we took lots of trips while it was on the jack stands. She had us going to the gas station alot so even she has a bad motor in it.

Busa Todd

Comment

i seen a vega running around town and liked it and awhile later i was in a hobby shop and found a die cast baldwin motion super vega and bought it then i had to have one of my own

i was at the junkyard getting a wheel for my daily driver and asked if he had any vegas and he did i paid 300 bucks for it
                how i bought it

current picture the date is wrong

then about 2 years later i got the chance to buy the vega i seen running around town and its now my second vega

then i was told about a vega hatchback and wagon sitting in a fenced in yard and got ahold of the owner and bought them

Comment

i was out looking for a new daily driver after my $600 ford died(18 months with no issues) and there was a new used car place opening up right next to my work. looked over, they had some cool sports cars, walked to lunch one day and saw a bunch of 4th gen f-bodies. stopped in and looked and found my 99 Z28, hardtop, M6. only 72k on the clock and at a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by doublebusacaddy

NOW its 2 Years later an i finally am able to driver this wonderful beauty. I found out quickly that theres not alot of stuff out there for Caddys.

Busa Todd
                    Geeze Todd, I've been waiting a long time to see that beast. When is it coming down to Maxton?

Joe Roberts

Comment

Joe, how do you think I feel?? NARIDER posted some pictues of it on the project car posts. Im hoping to make it to the first meet at Maxton. Hows everything going with you? MERRY CHRISTMAS

Busa Todd

Comment

the 300 was for sale by an acquantaince (later good friend) down in NJ. Jerk after jerk didn't buy it. He posted it on a mopar site that he just wanted the remainder of what the last guy owed. and I had 72 hours to buy it. BTW: Paypal is my friend. Paid for it within 1hr of the post. My dad hooked up a trailer to his truck and we went down there a month later and snagged it.

My Challenger came from another good friend through a Mopar club I've belonged to for 9 years.
                        He popped online and we were IMing each other. We were talking about racing and the new challenger when out of the blue he says "Do you want a 1971 Challenger"

I'm like "of course"

He names a price, I reply I'm broke, but interested.
                        He says he and his wife will talk about it, but in 3 months we'd meet at a Chryslers @ Carlisle and take a look at it.

I took one look, and all the extra parts and we agreed on the price. I sold my Diplomat earlier that day and handed him the cash.

4 months later he drove up and dropped it off (he lives in WV)

Comment

I bought it, and I'm still PAYING for it.

Comment

The Diplomat I knew about, when it went up for sale I bought it sight unseen.

The Chevelle, I know the former owner. He kept getting in trouble with it.
                            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

My story starts in January 1970 when I was 11 years old. My dad took me to the NASCAR season opener at Riverside (we lived about 6 miles from the track) just as we did every year, and in the garages I saw the most beautiful Road Runners I had ever seen. These cars were incredible with front ends like a Corvette and big outrageous wings on the back and I was immediately and permanently taken - truly love at first sight! Superbirds were always rare in Southern California, but my desire for one never dimmed and I started looking for one when I got out of high school in 1976. I found one for sale behind Disneyland that belonged to Jim Radke and went to check it out. It was Petty Blue with a 440 and a 4 speed (as I recall) but I found it had been hit and the nose cone was molded in to the fenders when repaired and the bondo was cracking. To make matters worse the paint was still yellow in the trunk so it wasn't really a Petty Blue car, either. Jim was asking $2,500 for it but I passed on it thinking I would be able to find another one in better shape. If only I knew then what I know now!

Anyway, I was not able to find a decent Superbird that I could afford. The two extremes were either a beautiful car that was priced way beyond what I could afford, or a trashed car the seller wanted a ton of money for, even back then. This scenario repeated itself throughout the 70s and 80s as I graduated from college, started my career, and got married. I had a couple of jobs that took me all over the US and I would search high and low in every corner of the country I went to and I always found the same thing. I met lots of great people, but the cars I found were always either way out of reach price-wise or complete wrecks. It just never happened for me, but I never gave up.

Finally in the summer of 1989 I flew out to NJ to attend the show at Mopars at Englishtown and met Donnie Chapman out of West Virginia. Donnie was a true gentleman, a longtime Mopar guy, and he had just finished restoring a yellow 6 bbl Superbird and he was taking it around to all the shows that summer. We spent many hours talking about Superbirds and he shared a lot of what he knew about them with me. Barry Kanick was there searching for a Superbird too, and both of us had been looking for some time without any luck. Anyway, I gave Donnie my contact info and asked him to keep an eye out for me as I realized that to find one of these cars you needed to network with the guys who owned them as they knew where the cars were and who had them.

Well, a couple months passed but in late October I was working in Denver when my wife got a call from Donnie explaining who he was and that he had a line on a car in Kentucky he thought would be perfect for me. A 440 4bbl Superbird with a console auto in Lemon Twist with 72,000 miles on it. Donnie had never seen the car but he knew the guy who owned it and knew him to be a straight up guy. Donnie gave my wife the guy's contact info and I followed up with him. The car was unrestored and in good shape, but not perfect. That was exactly what I was looking for as I wanted a driver, not a museum piece. The price was a little more than I wanted to pay (isn't it always?) but my wife knew how badly I wanted one and she told me I would be crazy to pass this one up, so I jumped on it.

The car was exactly as it had been described, and was (and still is) in really nice original condition. I put 1,000 miles on it the day I bought it driving it from Williamsburg, KY, down to Dallas, TX. I had some close friends there and decided to leave it with them rather than drive it all the way to Riverside as I had originally planned. I had the car shipped from Dallas to Riverside and it was delivered on Thanksgiving Day in 1989. I have had the car now for over 18 years and it currently has almost 86,000 miles on it, but the best part is I was able to realize my childhood dream before I got too old to really enjoy it. I confess that sometimes I will be carrying in groceries or something and I will still just stop in the garage and think what an awesome car that is. No kidding! ;D

Comment

I'm back w/ another one its on the junkie project page . "Bird cat drug home" went by a friends old house to see if he sold it yet (the house )then I said the formula .I stalked it for a year till I had a place to put it.

Comment

Working...
                                X