Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone just scrapped this, But I have it now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone just scrapped this, But I have it now!

Remember this F250 from the other "Someone just scrapped this" thread?

Well, in true Car Junkie fashion, I managed to wrangle it away from the owner.
    Here's how it happened.

Over the summer, the truck wasn't for sale, no matter who, no matter what. Scrap prices were high, and it wasn't worth the owners time to try to sell anything. This truck was set aside, but it was only a temporary reprieve. Then the bottom fell out of the scrap market, leaving the guys who paid big money for the stuff, but didn't get rid of fast enough, high and dry. Now it's time to get back into selling parts again.

A few days ago they call me looking for a new bumper for their F650. It's over $1000 new. They get a wholesale discount bringing it to $880. Still too much, so they aren't going to buy it. I look around and find a dealer that wants to sell his for cost -50% to me, so I offer it to the guy in trade for the truck. He bites. I'll have the bumper in a few days, and then pick up the truck.

I basically own this truck now for $580. Not bad I think. I will post more pics and details when I pick it up, but I couldn't wait to share this score.

Re: Someone just scrapped this, But I have it now!

Andy, you are honestly my hero. Well played!

Looks like a killer truck, I can't wait for the full photo monte.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Score!!!....Good job bro.
      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Congrats and a big pat on the back for pulling it off . Love the look of old 3/4 ton and up trucks with those knarly 8 ply snow mud tires!

Comment

It's always nice to have a solid old 3/4-ton truck around. Stick or auto?

Comment

automatic

Comment

Nice truck Andy,looks really solid too.

Comment

WTG Andy, let me know if you find a Chevelle!!
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Andy - you are the man in so many ways it's crazy - once again - I hate you - but only because I'm so positively green with envy I could give the grinch a run for his money. That is my all time favorite ford truck body style... and that truck doesn't look rotten - as most I see. I'm betting it's FE powered too?

Very well done - for some reason - I'm just sure you'll have it running and driving in about 2 days with stuff you have laying around and about $20 in misc stuff from the parts store!

Bravo!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Nice catch!

I was wondering if anyone was gonna attempt a rescue of that big Ford....too nice an example to be crushed or parted out.

Comment

A truck for a bumper .... Mmmmmm ..... Not too bad at all !!!

;)

Comment

well done!!!

so what are your plans for it????

al
                        "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Nice score, looks pretty solid! Gotta love those old Ford trucks...
                          Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Screaming Detroit and I will be picking it up tonight.

The plan is to check it over to see what is wrong with it, collect whatever parts it needs over the Winter, then do the mechanicals and drive it as is. It will probably replace the GMC I'm building as the car trailer hauler because it's a 3/4 ton. Not sure if I will clean it up and make it shiney. If the paint seems like it will come back somewhat, I may take a buffer to it. At any rate, it will look killer towing my junk around. It reminds me of a guy who used to tow a pretty bad '55 Chevy with a nice '65 Chevy 3/4 4x4.

Anyone want to take a guess what might be wrong with it? People up here don't just give up on stuff like this. There has to be something wrong with it, motor or trans.
                            I say the transmission.

Comment

mechanical stuff is no biggy...

i would try re revive paint...lose the tow mirrors..

Q: i have never seen those lights before (below T lights)...aftermarket??did ford offer the tool box (in bed side-pass) in those yrs??

nice tow vehicle...kudos

al
                              "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X