Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone just scrapped this, But I have it now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Someone just scrapped this, But I have it now!

does it have the 360 FE? if so - that maybe why it's parked, or it may have blown the trans, who knows.

my temptation for it as a tow rig would be to put a mechanically injected turbo cummins I6 in it.... or a cat.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
      does it have the 360 FE? if so - that maybe why it's parked, or it may have blown the trans, who knows.

my temptation for it as a tow rig would be to put a mechanically injected turbo cummins I6 in it.... or a cat.
      I would tend to agree, the 360's were pigs to begin with, and I have heard a lot of horror stories about reliability, although I have never personally owned one. Since it's an auto, though, it may be slipping. C6's are pretty tough, tho, and you may be able to change the fluid and filter and bring it back. How are the floors, cab mounts, and inner fenders?
      Still plays with trucks....

Comment

C6 are tough as nails

I had a '92 F350 that was a fleet truck before I bought it - still had #36 on the fender, 351w/C6/10.24" 3.55.

The most amazing transformation on any vehicle I've owned was rebuilding the C6 in that truck with a mild shift kit, and installing a protorque "tow truck" converter. simply amazing.

I would highly recomend the protorque tow truck converter for this build if you go with an auto - the torque multiplication improvement over stock was amazing. I pulled a 24ft enclosed car trailer with that truck after the trans rebuild - and it did well with it - before the rebuild with the old stock converter - it would barely move my 3500lb boat up a ramp!

Comment

I've been wondering what gear ratio will be in it. I won't know until tonight after I read the codes off it.

The truck is extremely solid for this area. It is comparable to some stuff I've bought from CO, DE, MD, and Southern PA. It's not "New Mexico" solid, but it is enough to get excited about. The cab corners and inner fenders are very nice.

The mirrors are staying on it. They just add to the toughness of the truck, and I have to be able to see what going on behind me anyway.

Milner, If the trans is what condemned it to the scrap yard, I will look into that tow truck converter. Sounds like a good item to have.

Comment

protorque has helped me on a few projects - they are out of NY - and use what they sell in thier shop trucks, they've done a lot of stuff with the high power diesel guys too.

SWEEET truck - I agree -those "west coast" mirrors are tough - and tough to beat when you need to see what's in tow behind you!

Comment

The mirrors are totally bitchin' and should not be scrapped.

Wonder what the "sport" designation got you? I know the trailer specials and camper specials were oufitted differently.

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by nosnerd

Q: i have never seen those lights before (below T lights)...aftermarket??did ford offer the tool box (in bed side-pass) in those yrs??

Those are factory reflectors . Part of the Ranger package I think.

Comment

Well, we dragged it home on the trailer last night in pouring rain, and it was threatening to snow. We got soaked, and it was dark out by the time we got home, so no pictures. Woke up this morning to about an inch of the white stuff.

Here is what I know so far. It's a '72 F-250 and says Trailer Special on the fender. I don't know what the Sport Custom means yet. It has the 390, and a C-6 with a 3.73 Dana with posi, and 16.5 split rims. It has the tool box built into the passenger side bed, and has huge disc brakes in front. It appears that the 94k showing on the odometer would be correct, and the interior will clean up decent. The rubber floor mat is not worn or cracked.

What wheels fit these beasts? I want to get rid of the split rims.

Comment

For sure get rid of those split rims - they are suicide.

You have the luxury as I do - and all 3/4 + 8 lug owners have - pre '98... 8 on 6.5" bolt center.

Ford Dodge and Chevy all used the same bolt pattern - though there were some differences in the pilot hole diameter - some are lug centric, some are hub centric.

The '98 and up Fords have a metric bolt pattern with flat flange lug nuts.

For that truck the wheel choice will be important - I would be tempted to keep the vintage look and go with factory steel wheels with no hub caps - or maybe dog dishes and trim rings -- or perhaps powder coated wagon wheels?

265/75/16 LRE tires would be my recomendation - they are common OEM size so the junkyards should be full of them in decent shape. I would think you could score a nice set of OEM wheels and tires at a good price that would look right on that thing - I'm a huge fan of the alcoa OEM aluminum wheels they used on the pre '98 HD Fords - but, not sure they'd have the look you are wanting for this rig.

I'm incredibly jealous!

The 390 means you have nearly limitless low end torque at your disposal - I have a good aluminum intake for that if you're interested - with the FE C6 - you have an incredible foundation - just need to find out what parked it in the first place.

what a find!

Comment

Super glad to here that it's safe and sound at your place.It sitting at the scrap yard I was afraid it might get mauled by a front loader!

Comment

Working...
                      X