Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny what the new Canadian law states as "Street Racing"

LAWYER CHARGED WITH RACING

A London lawyer has been charged under Ontario's anti-racing laws after Lambton OPP clocked a car travelling almost 60 kilometres an hour over the posted speed limit Thursday morning. Police were conducting radar patrols on Highway 402 west at the Murphy Road overpass about 10:30 a.m. when they saw a car speeding. Police clocked the vehicle travelling 129 km-h in a posted 70 km-h area. Gordon Cudmore, 62, is charged with racing. His vehicle and licence were seized for seven days.

(All you need to be doing is x amount of speed over the limit - there doesn't even need to be another car beside you!!!)

Re: Funny what the new Canadian law states as "Street Racing"

I can't remember where I read or heard this, but, there's a new law in Virginia that states if your caught doing over 80 mph (even on the open highway) it's considered reckless driving and it's a $1000 fine. I don't think I'll be going to Virginia any time soon.
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

But hey if your running the Canon Ball Run, the $1000 might be worth it.

Comment

That law has actually been in effect for about a year in Ontario. There are some court challenges going on now, as many feel the roadside vehicle seizure is unconstitutional. Most of the car club sites in southern Ontario have links to the online petition against it. The current government and their appointed head of the provincial police force whipped up enough of a media frenzy to get the general public to buy in to the deal, but recently the backlash has been growing.

Usually kept me at 159 km/h or less though on the 100 km/h limit highways!! LOL

cheers
        Ed N.
        Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
        07 Mustang GT with some stuff
        88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

We can thank the rice rocket pilots for this one...not that this absurd law will make any appreciable dent in a street racing. What's worse, IMHO, is the inability of the mainstream press in Canada to differentiate between street racing (illegal) and drag racing (the organized, sensible and legal alternative to the former).
          Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

There's a great sign on the 401 in Ontario, near Whitby, I believe. Something to effect of "$50000 fine and seizure of vehicle at 130KM/H".

It might say thirty grand, it might say 140km, but it's pretty extreme. I coasted for a minute ;)

1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
            1997 Mustang GT
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C
              I can't remember where I read or heard this, but, there's a new law in Virginia that states if your caught doing over 80 mph (even on the open highway) it's considered reckless driving and it's a $1000 fine. I don't think I'll be going to Virginia any time soon.
              Sounds like the Canada law all over again...

Comment

Working...
              X