how would other carjunkies handle this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how would other carjunkies handle this

Getting ready to go to the track this sat I decided to change the oil only to find metal in the oil and in the filter. So, the engine has to come out and the money I've been saving for the 200-r4 will have to go toward fixing the motor but that's not the real dilemma. The real issue is I don't have a proper place to do the work as seen in the pic below of when I put the motor in.

So my options are to try doing it in my back yard again or trying to find a place to rent which is going to be difficult and expensive in my area.

What would you guys do?

Signed bummed junkie

Re: how would other carjunkies handle this

I'd do it right there. I've done things in worse places then that. Once we changed an intake manifold on a racecar in a cornfield. You're place doesn't lookthat bad.
    Cognizant Dissident

Comment

I'd throw some blue plastic tarps on the side, throw the plywood back down and go for it. It doesn't take that long to pull an engine and once you get it out, you can tear it down in the living room if you have to. Do this only if you're single.

Comment

and avoid adjusting the valves in the house.....that leads to a day of painting.....
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Sale at Home Depot for concrete and rental yard for the mixer. Wait four days until it's dry....When do you need it running?
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I'm with the rest of the lunatics. Looks like a suitable location to me.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Do it there. No snow? Temperatures above 1*F? Ice? About two months after this I helped a guy in his gravel drive way pull an engine out of a blazer and put in in a suburban, not fun, but do able. You live in paradise my friend ;)

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Bummer. Who built the motor last time? And where?

If it was done by a shop pull it out yourself and take it back to them. And tell 'em you want mucho 'consideration' for your current predicament and aggravation.

In the event you did the build-up yourself, well, seems like there's only one option staring you in the face. You're going to need to lift over the front clip this time 'round so for God's sake make sure the cherry picker is stable and you can roll the car out from under it.

As for living room teardowns and assemblies...I've re-assembled a half-dozen motors over the years but always had a decent situation in which to do it. Have to say that bitter personal experience teaches that an immaculately clean space is crucial for assembly work and subsequent engine longetivity, partic if you plan to wail on it in performance scenarios. While I'm sure there are many car junkie living rooms that fully qualify in this regard, I have a feeling the engine stand would wreak havoc on the shag carpet or hardwood...

As I am now reduced to a one-car garage I had my last motor professionally done and restricted myself to the engine pull and install. Maybe it's old age but this compromise didn't bother me in the least. As for the living room, these days it's only used to buff wheels and polish small chrome or billet items in the dead of winter, and even then only when Mrs Craven is in Nova Scotia visiting her sister and/or mother. Heck, I can't even use the dishwasher to clean parts anymore or the oven to bake coatings.

Sorry if this sounds preachy. Good luck.
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

ive done worse go for it!

Comment

Probably about half of the work on Challenger at left was done in a dirt lot. I built my El Camino BB out in a driveway and it lasted 20 years. My all-time favorite car was built entirely in a dirt lot. Every dollar in rent is one you could have spent on the car.

Just wrap stuff up good at night, don't leave it to collect dirt.

Comment

I was gonna suggest you could tow it over here, I have room for you to work on it-but over on V8Buick, I figured out you are near atlanta-that would be a 3000 mile tow i guess, so good luck where you're at and make sure you pay careful attention to the cam bearings when you take it apart-your issues likely started there.
                      67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                      05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Dang, there's a roof over the car....that's a big improvement on how I got to R&R motors the first 8 years I did this kind of stuff.

Yeah, it's a bummer....but you just need to get in there and do it. Sorry, wish you were closer I could help!
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It could be far worse. I stripped a Chevelle once down to the rolling frame in the middle of a desert junkyard. That's with black widow spiders, scorpions, centipedes, wasps and occasionally rattlesnakes. But I do know the feeling of working on stuff in this kind of place. I don't yet have a shop at my place and can only work on my vehicles in the dirt, grass or gravel. A nice shop is on the list of things to do. Just waiting to get the place paid down a little further so I can possibly re-finance to get a house and shop built. Only got about $60,000 to go then put myself back in debt. ;D

Comment

If you don't have a good place to work at the motor, you could turn the car around and pull the engine out of the car under the roof. Then at least the engine will be stored dry AND you got a place to work on it. Leave the car covered under a tarp next to the roof orso.
                            Seal the roof up with plastic covers as been said. Put up some lights, maybe even a heater and you've got a nice place to check out the engine.
                            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

do it there...

i agree with others...close off the carport,YOU work under the carport...flip everything around...plus the sheetmetal isn't there....get a buddy,pizza and beer...

good luck and keep us posted

alan
                              "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X