how to get a engine out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get a engine out

did not want to hijack ms66 thread so what is the strangest RIG you have used to get an engine out? ? ?

i will start 1 a tree and a come along/and fan belts
    2 just flip it over LOL no really (the car)

Re: how to get a engine out

My friend in his '73 Camaro unbolted everything he could from the block, it was litterally just a block bolted into the mounts, the intake, heads, crank and pistons were out, as was the transmission. Then three of us (two standing in the engine bay) lifted it out. Every other time has been with an engine hoist or fork lift.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

1. Tree with a chain and a High Lift Jack ( Farm/4x4 ) as a comealong.
      2. Took a motor out of an old 70's chevy van with a few jacks. Took out the drive shaft,took out the crossmember,took the bolts out of the motor mounts and let it roll out , lifted the van upand drug the motor out from under. (I don't think I had access to a engine hoist at the time.)

Comment

I rebuilt a 351 Windsor in a 76 Ford van. Took it out by disassembling it to just the block, crank, and pistons then rolled it up into the interior then out the side door. Installed it reverse order.

Comment

logging chain, old tractor and torch.

wrap chain around b-pillar, throw rest of chain over roof to other side of car.
          connect chain to back of tractor.
          get on tractor and drive away until car rolls up onto side exposing belly vertically.
          use torch and pocket knife let engine and/or trans fall onto ground.
          get back onto tractor and roll car the rest of tha way over.

works great!

Comment

4x4 chained to the bed rail of my truck. It was a BBC in a motorhome. My cherry picker couldn't reach in far enough to pull the motor; didn't have way of jacking the motorhome up far enough to pull the motor out the bottom. Pulled the tranny off first, let the air out of the tires of the MH (I swear I heard a banjo strumming while I was doing this), then pulled the motor out - only casualty was the oil pan.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

disco era nova - bbc.

got the car as low as we could - I think it was sitting on the rotors on 2x4 on the driveway.

3 guys.

one piece of pipe, one chain....

one guy on each side of the car - pipe between, chain over it, bolted to the heads front and rear.

1 2 3!

all of the sudden all those squats we'd done in the weight room started to pay off - we stood up and started walking - pulled the engine up and over the radiator core support and held it while the 3rd guy bolted the engine stand head to the bellhousing face, and slid it into the engine stand. I think we were 18 at the time - I'm pretty certain I couldn't squat 1/2 that weight now and not blow my knee out.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I took apart a '65 Falcon V-8 one time and after I pulled the heads off, I got in the engine compartment, picked up the shortblock, and then stepped out of the car over the radiator support and carried the engine over to a bench and set it down.

I couldn't do that now.

Comment

ah the good old days - sheesh VT - I want you on my side should we ever end up in a bar fight!

Comment

Back in the day, we'd get a bunch of freinds together and snatch em.

Comment

I worked a a wrecking yard in Sacramento for a little while (I highly recommend every car guy do this for at least 6 mos) and got very proficient and pulling engines quickly. Oxy torch the driveshaft and exhaust after the manifolds, cut the hoses and wires, remove the motor mount bolts and rip it out with a forklift. We could have an engine out in about 20 minutes.

Comment

Recently I had to pull the good motor from the rusty body shell I was replacing with a good Arizona version.
                        I put jack stands under the trans x-member, and Engine X-member, then cut the car off the engine with a Sawzall.

Comment

Originally posted by revolutionary
                          I worked a a wrecking yard in Sacramento for a little while (I highly recommend every car guy do this for at least 6 mos)
                          I agree, it's a great way to learn a lot. Although the prime years are well past us now....

anyways, we had to preserve the wiring and driveshafts and stuff so we didn't use the blue tipped wrench to pull engines...it usually took half an hour or so to get them ready. Forklift with long forks, and a long nylon strap with a loop at each end, makes quick work of it. Also we usually didnt' have to worry about that last wire or hose, the forklift was strong enough to yank them loose.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

here's something I've been thinking over for a while.... while we're on the subject of speedy powertrain removal.

i have an old van behind my shop that is waiting to be scraped.
                            I want to keep the 302/aod/9"

I got the idea the other day to preserve the front end of the frame - as it's a perfect start for an engine run stand - the mounts / radiator mounts / etc are already all there.

My thought now is this:

cut the frame somewhere behind the trans X member attachment points
                            cut the body mounts off the frame
                            pick up the body, leave the frame, engine, trans, etc, on the ground.

cut the 9" loose by cutting the frame around the shackles.

drag / push / pull the body and rear frame onto the trailer - load it up with all misc ferrous metal around, and haul it in for scrap ( I know I'm about 3 months late on the scrap price peak - but I still want it gone)

thoughts?

Comment

Put it on the trailer, then cut it where you need to. Have the scrap yard lift the body off for you.

I did that over the summer with a car I thought I could sell the frame from after I stripped it. Turns out nobody needs a decent 65-66-67 GTO, 442, GranSport frame with the posi rear around here. I ended up selling just the rear, and cut the frame up and put it inside a '73 Montego I scrapped.

Comment

Working...
                              X