X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anybody care about imports?

Originally posted by dieselgeek
    Originally posted by Beagle
    Uh, 600.00 and 2100.00 = 2700... how about 600 and 1900.00. ; )

Heck ya, Rx7. That'd work. How fast will it go for 1900.00 worth of mods? I'm trying to stay out of the BS zone on parts. They'll come from ebay, craigslist, junkyard, but no 50.00 ball bearing turbo good-guy deals. Grin. What could your average joe (that'd be ME) go out and buy / build.

That'd be an import that interested me.
    what the heck kind of domestic are you going to build for $2500?!?!?

the Fairmont that parish and team built for Pinks is the CHEAPEST domestic I've ever heard of, at a cost of about $4000 to duplicate using a ton of ebay parts. We're pushing the 5.3 in that engine with a turbo off a backhoe, to it's absolute max on stock parts, it's been 9.49 at the quarter mile. That's with some very careful tuning too.
    =)

this is my point.

Comment

Damn this Chinese made gun!
      It jammed up just as the messenger was running away!

Scott, playing the devil's advocate here, I am reasonably certain people are making up to 1,000 hp with the DOHC, 4-valve Mustangs with little to no effort with regard to internal upgrades.

That's one example, but I like being a pain in the ass.

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
        Originally posted by shaun callaway
        are you suggesting that you buy a car and modify it for 2500 bucks to go fast????
        I guess either way, you're not going to get far.

$2500 isn't going to go far towards buying a car and then trying to make it fast. You buy a junker for 500-1000, it isn't going to be "fast" for the $1000-1500 you have left.
        Sorry, I'm being butthole math guy, but If you get the car for 500.00-1000, that's 1500 to 2000 left over... you can do a lot for 2k.
        Sorry, also at work and typing in between.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes

Scott, playing the devil's advocate here, I am reasonably certain people are making up to 1,000 hp with the DOHC, 4-valve Mustangs with little to no effort with regard to internal upgrades.
          the 03-04 SVT Cobra engines? those cost as much as a clean Supra to purchase used. nobody's doing that on 32-valve mod motors besides the ones in that car, without replacing the rods and pistons. The block is capable of it, but any of those engines outside the 03-04 cobra, which come with good forged pistons and stout rods, are junk until you replace much of the rotating assembly. Been there, ventilated that block :-)

Better yet, look at just the engine cost. What can you purchase an 03-04 Cobra engine for? Arent' they like $8000? Shaun Callaway found us a perfectly good running 2JZ with the damn turbos, intake, exhaust, and fuel system - on a pallet - for $1100... bang for the buck, sorry the 2JZ's got it all over the domestics.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

hahahaha

yes i did when he says the motor was complete he means complete both turbos all the sensor shit even the damn alt was still on there. the 2jzgte is a bad a$$ motor.

so i will ask this question once again how fast are we talking.

brian we are talking about budgets here not whos got the deepest pockets.

Comment

Here's a hint to the domestic guys: if you want to talk cheap domestic engines that are capable of ungodly power, even on stock internals - it ain't the Mod motor, it ain't the LSx engine, and it isn't the Hemi (old or new): it's the Ecotec 4-banger. It's one of the greatest import killer engines ever built, IMO. You can get them at the junkyard for $300-500 running, make 500hp on stock guts with boost, or seap out for a $700 set of rods and pistons and support 1000+ with the poweradder of your choice.
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Here's a hint to the domestic guys: if you want to talk cheap domestic engines that are capable of ungodly power, even on stock internals - it ain't the Mod motor, it ain't the LSx engine, and it isn't the Hemi (old or new): it's the Ecotec 4-banger. It's one of the greatest import killer engines ever built, IMO. You can get them at the junkyard for $300-500 running, make 500hp on stock guts with boost, or seap out for a $700 set of rods and pistons and support 1000+ with the poweradder of your choice.

this my friends is a bad ass motor

Comment

Anybody care about imports?
                  No.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

shaun, swap a 4G63 into the RX7, shoudl leave you enough for a Masterpower turbo (cheap) and fuel system, shoudl be able to go low or mid 11's pretty easy on that combo.

Comment

$2500 is not going to get you far.

If it were me I'd buy a Fox Mustang LX, strip it down to nothing, put gears, some suspension, slicks, a cheap set of heads, some long tube headers, and spray the crap out of it.
                      Those are the cheapest Fords that have potential to be fast for $2500. A friend just bought a '89 GT, stick car, with 42k on it for $800. It has some rust on it and needs paint. But you can buy used speed parts for those things all day long cheap. Headers $50-75. Slicks, $75-100. I bought a complete 8.8 rear once with 3.73's, 31 spline axles and adjustable upper and lower control arms for $250. Used heads, $500-700. Used NOS kits $200-300. That should run in the deep 12's

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                        Anybody care about imports?
                        No.

let me drop everything and focus on tri-5 chevies because I've never seen one of those before!!!!

just teasing :-)

Comment

hahahahahaha

i hadnt thought about that

but an ecotec would be a good canidate for the 7

Comment

VT is right, the fox platform seems to be the cheapest to start with...

Comment

Uh, 600.00 and 2100.00 = 2700... how about 600 and 1900.00. ; )

Heck ya, Rx7. That'd work. How fast will it go for 1900.00 worth of mods? I'm trying to stay out of the BS zone on parts. They'll come from ebay, craigslist, junkyard, but no 50.00 ball bearing turbo good-guy deals. Grin. What could your average joe (that'd be ME) go out and buy / build.

That'd be an import that interested me.

what the heck kind of domestic are you going to build for $2500?!?!?

the Fairmont that parish and team built for Pinks is the CHEAPEST domestic I've ever heard of, at a cost of about $4000 to duplicate using a ton of ebay parts. We're pushing the 5.3 in that engine with a turbo off a backhoe, to it's absolute max on stock parts, it's been 9.49 at the quarter mile. That's with some very careful tuning too.
                              I love that car. LOVE IT. I loved his comments in the article, too.

9.49 for 4k is dirt cheap and way fast in my book. I aspire to be that great some day. For now, I'm just looking to get kicked off the track for no roll bar, and want to do it for 2500.00. I'm curious what the average import guy could do for the same price... not for arguments sake, just want to know.

beagle how fast do you want to go for 2500

Comment

I'm interested in seeing how they are built, engine-wise. Engineering is always fascinating to me. Would I pay to go to a track to watch imports? No. Would I want to sit and listen to them go down the track? Hell no.
                                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X