• Show
Clear All

• Why I love 70's full frame Torinos...

This is why I love my car:
    These:

Fit rather nice on here, with no issues thus far:

Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Why I love 70's full frame Torinos...

Dude - I love your car 'cause it's got a clevo in it - that's enough for me!

I have a few nascar tires I've been thinking about putting on rims like that - and making shop clocks out of them.... where did you get those wheels?
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

That has NASCAR-look written all over it! Nice!

Are Aero rims street legal? We used Aeros on our dirt street stock.

Comment

Man I love 72's

Comment

I'm confused - I thought you had that thing all primered up and ready for paint recently -- in the "tent" in the driveway - but now it's a mix of paint and primer again?

Comment

Damn cool wheels 8).Are they street legal?.Looks awesome.

Comment

LOL...um, as far as being street legal, I dunno...they came to me by way of a trade for aluminum drag rims I had that I decided to not use.
              They came from a kid who bought them on Ebay, and paid way to much for them {his paperwork sshowed he paid $500 with the shipping, I was like "What the hell?!? $500?!!?"

All I know, car #16, 2004-2005 season, and the rims did have "test" sprayed in red like test session. Heavy duty pieces. They clear my 13" rotors and allow me to run a 15" tire.
              The rims also have something curious.
              Two valve stems.
              Andrew

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Super cool machine. I would love to see what your Torino looks like sitting on all 4 Aero's.

Damn man, it's almost like the wheelwells were designed to swallow those NASCAR steelies.

You are the subject of my envy. I've spec'd out Aero, Bassett, Bart etc trying to find the widest rim that can fit in a 70-72 Monte Carlo (without raising the car). So far it looks like a 15x9 w/ 5" BS with a 255 should clear in the rear wheelwells. Up front it's even tighter. If I want to fit rims like you it's time to bust out the cut-off wheel for radiused wheel openings, ditching the factory inner fenders, and maybe mini tubs.

Comment

How wide are those tires and wheels?.Looks like 9 inches wide..

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76
                    The rims also have something curious.
                    Two valve stems.
                    They use an inner liner or "safety spare" in cup cars like top fuel cars use. High pressure in the inner tire and low pressure in the outer tire.

Comment

I was just going to say that!!
                      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

so - for a street application - do you run both valve stems?

here's another question - is there a "street" version of these wheels with the same "D hole" pattern?

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                          so - for a street application - do you run both valve stems?

here's another question - is there a "street" version of these wheels with the same "D hole" pattern?
                          Yep-IMCA modified/street stock wheels. Lots of companies make them, some even make them with a DOT stamp. They're fairly light and dirt cheap. Choice of offsets and bolt patterns too.

Comment

Comment

All I know is these things are heavy, but stout.
                              I was thinking hell, I could almost run an inflatable beadlock setup if I really wanted to with this setup.

My issue right now, they are a 5x5 bolt pattern. Not going to bore you all with my brake story, but I have '99 Crown Vic police brakes up from. 13" rotor. These rims clear my brake package and just look killer.

As far as the monte, I thought those cars had big tubs....my oldest brother had a 71, had an engine fire, and when my brothers and dad rewired it years back...such a POS but cool looking car in dark grey.

These are a 15 x 9.5" rim. Any 1972 to 1976 Torino, or just about any 1972 to 1979 full frame Ford will take a 15 x 8, with 4" offset {think mopar police steelie} and will fit a 295/50/15 all the way around with no rubbing.
                              The tubs are so damn big on these cars, they NEED a big wide tire. I should stick some 325's drag radials out back, like a 295/65 tire would make me happy as hell, but I don't drag race -shrug- so it'll just get 295's out back.

If I decide to now end up running the 5x5 bolt pattern, I may unload these, if I can find a 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern.
                              Andrew

Comment

Working...
                              X