So now I'm selling my other car!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So now I'm selling my other car!!

Well, as some of you know last month I sold my T-Bird Super Coupe that I had owned for 10 years to a guy out in Alberta, talked about it on this thread:

http://www.carjunkietv.com/forum/index.php?topic=6869.0

The sale of that car got me thinking about my other one, a 68 Cougar that I've also had for about 10 years. It's a decent condition car that has lived its life in the Toronto area, I bought it from the original owner. It has had some undercarriage repair, not concours but very solid, and there is some bubbling under the original vinyl roof at the base of the rear window ... haven't had the cojones to peel the vinyl back to see how bad it is under there. Sort of a restomod, we've done some suspension upgrades, big wheels & tires, and an EFI conversion on the small block using a Mustang 5.0 system. Good driver, I've taken it to Carlisle twice, about a 7 hour trip. But for whatever reason, I can't say that I've ever really "bonded" with this car, like I had with the 5.0 Mustang that was my first brand new car purchase, or my T-Bird. Maybe because I never used it in anger at an open-track event, it's been a car show and cruise night sort of car.

So about 3 or 4 weeks back I threw an ad up on the local kijiji site to see I would get any action on it. Wrong season to be selling an old car, especially with the economic downturn, but the ad is free, so what the heck. Put it in at $7500, or interesting trades. Had a few e-mail offers for trades, a neat 60 Falcon 2-door wagon with a real 70s vibe, a clean 92 5.0L Mustang, which I would have considered if it wasn't a notchback (like the style, can't stand the small trunk), a really solid 63 Mercury Meteor (mid-size car that year, same as a Fairlane), and an 81 Olds Omega convertible, which I almost jumped at (kidding).

Then earlier this week I get a call on the car. Turns out the guy who wanted to trade the Fox Mustang made a sale on his car, and was still interested in my Coug. He came out Saturday with his father to have a look, and really liked the car, and the mods done to it. So we shook hands on a deal at $6700. Luckily is just over on the opposite end of Toronto, less than an hour away ... I don't have to drive the car almost 2,000 miles to deliver it, like I did with the SC!! LOL

So now the only car I'll have is the 73 V-Dub that I picked up out in Calgary after selling the SC in Edmonton. Not sure what I want to get in to as far as a domestic V8 machine again. Probably something Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury, since that is where my knowledge base lies, and being a Ford parts guy has its advantages with that obviously. Going to have a look at this one on Sunday:

Searching the web, I found some production numbers ... 1,725 of those made as a ragtop. Rare is neat, but also this would be a tough car to get body and trim parts for likely. I think the car could look pretty neat with the right wheels & stance, and minus the stick-on side mouldings and cheap fibreglass race seats. From the description, I'm guessing it was a bench seat car that the owner desperately wanted to change to buckets. I still have originals out of my Cougar, could even throw those in for the time being. Obviously will need some bodywork too, but if the undercarriage is solid, it might be worth a go. He sounds like a motivated buyer, I'm guessing that he would likely come down several hundred dollars if I wave some cash in his face. Even back to when I was looking for a 60s car 10 years ago and ended up with the Cougar, I had wanted a ragtop, but couldn't find anything in my price range. Maybe this car is a cheap way to get that wind in the hair experience.

So we shall see what unfolds. Right now it is a buyer's market, and if I don't go on this one, there may be something else out there that someone doesn't have room to store for the winter that I can get a crazy deal on.

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Re: So now I'm selling my other car!!

You want a Chevy.

Comment

Actually, that's about the only brand of car that I have never owned!! LOL

Closest was a POS 81 Buick Century with a 267 V8 ... what a poor excuse for an SBC.

cheers
      Ed N.

Comment

You seemed like a Ford man. So I was attempting to screw with you. HA ! Didn't work.... It's a buyers market though so you kind of have your pick if you wanna look hard enough. Even the ubiquitous 67-69 Camaro is coming down in price. I've been craving some kind of nasty road race ford...

Comment

You nailed it, Ed....the 267 is the sorriest excuse for a SBC...until you review the wunderengine that was the 262.

Yuck.

The Montego seems interesting enough....

Comment

I bet you could do better that that, it looks rough....I wonder what hiding under the white paint.....

Comment

a nice red camaro .......

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                I at least like the way you think.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                  I've had 2 already.

Ed, what's the story.....That lidless Merc seems interesting, but looks like it needs a lot of attention.

I'd be concerned about structural integrity, particularly in the cowl and front floorboards.

Comment

I love giving unsolicited opinions!

Too much flab
                    Not enough motor

Face that could stop a clock

Normally decent side profile of those cars is toast when the roof is down. Bleck.

Racing buckets show a past owner who was too cheap to buy something directly related to his own comfort in the car...god knows how he felt about "tough" stuff like changing the oil and maintaining the rest of the car.

Overall, I'm saying stay away. That thing doesn't deserve you.

Why not score another bug and hot rod the wee out of it so you'd have your cruiser bug and your track day/drag strip/ fun bug?

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I can tell by the pics that it has a lot of mud in the quarters and the bottom of the front fenders. Let me know if I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

Comment

I'd keep looking. That Merc looks like trouble. It's cheap, bur has too many issues.
                        X2 what Brian said about the buckets. I hate those "racing seats"

I never bonded with my '68 Cougar either. It was a nice car, CA black plate deal, same color as yours, but it never did anything for me. I love my Falcons and Fairlanes. Ever consider a '66-'67 Fairlane? I had a '66 Convertible. Nice riding cars, lots of room. If I ever consider another droptop, it will be one of those.

Comment

Well, we had a look at the white Montego yesterday. $1000 would take it home, but it's too much of a project for me. The A-pillars where they meet the rockers (in the lower hinge area) are very bad, would take a serious amount of welding to get that straightened out. It's also had a later 302 swapped in (roughly), so I decided to run away. There is another one that is also somewhat local, if I had seen the ad for it first I probably wouldn't have gone to look at the white one.

I would certainly look at a 66-67 Fairlane, but they seem to be commanding pretty good money these days, especially for a solid condition droptop. Also the Buick and Olds intermediates from 66 - 72 are pretty neat, I would even consider one of those. Anyway, the search continues. I could wait until springtime, but I'm thinking with the way the economy is, and with winter fast approaching, I might be able to score a deal on something neat.

cheers
                          Ed N.

Comment

Check this out.

pic

scroll down to the ad.

Comment

Hmm ... that looks reasonable for the price, if it's a solid car.

cheers
                              Ed N.

Comment

Working...
                              X