No announcement yet.

Anything Different Needed in the Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anything Different Needed in the Forum?

Originally posted by Brad54
    Over on the HAMB and Garage Journal, you can drag your curser over a post headline (on the main page) and it will pop up the first few lines of that post. Let's you window shop before going in. Sometimes a headline gets your attention, and you open it up to find it isn't anything that interests you. I like the preview.

-Brad
    Brad beat me to it. Dragging over the headline makes it easier to see if I want to enter the post.

Comment

Video embedding would be cool,but not necessary. Everything else is cool IMO.

Comment

Over on the HAMB and Garage Journal, you can drag your curser over a post headline (on the main page) and it will pop up the first few lines of that post. Let's you window shop before going in. Sometimes a headline gets your attention, and you open it up to find it isn't anything that interests you. I like the preview.

-Brad

I agree with this one, too.
        1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
        1997 Mustang GT
        sigpic

Comment

I'd like more video updates even if they are just short stuff. I understand how it's difficult to a ton more.

I had the thought that maybe you guys could take videos from others who'd might want to submit stuff. I dunno.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I have to say that first off, im still way impressed with the site and how it's been developed over it's first year.

I can agree with just about all of the comments so far, but my favorite idea is the preview idea when you drag the mouse over the thread.

Other than that, i think real short update clips every couple days would be huge for this site.

Keep up the good work guys.

Comment

Hmm.
              Most of what needs addressing has been stated...but what about some more videos in the junkbox...of chad getting set ablaze or someone getting a fresh shot to the junk with air chuck...

I'm good once the smilys are fixed.

I just like coming here and am grateful for the place.
              Andrew
              1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
              2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

David only asked for feedback on the Forum-part of the site, not everything else.
                But... I'm sure all feedback for the entire CJTV-site is always welcomed.

Anyway, besides the Smileys (I really hope they won't be the dorky ones like you see on some standard installed forums)
                - Video-embedding makes reading topics more fun aswell. I've got it on all the forums I run.
                A 'YouTube'-tag like [yt]movieclip-url[/yt] would be great.

- If easily possible, I would also like to see another link next to the 2 besides the avatar at the top:
                "Show active topics", but which shows just the topictitles, without the 'intros' in the link below;

Reasoning behind this is, I would just like to see a list of recent topics, whether or not I've read them already or not.

As for the smileys, I think they are the most underrated aspect on a forum usually.
                But I think they play an important role in the way people react with eachother.
                If there aren't smileys available which can express certain feelings or meanings to a topic, then often it can be misread and maybe cause issues later on.
                I have a bunch of smileys "on stock" if any help is needed providing them.
                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY
                  The tab function on the log in page dose'nt work properly, If I tab from log in name to password the tab brings me to the top of the page for some reason
                  because the tab is used so much in all the applications I have to log into day in and day out at Ford - this particular glitch in the CJ universe drives me completely insane - why little stuff like this bothers me so - I don't know, but it does....

I would like to see a few more forum subjects -
                  -1/4 mile drag racing
                  -1/8 mile drag racing
                  - suspension for drag racing
                  - suspension for street and road racing
                  - brakes
                  - fuel systems
                  - diesels
                  - road racing
                  - engine swaps
                  - body work and paint
                  - electrical

lots of stickies in these forums with helpfull diagrams, DIY tips, write ups on adjusting cal tracs or four links,
                  what year crown vic calipers go on what 8.8 rear axles,
                  what year and model drum spindles from x car allow x car front discs to be bolted on in place of drums,

that type of madly usefull stuff at our finger tips would be a huge help to us all.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Getting links to work properly should be a priority (I have reported several to AVKid_Tim already).

The smilies may seem trivial, but are an important communication tool (e.g. to indicate when a comment is intended as just kidding / joking around or giving someone a hard time, all in fun). Avoids mis-communication.

I also believe the amount of subjects currently portrayed on the Home page is adequate, without extending the list so much that scrolling down, and down, and down, is required. That is what the search function is for.

For instance, these subjects suggested by other members fit nicely into EVENTS;
                    -1/4 mile drag racing
                    -1/8 mile drag racing
                    - road racing

And these suggested subjects fit nicely into TECHNICAL;
                    - suspension for drag racing
                    - suspension for street and road racing
                    - brakes
                    - fuel systems
                    - diesels
                    - engine swaps
                    - body work and paint
                    - electrical

.. if they eventually do require separate subjects, then I recommend child boards within those sections, rather than on the Home page.

My .02

Comment

My advice would be to upgrade the forum software to VBulletin, which has the preview feature everyone is asking for, plus many other features that make it the best forum software IMO. A license is about $180.

Comment

Not everyone is 'asking' for this preview-function. I for one hate it.
                        I usually use the mouse to go by the topics and when I occassionally stop to read the topic title bettter or date posted, this annoying preview-window pops up everytime. Everywere where I leave my mouse these things pop up, unless I move it to the side of the forum. I really could do without this.

Besides, $180.- and only 1 year of free updates, for something that can also be had for free doesn't seem like a smart way to go. PhpBB-forums have pretty much the same features, are totally free and widely used all over the internet.

More child-boards makes forums less interesting to read or visit.
                        I've seen the same happen on www.mopowerstyle.com/forums
                        They now have a new site with less forums (but still too many for my taste)
                        Too much subforums sucks IMO. You will scare away visitors, and some old users aswell because they get overwhelmed and don't know where to post what sometimes.

Anyway, these are some of my own experiences by the way.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                          Not everyone is 'asking' for this preview-function. I for one hate it.
                          I usually use the mouse to go by the topics and when I occassionally stop to read the topic title bettter or date posted, this annoying preview-window pops up everytime. Everywere where I leave my mouse these things pop up, unless I move it to the side of the forum. I really could do without this.

Besides, $180.- and only 1 year of free updates, for something that can also be had for free doesn't seem like a smart way to go. PhpBB-forums have pretty much the same features, are totally free and widely used all over the internet.

I've seen the same happen on www.mopowerstyle.com/forums
                          They now have a new site with less forums (but still too many for my taste)
                          Too much subforums sucks IMO. You will scare away visitors, and some old users aswell because they get overwhelmed and don't know where to post what sometimes.

Anyway, these are some of my own experiences by the way.

Yeah, too many subcategories really screw things up. I'm not interested in EVERYTHING, but every now and then something catches my eye and I'll check it out, and am usually glad I did. But if everything is broken down into specific subcategories, I won't spend the time to go into that specific subcategory.
                          It's like a party--if everyone is just mingling around and talking, you get a lot out of it. If everyone is in 37 little clusters of 3 people each, you aren't going to get much out of it.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                            Yeah, too many subcategories really screw things up. I'm not interested in EVERYTHING, but every now and then something catches my eye and I'll check it out, and am usually glad I did. But if everything is broken down into specific subcategories, I won't spend the time to go into that specific subcategory.
                            It's like a party--if everyone is just mingling around and talking, you get a lot out of it. If everyone is in 37 little clusters of 3 people each, you aren't going to get much out of it.
                            Mmmmm, interesting perspectives.

.. guess I could just invest in one of those new-fangled mouses that have a scroll wheel, which should help me with my scroll issue.

Comment

I couldn't live without the wheel!
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I´ve been posting here, http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/for quite some time, check it out for subforums, photo galleries, knowledge base etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X