Trespassing with a toddler Vol 110

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trespassing with a toddler Vol 110

Ok, well if you're sick of the "Adventures of Brian and Tom" posts, it's time to step off the ride.

With that out of the way, my intrepid companion and I found ourselves involved in another mini-adventure this weekend. The topic this time? Abandoned, old, heavy equipment.

Acting on a tip from a friend of my dad's Tom and I were enroute to look at what I was led to believe was a real aluminum bodied Shelby Cobra sitting behind an old manufacturing building a couple towns away from me. That turned out to be a ratty old Triumph TR6 that was not even worthy of photos. I wasn't holding my breath.

On the cruise back to the house, on a different route (which coincidentally led past my favorite ice cream stand) Tom points and says, "Whazzat?" It was this monsterous old steam shovel looking thing. We didn't have time to look yesterday, but I promised we'd check it out this morning.

It was kind of blair witch as the machine was in some very tall grass and obviously was intended to be "closed to the public". There were scads of no tresspassing signs and it had plywood bolted over all the openings that were once glass. The drivers door was not locked shut so I climbed up there and wrested it open. I sent Tom in first...just kidding. I went in first with my flash light looking for homeless people. It was a trip. Walking back into the engine room and seeing all guts of this machine were pretty impressive. When the scene was "clear" I hoisted Tom up and he joined in the fun. I thought the police showed up at one point when I heard a car door close in the vacinity of where my truck was parked. I stuck my head out a bulkhead in the engine room and saw it was only someone stopping to check if they had a flat tire.

From some light research I've gleaned that this was/is a Northwest Mfg. Power Shovel circa the 1950's or so. It's got a massive Murphy Diesel engine for power and every function of the thing is mechanical. There are no hydraulics or any other type of system on board. About a dozen of levers surround the drivers seat. It's a marvel in my opinion. Everything I touched or pulled moved freely and the motor had the proper level of oil in it. It seemed as though it would need some juice and a little kick in the ass and it would be back working away. I'm amazed that it didn't get scraped when the metal prices spiked this year.

I'd guess 10,000 people passed by this thing today on their way to doing something so trivial with their lives they literally won't even remember it by Tuesday. I'm pretty sure that any kid looking out the window of a passing car would have the same reaction as Tom. I'm also pretty sure we're the only people who have climbed into this machine in a long ass time. I'm more than sure that indulging his curiousity (and giving me the prefect excuse to explore this thing) is something we'll both be able to laugh about years from now.

On to a poop ton of photos!

Intrepid companion, armed with a funny hat and his "Bob the Builder" (fully functional) flashlight.

The subject at hand

This plate was at least a 1/2 inch thick

Drivers seat after I wrenched the door open:

Headed in:

Engine room:

Big Murphy Diesel 6-cylinder:

Tom at the helm:

Levers that the driver would operate:

General mechanical stuff:

Huge ass rag joint:

Booms and bucket:

That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Trespassing with a toddler Vol 110

That's extra spiffy! thanks....not often we get to see inside something like this. It's a big one too.

Is the exhaust stack covered?
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

What a cool mechanical monster that only boys would crawl all over.

From the looks of a few of those pics; it appears the driver could easily get hands and feet caught in gears while operating it.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

yeah, it makes my bulldozer look almost safe, by comparison.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Scott, there are more ways to be maimed or killed in this thing than in "big boy" prison.

I can't even imagine what this monster sounded like while operating with all the gears and cables and chains whirring around. Not to mention the diesel motor which is about 10 feet long. If I had a step ladder and the rest of my camera gear the photos would be better but I didn't want to make a huge scene and attract attention.

Jim, the stack is not covered, just kind of laid over. It probably has a mouthfull of water. The oil looked good. God, can you imaging the capacity of this thing?! I was trying to find a plate of some kind with that info, but no luck.

Brian

Comment

Brian , That is cool . Great story ,Great photos . Really, you should get a job with a magazine ! < smiley .
            Oh yeah , I get a kick out of it when people call them steam shovels when there powered by diesels. It kind of dates you. I only cured myself of this only a couple yrs ago myself .

Comment

That is a cool old rope/cable shovel. I wouldn't call it big though ;) I like the picture of Tom standing next to the Bucket, those scale pictures are always cool. I'll have to upload some similar ones when I decide where I'm going to store pictures online next.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Badass

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                  That is a cool old rope/cable shovel. I wouldn't call it big though ;) I like the picture of Tom standing next to the Bucket, those scale pictures are always cool. I'll have to upload some similar ones when I decide where I'm going to store pictures online next.
                  Randal, you deal with stuff that could probably swallow this machine in one scoop! I think the bucket would handle about 4-5 yards tops. Small potatoes in comparison to your stuff no doubt.

Steam shovel sounds a lot cooler than diesel shovel (even though it's completely incorrect..ha!)

I've always had this dream scenario of being ultra wealthy and having a few thousands acres out west to fill with this kind of stuff. It would be hilarious to try an figure out how to operate this thing. Pull lever B while releasing handle F and lightly depressing foot pedal C...

Comment

When I was a kid in the 60s, excavators were called steam shovels. Even then, it was probably well over 25 years since anyone had actually used a steam shovel.

The bucket shot is great....puts it all in perspective
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

You know, I've transported a lot of construction equipment, heavy machinery and just flat out oversize/overweight stuff(before I went back to tanking....meh).

This right here puts all the Daewoo and Caterpillar excavators(some call'em trackhoes) I've hauled to shame.

To think that this machine could be back up and running with some fresh oil, grease, batteries and new cables(wouldn't trust the old stuff for very long).....as long as it isn't scrapped out, that thing could very well outlast US.

As far as that boy goes, keep right on taking him with you on these little adventures. If others don't like it, tell'em to go to hell.....those kids are what it's all about, bud.

Comment

Great pics!

That thing looks like it could be wickedly dangerous :D.

If you look real quick at the shot where Tom's in front of the shovel, it looks like he's at the mouth of an iron monster (well to some extent he is, lol).

Damn, your Sunday sure beats mine (cramming for an exam). I'm going to have to do some trespassing on my own eventually.

Comment

Momma's not been in the best of spirits as of late. We're within 10 days of the due date for Jack so whenever I can give her time to take a nap of chill out she's thankful.
                          The conversation when we get back about, "what did you guys do" is always a laugher.

Me: Hey Tom, what did we do
                          Tom: Saw a seem shuvel
                          Her: WTF is a steam shovel
                          Me: Don't worry, it's been abandoned for years.

HA!

Mach -- The key is to do your trespassing with a little guy (or girl). I makes your intentions seem far less nefarious (mine are never nefariuous, but police and security seem to go to the redline quick). I'd never do anything to put us in legal jeopardy or harm's way, but stuff like this is too good to pass up!

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                            Randal, you deal with stuff that could probably swallow this machine in one scoop! I think the bucket would handle about 4-5 yards tops. Small potatoes in comparison to your stuff no doubt.

Steam shovel sounds a lot cooler than diesel shovel (even though it's completely incorrect..ha!)

I've always had this dream scenario of being ultra wealthy and having a few thousands acres out west to fill with this kind of stuff. It would be hilarious to try an figure out how to operate this thing. Pull lever B while releasing handle F and lightly depressing foot pedal C...
                            Yeah, I think our big (electric) rope shovel has a 65 yard bucket, ~80 tons a scoop. Our property this year celebrated 100 years of mining with mechanical shovels (starting with steam) and we had a display at work of pictures taken over the last hundred years. One was from the 60's or 70's with a VW Beetle parked in the bucket! What blows my mind is that the Panama Canal was dug with steam shovels with buckets no larger than most backhoe's.

In any case, that diesel shovel there had to be one loud rattling beast (means cool!), ours are fairly quiet being electric, our diesel ones are hydraulic.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Brian.

Of course, safety is always first especially when it comes to your kids. I'll have to work on acquiring an anti-nefarious agent. I'll have to make friends with the neighbourhood kids, but try not to get locked up in the process for inviting children to come check wild and dangerous machinery in remote locations. Second option, is to get some of my buddies to come along and double as a lookout (or backup), lol.

Great to see you spending time with your intrepid companion, but sounds like soon you'll have an intrepid duo and possess twice the trespassing abilities you have now, haha.

Comment

Working...
                              X