our vacation road trip adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• our vacation road trip adventure

I took the boss lady and my dad out of town to Terlingua, TX last week.  It was my 6th year and the 3rd year I've taken the boss lady, but my dad's first trip.  I was driving the motor home pulling my 16' flat trailer with two four-wheelers and some gear.  It made for a fairly heavy rig.  Making matters worse, this particular motor home has a fairly long overhang from the rear wheels to the trailer hitch, so combined with the weight of the trailer, it sagged the back end pretty good and took some weight off the front.  It drove pretty bad, trying to walk all over the road and hard to keep straight.  I was literally sweating the entire 6 hours driving time wrestling with this thing.  This thing will have air bags on it before I will haul anything with it again.

First incident - Dad's truck is a 2001 Dodge Cumins.  He has had some trouble with it in the last several months and it's been in the shop a couple times.  It seemed to be doing fine for a while before the trip, so he hooked up his new 28' travel trailer and we left town. About an hour out of town, my dad tells me via CB radio that his truck lost power.  I told him to try to keep limping it and we'd get off at the next exit.  Right after that he gets back on the radio and tells me he felt something jerk, but the truck has power again.  Just before we got to the next exit, the truck wen't bang.  He was able to coast off the interstate, but before he could get it off the road, it locked up and stopped.  It was obvious the tranny was fragged, as it was smoking and dripping fluid everywere.  It was also locked up and would not move.  Some friends were going on the same trip with us but hadn't left yet, so I called to let them know.  One of them wasn't planning on taking his Powerstroke truck, but offered to stop and get it so he could take my dad's trailer and continue the trip.  That was great, as we were pretty much ready to go home and forget about this trip.  While dad's on the phone trying to get a wrecker out to pick up the truck, I'm under it taking the drive shaft off so it will move.  When I got it off, we un-hitched the trailer and rolled the truck off the road.  Our friends showed up and hooked on to the trailer and got it off the road and the wrecker got there just after that.  So we were back on our way.  We get to Terlingua and have a great time.

Second incident - We hit the road going back home on Sunday and get to Alpine, TX were a friend hears a hissing sound coming from my motor home.  Yes, it was the same noise a leaking tire makes.  The motor home is a dually set up on the back and has stainless hose valve stem extensions to make it easier to maintain the inside tires.  The extension on the passenger side came loose and fell between the two tires, causing them to rub holes in each other.  So I had to jack up the big motor home and get both the tires off, praying because I only have one spare and don't fancy the thought of driving all that weight with only one tire on that side.  And it's Sunday in a small town, so there's not much chance of getting a tire anywere.  Both tires ended up with damage, but luckily only one was leaking that I figured the other would make it home.  So I got it fixed and got on the road again. 

Third incident - We got back to El Paso without too much more worry, other than me wearing out my arms and hands driving the motor home.  Another friend decided to take his travel trailer to a local trailer park to dump his waste tanks.  He got there and shut his '07 Dodge Cummins off while he drained the tanks.  When he was ready to go, his truck wouldn't start.  His dad was the friend that took my dad's trailer for us and he had just dropped it off at our house, so he went to go latch on to his son's trailer to take it home.  After getting the broke truck out of the way and hooking on to the trailer, they decided to try to roll start the Dodge since it is a manual tranny.  It started and they went home.

Fourth incident - Get home to discover that the septic tank is flooding the back yard.  Gotta pay to have that pumped out.

Fifth incident - Our Beta "Fishy" died while I was gone.  Gotta go get another $4 fish.  :D

So now my dad's truck is visiting my friend's truck in the dealership.  My buddy's truck is still under warranty, but my dad wasn't so lucky.  They quoted $8,000 for a reman tranny and new clutch.

But at least we got to go on our vacation and we had fun.  Now it'll take the next year to catch up so we can go again next year.   

Re: our vacation road trip adventure

$8K for a tranny and clutch?!! Ouch!!!

Otherwise it sounds like an adventure. You don't like boring trips without incidents do you?
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
      $8K for a tranny and clutch?!! Ouch!!!
      That's what I said. I don't believe it should be that much. I was thinking 2-3 thousand.

I would much rather my trips be uneventful. I've made the same trip the last 5 years without a problem. I guess I was saving it up for this trip. ;D

Comment

that trans replacement price is nuts!
        I know diesel stuff is pricey - but not that pricey.

I hope you can shop around and get the parts cheaper, dieselstop.com, oilburners.net, dieselgarage.com, etc are all full of sponsors that can help with this stuff.

We put a luk kit in a friends ford diesel truck, the clutch kit with single mass flywheel was less than $700.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Ouch.

My last driving "vacation" a couple years ago went so bad I haven't taken one since. Some-type problem or break down every two hours on the road, including truck catching on fire, wiring and fuel-pump issues on the replacement truck (imagine being repeatedly stranded, including in the middle of a very busy intersection/freeway onramp set with a crewcab dually truck and a fifth-wheel trailer, and having to endure it all with your wife and both kids) as well as a chunked brake pad, and no less than three flat tires. That was the year I went through five alternators in 5,000 miles.

Better check your motorhome manual and see if they even want you to tow with it. Airbags won't fix the basic problem of cantelever and chassis capacity, wrinkled-up side panels are the first thing to check for on a used one if you see it has a trailer hitch. I have an old one which I will need to tow with, I am planning on moving the rr axle back six inches, reinforcing the frame and altering the rr crossmember to move the hitch point as far up as possible. A friend switched from 16" rims to 19.5s and that helped so I'm watching for a set. Probably the newer ones have less problems. I don't ever want to have a motorhome and trailer jacknife on the freeway!

Comment

no kidding, trailering safety can not be overstated - and it's SO easy to over look.

I've seen some REALLY scary stuff going up north here in michigan.... it's impossible to be prepared for every break down, but, taking some time to sort out your set up, have good spare tires, a real jack, stands, and some tools before you go is all a good place to start.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

We just did a Dodge Cummins last week. Tranny, clutch, also drive shaft yoke replacement was around 3,100. It was a reman 5 spd.

If he hasn't already got it fixed, I bet my supplier has a warehouse close by that can get you the trans. If you need me to, I'll try and set you up with one.

Comment

Glad you had a good time ??? and made it home safely with all the stuff you started with - - - LOL

However, Santa Anna, made that same trip to the Alamo and didn't have near that much trouble - - - until he got there, that is !

Comment

Tough breaks all around. Hope it all works out. I think the trans repair is a screw job, and I hope Indy can help.

I always pull with a load equalizing hitch. It takes the weight of the load and transfers it to the front wheels of the tow vehicle, and it WORKS. With my Dakota and car trailer, I can almost pick up the rear of the truck if I get carried away with the equalizer bars. It's pricey to get set up, but then you're set for life as you can transfer the stuff from vehicle to vehicle and trailer to trailer. I swear be this set up and have used it for years.

Better Luck
                  Dan

Comment

that is a ZF trans [or getrag ] - price it direct from ZF ..... which is where chrysler gets it from
                    probably charge 8-10 hours labor to r/r thats a grand

Comment

Awww... poor fish.
                      The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyShiftman
                        We just did a Dodge Cummins last week. Tranny, clutch, also drive shaft yoke replacement was around 3,100. It was a reman 5 spd.

If he hasn't already got it fixed, I bet my supplier has a warehouse close by that can get you the trans. If you need me to, I'll try and set you up with one.
                        I appreciate the offer. I tried to get him to shop around, but he's so stubborn, he only goes to this dealership, and they already had it apart so he told them to fix it. The trucks been worked on since Monday. It's too late now.

Thanks anyhow. Maybe I'll e-mail dad this thread so he'll learn to listen. Probably not. He's as stubborn as his dad. Wait.........is that genetic? :D

Comment

Originally posted by kso4
                          Ouch.

My last driving "vacation" a couple years ago went so bad I haven't taken one since. Some-type problem or break down every two hours on the road, including truck catching on fire, wiring and fuel-pump issues on the replacement truck (imagine being repeatedly stranded, including in the middle of a very busy intersection/freeway onramp set with a crewcab dually truck and a fifth-wheel trailer, and having to endure it all with your wife and both kids) as well as a chunked brake pad, and no less than three flat tires. That was the year I went through five alternators in 5,000 miles.

Better check your motorhome manual and see if they even want you to tow with it. Airbags won't fix the basic problem of cantelever and chassis capacity, wrinkled-up side panels are the first thing to check for on a used one if you see it has a trailer hitch. I have an old one which I will need to tow with, I am planning on moving the rr axle back six inches, reinforcing the frame and altering the rr crossmember to move the hitch point as far up as possible. A friend switched from 16" rims to 19.5s and that helped so I'm watching for a set. Probably the newer ones have less problems. I don't ever want to have a motorhome and trailer jacknife on the freeway!
                          Sounds like your trip was far worse than mine.

I've checked the motorhome. We've had it since it was brand new and it came with a class 3 hitch on it. It's not supposed to haul much. I figure it only had 2500 pounds on the trailer with the 2 four wheelers. I don't think I'll be hauling much with it anymore. At least not on long trips.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                            Awww... poor fish.
                            I know!!! I had Fishy for almost a year. It had a propper burial though. Round and round and round, amen. ;D

Comment

Working...
                            X