• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squirrel
    replied
    Re: Tool Boxes

Originally posted by JoeyG

Damn squirrel, kinda dating yourself on those pics :D What otor were you swapping in the old Apache?
    That was about 1979, the engine was a 396 which is sitting in my shop on a stand right now.

Leave a comment:

• QuarterHorse
    replied

I guess here's some older photos kind of showing.

Leave a comment:

• Eric68
    replied

Here's what mine looks like in the middle of a major thrash (full trash can and all)

I like those pics Squirrel -- cool :D

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

JIM I love that box...

My top wooden box is kind of the same for me.... I've had it since I was a private.... when I was going to school to be a Helicopter mech I had some extra time and went and learned how to do wood work from this fella at the crafts shop... I was 19... but my original box I'd had for the first 4 yrs got ripped off... only thing in it of value was 3 socket head wrenches from Snap-on.... 7/16 to 9/16ths... pissed me off... I paid real cash teenager money for those... which is like triple adult money... Shoot it was the better part of 20 dang dollars...

I did find some very special things recently when my Mom died... Like the original Knobs to my 56 Wagon... ( might have to build a car around those one day )... and the Valve Cover caps that are on my current 550 Honda... ( they came off my first bike ).... same box had some NICE pictures of my Girl Freind at the time... Bikini and ALL....

K

Leave a comment:

• JoeyG
    replied

Originally posted by squirrel
    My first tool box is still in use, in the trunk of my 55 (or something else if I'm on a trip), here it was 27 years ago. I used to keep it under the seat of my truck, and carried it in to work at the junkyard every day. Amazing what you can do with a little tiny box full of the right tools.

and work space...we've come a long way, baby! this is my first engine swap, done with those tools...no driveway, no carport, certainly no garage, just some nice rocky dirt to lay on. I couldn't even afford a cardboard box or a carpet remnant

Damn squirrel, kinda dating yourself on those pics :D What otor were you swapping in the old Apache?

Leave a comment:

• Rob R
    replied

One of three top and bottom boxes...only picture I have at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

My first tool box is still in use, in the trunk of my 55 (or something else if I'm on a trip), here it was 27 years ago. I used to keep it under the seat of my truck, and carried it in to work at the junkyard every day. Amazing what you can do with a little tiny box full of the right tools.

and work space...we've come a long way, baby! this is my first engine swap, done with those tools...no driveway, no carport, certainly no garage, just some nice rocky dirt to lay on. I couldn't even afford a cardboard box or a carpet remnant

Leave a comment:

• Narider
    replied

Ya know, i'm thoroughly impressed by what some of ya'll do in the space you have. I mean I couldn't imagine doing the work my dad does on his car in a smaller place then I have for bikes. My place ain't big at all, but I guess I'm a bit spoiled when looking at the car rebuilds being done in +/- 800sf places(and yes I do remember doing all my work in an open carport a few moons back).

VERY nice Canadianized, awesome amount of room imo and extremely usable(and looks like you're covered on the extinguisher thread too - lol).
    Todd

KT :P

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

I love the pass thru garage there... and I'll bet you have 5 times the space as many of the folks here.... and twice the organization... of everyone but Todd.... he's just anal.

K

Leave a comment:

• Canadianzed
    replied

I wish I had the room available that some of you guys have for shop space.

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

I'm thinking I've got pictures somewhere of my normal roll aways... the wooden one holds my un-common tools... I used it as my primary until I got in the shop about 14 yrs ago..

David's fix'in to have the same feeling I had... the day we collected all my junk from freinds houses and storage area's and moved it into my shop... it was the first time I'd seen my stuff in one place... it was really cool... Can't wait to hear his thoughts as that happens....

K

Leave a comment:

• Narider
    replied

Alot of it's between here(handtools & have had these boxes since mid 80's),

here(service tools),

here(specialty tools),

here(grinding & cutting tools),

here(it now has overhead shelves for the machining tools),

and here(measuring tools).

But most everything for me happens out of the little red cart in the middle in the back here(money making tools).

I like alot of small boxes and open areas to put tools where they're going to be used. I'd rather have 2 or 3 smaller and much less expensive Craftsman or generic boxes(especially when space starts getting limited as you can fit them in anywhere) then one of those giant 50"+ Snap-On or Mac catchall toolboxes that cost more then the tools in it are worth(they are nice if you can fit everything in the lower roll-away and use the top as a work surface or work for someone else though).

I'd really like to have some of the self made boxes like Keith did(those are the nicest to me and always remind you to put that extra touch or pride in what you're doing) and I like SBMopar's work area(looks comfy like)... but alot of people give up some really good work space just to store worthless clutter. Pegboard and shelves are both inexpensive and very effective in making you spend time wrenching rather then looking!
    Todd

Leave a comment:

• QuarterHorse
    replied

I could get a better pic when I get home, but if you look past the bike there's my mess. I havn't cleaned it up since two projects ago.

Leave a comment:

• BigBlockMopar
    replied

Here's my flat 'toolbox';

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

How'd that work? this is one I made before I could afford a roll away... Just decided it would be better to have storage then want it...

K

Leave a comment:

Working...
X