No announcement yet.

What is your favorite part of a build?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite part of a build?

By this question, I mean do like to do wiring, body, paint, engine builds, interior?
    Dieselgeek is a tuning guy (if I had to guess), Freiburger is an engine guy (right?), Chad (suspension?). What are you?

What is your favorite?
    Why?
    What is your favorite style of building said area?

I will go first. I really like to recondition parts. Clean em up, tape em off, paint. Neat assembly work is what brings me the most satisfaction. Even stock stuff. Making it new again. Not saying I am fantastic at it, though. Probably a tie between that and doing things like neatly hiding wires and removing things that detract from the smooth simplicity of an engine compartment.

You? Oh, and pics are welcome.
    Bakersfield, CA.

Re: What is your favorite part of a build?

I am with you....Reconditioning parts is great....

But I like it all.....engines are another favorite of mine....

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

building stuff from scratch brackets etc and starting a engine for the first time (its aaaallliiivvveeee)

Comment

I like making little stuff for engines and then making it work. I WISH I was a great fabricator, but I know better - still it's fun. For example, I made an extra crankcase breather on the six. It comes off the rear side cover. Every time I look at it, I think "COOL". So basically - fabricating.

Dan

Comment

My favorite part of the build is when my friends & people I know come over do the build........hint hint......
          That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

I like the easy bits.
            Fabricating stuff I like aswell, but since I don't have a lathe or other proper tools, sometimes just making the simplest of items like a collar/spacer can be a challenge.

O wait, you wanted pics eh? Here ya go! :o)

But mostly I like engine-building.
            Going from this;

to this;

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

I like detailing engines and engine compartments. Mostly, lately, I've been doing quicky jobs for friends cars who just want the rust and grease gone. But that is really only second to getting behind the wheel and driving the results.

My Caprice's engine compartment is still in limbo. I detailed everything but the engine block because it needs rebuilt. 129K miles has done it in.
              Here's what is looked like before :

And currently when it's cleaned:
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Well, being a detail freak and a bit obsessive/compulsive, I agree that taking the oldest, nastiest part of a car and making it shine like new is my favorite. I've spent hours detailing parts, that once installed, nobody will ever see. But I know it's there, and it looks like new!
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I like the driving part best! but I do get into all of it, it's just that I have to wait until the mood strikes me. Usually bodywork/paint takes a long time for me to get in the mood.

I do really like the taking apart and discovery part...then the dreaming/planning stage where anything is possible, and I get to narrow down the ideas to get a clear picture in my mind of what I want.

Cleaning stuff is a pita. And it's a big part of the job.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've had my hands in a few of the area's, but the motor is my thing,
                    wiring, and tubing is next.

Comment

I'd have to say building the engine in my '55 was the most enjoyable. I like taking time to get everything done the right way, even cleaning and prep work. Then the actual feeling you get when it starts and runs the way it's supposed to. After that, the wiring, believe or not. It was a learning experiance replacing ALL the wiring and starting from scratch with 12 rolls of multiple colors and sizes. The feeling I got when everything worked like it should was almost as good as an orgasm. ;D

Comment

Looking for the next project (recognizing that the current one is never done). And I'm with squirrel - taking apart and discovery is fun. Finally, I enjoy waxing, polishing and general post-build detailing.

First thing I do at a show is look at the underside of any car that gets my attention; that tells me the extent of the junkie addiction!!!!!!!
                        Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

opening all the new boxes....just kidding.
                          i really like everything, from the planning stages, to putting it on the track for the first time.
                          i'm a plumbing and wiring freak though. with a dragster, you don't have a hood to shut. so every wire and hose has to be perfict, down to the last zip-tie.
                          i like having a beer and looking at it at night, when no one else is around.
                          Originally posted by TC
                          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

My favorite part of a build is when the engine fires to life for the first time after being set down in the car.

Just sitting in the driver's seat, listening to the rowdy idle of the engine, the smell of new engine paint and exhaust pipes burning in....one of those things we all know about, but is damn near impossible to expound upon in print.

Comment

Engines are my favorite. I love small blocks and wringing every bit of power I can out of them. Also love detail work like cleaning fasteners, etc. I also like interiors. Knowing how to sew is a big plus here.

My husband likes bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X