Sleeper Pontiac Tempest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeper Pontiac Tempest

The Pontiac engineers from the sixties would have been proud .

Twin Turbo BBC in a 63 LeMans at the Flashlight Drags! A little faster than it looks? I think he needs a cage and chute.

Re: Sleeper Pontiac Tempest

man, I could be wrong...but wasn't that Tempest featured in Hot Rod a few years ago?

If it's the car i'm thinking it is, that thing is neater than hell....right alongside Kurt Urban's Nova(where the hell is he? Coulda swore he joined up here).

Comment

Yep....Looks like the one.

I love how it burns the tires when the boost comes on....So cool.

Seth
      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Yep, I saw it in a magazine. The turbos are mounted by the differential because of the extra room leftover by replacing the original transaxle.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I like the way the Tires break when it get going to...

Comment

I think you're right about the car featured in the mag.... didn't he use an ebay turbo on it - something off a case tractor?
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

No, the Mustang that Lohnes did the feature on is the one that used the tractor turbo on it(I think).

Dammit, I KNOW this car was in Hot Rod......just don't remember the issue.

Freiburger, which issue did you have this car in????

Comment

It was in HRM, along with several other sleepers. It's been to Maxton several times. It's currently being driven by a guy from Denmark - nice guy and a good racer. He got in our 200 mph club this year in this car. If you notice the pics, you'll see that the front of the car was lowered about 4" or 6" - some of the pics have the high front and some show it lowered. Several of the LSR guys suggested that he lower it, and it made a huge difference at our track. He also had someone make a front air dam, which I'm sure helped, too.

I't a real sleeper. It looks like a pretty fair, rust-free car from the outside, but in need of a resto. Under the hood and inside, it looks like a full-on race car - as it should. Nice cage, full safety stuff, etc.

Dan

Comment

if that's the car from the magazine I remember it has twin turbos mounted back near the fuel tank / axle with miles of plumbing in between and it's a pipe fitters masterpiece - very well built. With all that boost plumbing it's no wonder it takes a little while for the turbos to catch up to the engine - but - that maybe a perfect design - as he's able to launch it without totally blowing off the tires - then take advantage of megatons of boost in the higher gears.

impressive.
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

That is Soooo cool! I remember the first car I ever saw that would be classified as a "Sleeper". My long time best friend had a classmate in high school (1980) that had a '67 Mustang notchback with an insane 289. The thing that made it cool was it's factory gold paint, sticky blackwall Michelins and stock hubcaps. That car absolutely hauled ass!
                    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

It was in the Nov.2007 issue....It went on to make 1160 Hp at the tires....About 1460 at the crank.

So Cool.

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

The first videos were taken at the Flashlight Drags held here in Western Pa. They are kinda a no rules street racing setup on an airplane runway. That particular "track" was Zelionople County airport, which explains the lack of traction that the car experienced (1000hp doesn't hurt either). The first car he beat was a 440 Cuda, and the second car was a tubbed and blown aluminum-headed Hemi Dart. The Dart was rumored to run low 10's back when it was naturally aspirated with a single 4-barrel. He got tired of getting beat by all the sleeper cars so he went home and put a blower on it. Guess what... he still gets beat by sleeper cars. ;)
                        Still plays with trucks....

Comment

Bitchin car.

Comment

Working...
                          X