Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWD fun... who's got the best stuff

Howdy,

In a weird convergence of my online life and my real life I am now shopping for a new "beater" to drive as both a gas saver and to have a set of wheels for either me or the wife instead of just the Lincoln currently. The SHO thread brought up the idea of what is the most "fun" or bang for the buck out of the 90/2000's FWD cars...

My list of fun stuff is the following:
    GM L67 cars; Buick Regal GS, Riviera, and Park Ave Ultra; Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and Bonneville SSEi
    Cadillac Eldorado ETC and Seville STS
    Olds Aurora
    Ford Taurus SHO
    Focus SVT/ZX3

Any other nominations or comentary on these models? (honestly I'm especially interested in the 2000-2002 Eldorado ETC)

Enjoy
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: FWD fun... who's got the best stuff

fwd? I guess I could take the rear driveshaft out of our 87 4x4 suburban, then it'd be FWD

I'd say the caddy/olds/taurus are cars you would not want to spend much coin on, they're throwaways when the motors go bad (as in pumping coolant out the tailpipe)

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Normally, I'd heartliy recommend an Oldsmobile, but I'm not well-versed with the Aurora.

Squirrel is dead-on when it comes to the Caddy & Taurus......I'd stay away from them, personally. damn shame to say that, but those engines just aren't worth the hassle.

The Regal/Grand Prix are decent commuter cars.....reliable, and with the GS or GXP options, they can provide some modicum of performance. The 3800's and 3400's will run on crappy gas and deliver years of service when treated properly.

Comment

Northstar anything
        V8 W-body
        Mopar 2.2
        Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR

GM L67 cars; Buick Regal GS, Riviera, and Park Ave Ultra; Pontiac Grand Prix GTP and Bonneville SSEi

Grandfather had a Park Ave Ultra -- Awesome car. Luxo cream puff ride and enough scoot to be fun.

Parents had a GTP -- I really dug it and so did they. Good car, no problems.

Focus SVT/ZX3 -- I owned a 2003 SVT and it was a BLAST. Not going to win many drag races, but my god did that thing behave like a go kart. Tons of fun to whip around, autocross, and act like a hooligan in.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Gran Prix GTP...with small pulley!!!

alan
            "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

What about the Contour? Is it worthless enough on the market to have fun with and not be overly concerned when it dies of electrical failure?
              Central TEXAS Sleeper
              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

LOL!!! ;D
                "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

I think the only "fun" you could have with a Contour without it being an SVT would be to set it on fire and roast marshmallows in the flames.

Even the SVT cars have reached the status of "high school kid with a decent job" affordable. Most of the ones I have seen recently have been pretty well used up.

Brian

Comment

I've got 2 3800 SC cars.Both are good and reliable and can move out pretty well.

Comment

My wife has a 2000 GTP,and we love it. It's really too nice to be considered a beater though.

My mom had a 2000 Grand Prix GT,but she got rid of it for an HHR. I wish I would've bought it as a beater because it was a great car. It already had the leaky intake plenum issue fixed too.

Comment

How'd we overlook those little pocket rockets?!

Nice.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                          fwd. yuck. I've only had one and I'm not buying the "traction advantage" thing. It's weird.

Neon SRT4?
                          I don't particularly buy it, not when my 5,000+lb beast has all the weight you can ever want over each axle. Best handling vehicle I have for snow and ice and it's a frigging convertible! Doesn't seem to care what the road conditions are, goes when I hit the gas, turns when I turn the wheel, and stops when I hit the brake.
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I had less issues in CO with my 70 Riviera with an engine that would spin the wheels on ice at idle than I did with my Regal but I think thats more because the Regal would work well most of the time then suddenly loose it so I wasn't prepared. I still think the it has far more to do with driver control and attentiveness than it does FWD or RWD. Now in a truck 4x2 vs 4x4 does make a difference since that unloaded bed is a real liability on icey hills trying to get up one.

I'm still digging that Caddy that runs on regular gas. I also am a fan of the L36 W-bodies but would only really get a Regal or an Intrique because I didn't like the interior of the Grand Prix I borrowed once.
                            Central TEXAS Sleeper
                            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                            X