Most Popular Hybrids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Popular Hybrids

With gas prices dropping (finally) and considering the price of these cars, I wonder how long they will continue to be developed and purchase by dollar thrifty consumers. I'd rather have a new Camaro SS or Mustang GT for that money.

Here are the top 10 most popular hybrids;

1. Toyota Prius
    Fuel Range: 45 Hwy/48 City
    MSRP: $22,000 - $24,270
    Invoice: $20,680 - $22,276
    This front-wheel drive, five-door liftback is a gas-electric hybrid.

2. Honda Civic Hybrid
    Fuel Range: 45 Hwy/40 City
    MSRP: $23,550 - $23,550
    Invoice: $21,675 - $21,675
    This hybrid is based off the regular gas-powered Civic.

3. Toyota Camry Hybrid
    Fuel Range: 34 Hwy/33 City
    MSRP: $26,150 - $26,150
    Invoice: $23,534 - $23,534
    Another front-wheel drive four-door sedan that seats five passengers that comes standard with Hybrid Synergy Drive, a combination electric motor/gasoline engine fitted with an efficient, continuously variable transmission.

4. Toyota Highlander Hybrid
    Fuel Range: 25 Hwy/27 City
    MSRP: $34,700 - $41,020
    Invoice: $31,230 - $36,712
    Another gas-electric hybrid engine that is only available in an all-wheel drive configuration, based on the popular Highlander SUV.

5. Saturn VUE Hybrid
    Fuel Range: 32 Hwy/25 City
    MSRP: $27,930 - $27,930
    Invoice: $26,115 - $26,115
    This one is a compact SUV that accommodates five passengers and has a regenerative nickel metal hydride battery pack in conjunction with either a four-cylinder or a V6 direct injection engine.

6. Ford Escape Hybrid
    Fuel Range: 31 Hwy/34 City
    MSRP: $29,305 - $33,385
    Invoice: $27,112 - $30,826
    This hybrid system provides a new, larger 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine linked to an electric motor.

7. Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid
    Fuel Economy: 22 Hwy/21 City
    MSRP: $50,455 - $53,260
    Invoice: $46,923 - $49,532
    GM's advanced 2-mode hybrid system conserves energy by using an electrically variable transmission, a 300-volt storage system and a 332-hp 6.0L Vortec V8 engine with Active Fuel Management and is able to accelerate using only the electric motor.

8. Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid
    Fuel Range: 34 Hwy/26 City
    MSRP: $25,555 - $25,555
    Invoice: $24,149 - $24,149
    The Malibu Hybrid utilises GM's "mild hybrid system" which uses a belt-alternator starter (BAS) to assist the gas engine and is built on the same platform as the Saturn Aura Green Line.

9. Mercury Mariner Hybrid
    Fuel Economy: 31 Hwy/34 City
    MSRP: $29,750 - $31,500
    Invoice: $27,543 - $29,135
    It uses a new, larger 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine linked to an electric motor.

10. Mazda Tribute Hybrid
    Fuel Economy: 30 Hwy/34 City
    MSRP: $25,310 - $29,570
    Invoice: $23,680 - $27,653
    The Tribute's hybrid drivetrain generates 155 net horsepower and is controlled by a continuously variable automatic transmission.

Source: AOL Autos

What do you guy's think ?

Re: Most Popular Hybrids

I think they're great, and you should get all your friends to buy them. Then the price of gas will continue to drop or stay where it is at least...and we can drive our hot rods with impunity.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My favorite hybrids aren't on the list. Then again they have nothing to do with the mpg factor really and everything to do with what Buick did in the 1980's with the Grand National and the Turbo6. Take a fuel efficient starting platform and ramp up the performance while trying to keep the economy in it. Hense my top ones are the Lexus GS and LS hybrids and the Honda Accord Hybrid. Both took the top dog V6 engine and put a hybrid electric on it for a boost in performance and in economy.
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

No thanks on the hybrid. I'll stick with the Pumpkin, smoke the tires at will around town and 26 mpg on the hwy. Got to love a 6 speed 8).
        "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

I think I will continue to run my Camaro on E85 even though E85 is currently priced a dime a gallon above 87 unleaded.

That's about as close to any hybrid as I will ever get ;D

Comment

I think hybrids have a limited place, but a place none the less.

For example, the escape would make a great mail carrier vehicle - most of the time they are at idle or low speed making frequent stops - the vast majority of that time they would be on electric - as long as the operator didn't stab the throttle to the floor between houses.

I think the escape / tahoe and the like are fine for a soccer mom that doesn't stray too far from home and makes frequent stops.

For someone with a freeway commute - they just don't make much sense - to me that's where diesels really shine.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

hybrids are really good for the freeway commute, if traffic is heavy. Plug in hybrids seem to be on the way, and will combine the advantage of electric (very low cost, pure electric short range travel with unlimited distance gasoline powered travel).

The payback thing is where it gets to be a challenge...batteries seem to be expensive and have a limited lifetime. We'll see how the supercap thing works out, that would help a lot.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

hoe

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                  wonder if they'll blow up like a transformer? I've seen two of those go, freaking scary.
                  Bitchin' eh?

The first time I saw a transformer go hari-kari I heard it before I saw it. The only way to describe the sound is to say it was exactly like the cheesy "electricity" sound effect that you see on television, except very much more ominous. Then the sparks and crap started shooting out.

We were some distance away so my dad and I were just kind of taking this in, meanwhile my mom was acting like it was Three Mile Island.

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

If you want scary, watch lithium polymer batteries...

as far as I know all the current hybrids use nicad or nimh batteries.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                    X