Magazines VS. The Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magazines VS. The Internet

This is kind off something Dave said, where he said "At least magazines are a permanent record."

Which brings up the question, will the Internet end up making Magazines a thing of the past??

I mean in the old days before the internet, or me knowing about these message forums, I would look forward to reading the new magazine when it came out. Basically I don't have to many friends that I hang out with on a regular basis that are into hot rods, so reading the mag was like hanging out with my hot rod buddies and catching up on the latest trends and coolest parts. Which I guess is why I've been kind of fallowing Dave around on these internet sites. I've been reading stories of his in the various magazines for so many years that he just seems like a friend, even though we have never met. He and along with the rest of the writers in those mags filled a void in my life when it came to talking about hot rods, and sure it was kind of a one sided conversation, but I looked forward to it every month.

But now with the internet and being connected with so many people that share my same interests, I have found that reading the mags aren't as fun as it used to be. And it seems of late that they are full of more advertising that content, and the content just isn't as appealing to me as it might be to others. Plus here I can ask questions and get responses way faster than you would in hoping that your question gets answered by the magazine. And with so many people sharing there projects and linking to other projects, I find that the projects in the mags that I'm waiting for is just a few keyboard clicks away.

So who do you think is going to come out on top, the Mags or the Net?

Re: Magazines VS. The Internet

The business environment will show how badly all print pubs are suffering, largely due to the Web. Yet no is really making huge money on the web, either; it's more fractured.

IMO, big titles like Hot Rod and Motor Trend will always be around, but smaller niche magazines will fall off in favor of niche web sites with better content.

Comment

The internet kind of cuts out the need for broad advertising that the magazines provided. If you want to find a part, you just google and find the manufacturers web page directly. And there are plenty of specialized forums where you can learn how to do the stuff you need.

And then you have people like me who go to some trouble to reduce or eliminate advertising on their browser. I can't be good for business.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

My laptop does not fit on the back of the toilet! I read this FJY forum daily...it has a much more personal feel. I will still subscribe to 3 or 4 mags, just told hold the toilet tank down!

Comment

I will always subscrib to HR and CC pick -up PHR on occasion unless they get filled with raunchy pics of women ( and CC is really on the boarder. Here you have women with cars and if that isn't your thing you don't open that thread !

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
            The internet kind of cuts out the need for broad advertising that the magazines provided. If you want to find a part, you just google and find the manufacturers web page directly. And there are plenty of specialized forums where you can learn how to do the stuff you need.

I think that states it pretty well. With the erosion of their special status on directing the world toward manufacturer's products and when anyone can write something and have it seen, magazines will still have a place but have to cut way back. Newsprint?

We love our media, but what can a website do to be useful in a way that brings in dollars?

Maybe blogs that explain products and how to use them, put in a special section that's informative and readable. To be honest, the suspension parts colorful and action-packed ad showing cars doing doughnuts didn't do a thing for me and probably was expensive to produce, etc. Instead a simple page explaining some suspension theory and some video of their parts in action might-have sold me something. Then have lots of such "advertising", keeping it easy and cheap for the advertiser so little guys can buy in.

Comment

I've been reading magazines since i was alittle kid, and I have 30 years of milk crates to prove it...
              I'd like to think I'll always buy the magazines.

Then again, when is the last time I bought an Album? (and I'm a freakin' musician!)

I do feel the same way as TubbedCamaro.
              1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
              1997 Mustang GT
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kso4
                ............, magazines will still have a place but have to cut way back. Newsprint?

We love our media, but what can a website do to be useful in a way that brings in dollars?

Maybe blogs that explain products and how to use them, put in a special section that's informative and readable. To be honest, the suspension parts colorful and action-packed ad showing cars doing doughnuts didn't do a thing for me and probably was expensive to produce, etc. Instead a simple page explaining some suspension theory and some video of their parts in action might-have sold me something. Then have lots of such "advertising", keeping it easy and cheap for the advertiser so little guys can buy in.
                I did find the suspension episode alluring and if I had a GM A body the video clip would have pushed me into installing the Air Ride suspension.
                a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

With the proliferation of paid people who post their "opinions" on the web - why not something similar to Angie's list for hot rodders? 20 bucks a year to find out who the latest company is who sells crap would be pay for itself in a day or two.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
                    I will always subscrib to HR and CC pick -up PHR on occasion unless they get filled with raunchy pics of women ( and CC is really on the boarder. Here you have women with cars and if that isn't your thing you don't open that thread !
                    like this ?

Comment

I'll always get Hot Rod and most likely Car Craft... and I'll be here..

Print has worked for 60yrs... this isn't working yet... our job is to make it work... but I still like the permanent record..

Keith

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                        Originally posted by HoosierGTA
                        like this ?
                        I had a couple of the Autobuff mags while back.
                        One had a scantly clad chick laying on a 68 dart and another one on a Olds Rallye350.
                        The internet magizine unless they can figure out how to stop people from looking for free isn't going to do anything in the way of profit.
                        If I had to pay to log onto a site I would move on to another.

Comment

Same here, I have it to go back to, no matter what.

Comment

ah Autobuff... i had to cross town to get it!!!never liked the cheap newprint orange colored pages that were in it....but i loved the format featues...2 pages and a couple of color shots and specs...simple.

i agree...i still like my mags...just now i buy less of them....EM,HR,CC and an occasional PHR

i would like to see something like 'PHR TV'(.com),a straight 12-20 minutes, with more tech and less farting around..(skuza wasn't really that funny)

loved the CJTV dyno session.....

looking forward to the FJ episodes...

alan

alan
                            "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

MY 02 again...

i WOULD pay for special "programming' (ala I-tunes episodes) or a 'coded' download...that i could (look forward to) and unzip... ;D...kinda like pay per view in a way...

alan

i would like to here from DF on this...would it be viable?? :-\
                              "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X