Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer question from a dumb ass

Hey guys.
    I need assistance from someone who has a clue.

I've been having some weird issues with my lap top which I suspect are the result of some virusy type things invading my 'puter. As such, I bought the Norton 2009 deal and tried to run it on this thing.

Here's my problem. My CPU usage, even when the computer is sitting idle spikes to 100% and generally stays up at like 70-80%. I look in the task manager and there are like 6.4 milling .exe deals running all at once.

With the CPU being at full throttle the full system check by the Norton will take weeks. It was moving so slow I could read the names of each file as it was being looked at. If I had let it run it would not have completed by tomorrow at this time.

What gives? How do I get some breathing room for the Norton deal to do it's thing?

In short WTF?
    ;D

Brian

That which you manifest is before you.

Re: Computer question from a dumb ass

See what you get for visiting those naughty sites? ummmmm.....

Anyways, one way to get help is to download hijackthis and then post the results to a forum where knowlegable folks help you figure out what to do.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

And here I thought the only side effect would be the hair on my palms...damn!

I have my log, now I need to seek out a forum to analyze. Thanks!

Brian

Comment

I had similar issues. I installed superantispyware.com on my computer and it has been perfect, just like before I let the kids use it!

Comment

Norton and McAfee are both CPU and memory hogs - so much so that it seems their cure is worse then the disease.... I've had good luck with my hometown hero - Microsoft One Care.... it doesn't seem to be as intrusive; nor as CPU demanding as the other two.
          With that said, you can tell your computer to scan at times when you're not working on it; and make sure it doesn't check everything you type.
          Finally, clean out your cache....
          As for naughty sites... most certainly stay off the Studebaker sites - those sites are full of Studebakers and guaranteed to slow you down. ;D
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I don't use AV software, never have...although I've used other peoples' computers with it and agree that it's worse than having a virus.

And as far as I can tell I've never had a virus on my computer. I'm careful, I put a rubber on the LAN cable before I plug it into the hub. And I don't use Microsoft stuff to get on the internet...I use Firefox for browsing, and Thunderbird for email (and before that Mozilla, and before that Netscape)

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Stoneshrink
              Norton and McAfee are both CPU and memory hogs - so much so that it seems their cure is worse then the disease.... I've had good luck with my hometown hero - Microsoft One Care.... it doesn't seem to be as intrusive; nor as CPU demanding as the other two.
              With that said, you can tell your computer to scan at times when you're not working on it; and make sure it doesn't check everything you type.
              Finally, clean out your cache....
              As for naughty sites... most certainly stay off the Studebaker sites - those sites are full of Studebakers and guaranteed to slow you down. ;D
              Norton does slow everything down including the start up. Try shutting off everything running in lower right hand corner of the Windows screen (by the clock) that you do not need. Everything down there is running right now. Right click and hit exit. Leave your Norton, Anti spyware, and such close all else. See how much faster it's running then.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I had the thing stripped down to nothingness earlier today and the CPU was at 80%+ fluctuating all over the place.

The new Norton has a speedo deal on it that shows you the CPU usage VS what the Norton is using. There were flashes that were 97% CPU usage and 3% Norton. It was crawling HARD and the only thing open was the Norton window.

I know it slows things down as we have it on our desktop, but this thing was being dragged down to it's knees. It's a decent piece too, a Sony Vaio that's got about 3-4 years of use.

Brian

Comment

damn, if you 've been using the same windoze installation for 3-4 years, it's time for a format and fresh install. Although you'll probably lose some crap that you forget to back up...or else you'll back up the files that caused the virus in the first place

My fabulous web page

Comment

I had the same problem with Norton, now I use a free av my friend told me about, AVG http://www.free-download-place.net/a...D=111513343011
                    it doesn't seem to slow my laptop down, but then I don't know if it's actually working
                    I never used anti virus before but about 3 months ago I had a problem where everytime I booted up I had to system restore, I bought the Norton, it slowed everything way down and didn't fix my problem, so I chalked it up as wasted money and threw it away so I wouldn't waste time with it again, the AVG Free stopped my problem but didn't say what it did
                    Joe

Comment

I'm a computer idiot also but it sounds like you need more power . Put a blower on it! ( supercharger ) .

Comment

As for cleaning up the windows install, there's a program called CCleaner, you can download it free at www.cnet.com, it analyzes you windows registry and cleans out anything that broken or shouldn't be there. I like Norton over McAfee, but don't get the protect you from everything deal (virus/spam/email/etc) just get the stripped down anti-virus version.
                        sigpic

Comment

You might want to check out this site: http://www.komando.com/ America's digital goddess.
                          I love listening to this radio show and she knows what she's talking about. Not bad looking either. And you can get podcasts too. I'm sure you'll find some good info there.

Comment

Might want to run through this. It really helped me when I had a similar issue.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Ok now THAT is bitchin.

I'm going to go through it tonight.

Thanks man!

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X