Clear All

• Pontiac Next To Go?

Saw a news blip this morning on Bloomberg about GM
    Said as part of their business plan would be to eliminate
    Pontiac, Hummer, Saturn and Saab.
    Man, it'd be a pisser to see the Poncho go.......we've already
    lost the Oldsmobile.

Re: Pontiac Next To Go?

Might as well, GM hasent made a good decsion yet.
    Theres only a zillion Grand Prixs on the road today.
    Why don't they come out with about 10 more mini van models?

Comment

I guess being the nostalgic type, I hate seeing the
      Pontiac name go bye bye
      Yeah, that GTO they came out with awhile back
      was a big hit wasn't it :
      To this day I can still remember seeing a red '65 GTO
      on the local dealer's showroom floor (back when the dealer only had room to
      show one or two cars)

Comment

I really can't see saturn going, but who knows

Comment

Hummer has been the proverbial "monkey on their back"

Saab will be snapped up by a foreign entity(perhaps the Swiss(or is it Sweden?)

Saturn.....kinda up in the air on that one. Could be a sales leader if managed properly..LOL

Pontiac.......man, I'd see Buick getting the ax befoe the PMD(sorry, CTX).....I'd wager Pontiac's sales being higher than Buick's.

Makes me wonder if they're taking a hard look at GMC/Chevrolet truck divisions.......really doesn't make sense to have 2 versions ofthe same truck/van/SUV

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
            Hummer has been the proverbial "monkey on their back"

Saab will be snapped up by a foreign entity(perhaps the Swiss(or is it Sweden?)

Saturn.....kinda up in the air on that one. Could be a sales leader if managed properly..LOL

Pontiac.......man, I'd see Buick getting the ax befoe the PMD(sorry, CTX).....I'd wager Pontiac's sales being higher than Buick's.

Makes me wonder if they're taking a hard look at GMC/Chevrolet truck divisions.......really doesn't make sense to have 2 versions ofthe same truck/van/SUV
            Buick's the last few decades have had a higher profit margin between being assembled in Canada and being priced slightly higher than Pontiac, Chevy and Olds with a similar if not cheaper build cost. If I rememeber right, when Olds got the ax Buick was the most profitable division, but that may not be the case today it was true. It's still the middle luxury division.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

The problem with pontiac I'd say is that its not really that much of a jump from Chevy. Buicks seem to be thought of as being above them both. And with Olds out of the way the next thing is Cad at the top of the heap. Funny thing is alot of people my parents age have always wanted a cadilac but thought there friends would think they were showing off so...they always bought a Buick.

Comment

Buick is cleaning up overseas and providing just about the only decent revenue stream into GM from their Asian sales. They are outselling the ba-jasus out of Pontiac overall.

The BAD decision would be to get rid of Buick...the painful decision is to get rid of Pontiac.

It's a new world boys and girls. Those "millions" of grand prix models running around do NOTHING to help the compay RIGHT NOW, which is when they need it.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Didn't realize Buick was doing so well overseas.....learn something new every day.

I would've guessed Pontiac outselling Buick....makes me wonder about Chevrolet?

Still curious about GMC's chances....

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
                    Didn't realize Buick was doing so well overseas.....learn something new every day.

I would've guessed Pontiac outselling Buick....makes me wonder about Chevrolet?

Still curious about GMC's chances....

Ya apparently Buick is doing great in china.... who would have thought...

Comment

The other problem with scrapping Buick now, at least in the business sense, is that you now have a brand with "global" recognition due to the Asian enthusiasm for the cars. Outside of Canada, Pontiacs aren't sold anywhere else.

I'm interested on the GMC front as well. My gut tells me that it's possible GMC will be the only branch of GM selling trucks. Focus all the truck sales on that one brand and everyone else pays attention to cars only. No idea if that's how it is going to go, just thinking out loud.

Brian

Comment

Yeah...GMC being THE truck brand would make sense.

Wow, sounds like I need to do some homework in regards to brand proliferation.

Comment

Chris, your first assignment is to read this.

Here you go:

Brian

Comment

Kills me.

Abso-friggin'-lutely KILLS me.

How the hell can they let it go so WRONG here at home, yet they're selling gangbusters abroad?

Yeah, yeah, healthcare and untenable labor agreements...still.....WTF?!

Gonna go watch Pinks! and calm down for a moment....

Tiresmoke!

Comment

We have the Bowtie over here now, see ?em everywhere.

http://www.chevrolet.es/

Comment

Working...
                              X