I need some paint advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some paint advice

Can anyone share some info, or point me to a good reference?

The short version:
    My truck was painted in May, paid more than "mid-price", 2 or 3 times what the cheapest guys wanted... anyway. It's a mess, wrong colours, full of dirt/runs/dry spots, etc.
    Two examples:
    Told the guy not to paint the inside of the box. Guess that implied masking it off... He did not mask, nor clean it. You can imagine the amount of dirt in there after I removed a bedliner of 10 years!
    Same thing up front, did not mask the engine. Ton's of dirt, and a white engine compartment.

Basically, sprayed right over what I delivered, rock chips, scratches and all. I could have done that.

Questions start with this:
    It's two tone, metalic white over metalic green. (Ford Caymen Green Metalic)
    Should the dark colour be done first, over the whole vehicle? Or the light colour first, over the whole vehicle?

If it ends up being stripped/primered (likely), would I want to do the whole thing one colour first? The dividing line follows a body line, it's pretty inconspicuous. Likely covered by a thin tape or paint line.

Any thoughts?
    1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
    1997 Mustang GT
    sigpic

Re: I need some paint advice

It's two tone, metalic white over metalic green. (Ford Caymen Green Metalic)
    Should the dark colour be done first, over the whole vehicle? Or the light colour first, over the whole vehicle?
    If it was me I'd paint the light color first, as it's easier to paint over a light color than a dark color. Second I wouldn't paint the whole vehicle the light color, I would only paint the area's that are going to be the light color the light color and then mask onto the light color to cover it up while spraying the dark color.

Comment

Sorry the guy screwed you. I wonder if you have any recourse thru you consumer protection people? You likely would have been better off at MAACO. If you pay them a bit more, they actually do a pretty good job, and they do, at least, clean before they spray (varies with franchise) and you can go to the company if the franchise owner won't give you any satisfaction.

As far as the redo - I'd definitely spray the white first. TC's right - no need to spray the whole thing. Just make sure that the white extends well beyond the area that you want white. Let the white dry completely, then tape off for the green (sounds like a nice combination, BTW). If it will be base/clear, inspect carefully for any green on the white before you shoot clear. It's practically a trademark of my two tone jobs to have a little of one color on the the other, sealed under the clear. Not planned, just seems to happen.

Good Luck
      Dan

Comment

Teddyzee: there are very few things that suck more than spending major dinero on body and paint and being disappointed with the result as a consequence of (a) poor quality workmanship or (b) having got the colour choice wrong, or (c) finding out that your paint/body guy wasn't paying attention to what you wanted to begin with.

Dan makes really good points - and especially about MAACO. Notwithstanding some of the derogatory stuff that goes around about them, any time I've attempted to dig a little deeper it generally ends up as an unsubstantiated "friend of a friend" type of story. I've had half a dozen paint jobs (no bodywork, in every instance I did that myself) done by MAACO at an equal number of franchises over the last 30 years. While none of them have been 'concours d'elegance', none of them has been a disappointment either. The reality is the MAACO painters spray a lot of cars and its hard not to get better with practise. I used to spray cars myself before my personal housing situation (single car garage in suburbia) and the environmental regs around here conspired to make it a non-starter.

Just to be clear, I don't own a MAACO franchise or otherwise have a vested interest in promoting them. I had the El Camino done seven years ago by a well-recommended independent shop south-west of Ottawa, it's a good job and is holding up well but cost WAAAY more than what I should have paid for it. I believe I could have got the same paint job from MAACO for much less than half the price.

I can also vouch for what TubbedCamaro and Dan say about NOT doing the whole thing one colour first; rather, slighty overspray the first colour and then mask and overlap.

You're not going to race the truck are you? Old timers claim green is unlucky for a race vehicle.

Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Working...
        X