Anybody build model cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody build model cars?

Being in a wheelchair, there isnt shit for me to do in the wintertime besides wrench in my snoopy-sized 1 car garage, so I build model cars. Mostly1:24-1:25 scale, but it is fun. I s about the only car modifictaions i can afford since I went back to school in the fall! Here is my latest score: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting Anybody else out there build model cars?

Rudy

Re: Anybody build model cars?

Rudy

Here is another thread on models. Not sure if you saw this one or not.

http://www.freiburgersjunkyard.com/f...p?topic=5109.0

Jim
    Jim T
    Supercar Collectibles
    www.Supercar1.com

Comment

Thank you. No, I did not see it. That is some amazing work you do. Do you build replicas of people's specific vehicles? I bet there could be some money in that..... I am building about 4 right now, a 69 Mustang "Gas Rhonda" funnycar, a 26 Ford Model T-sedan delivery that I have scratchbuilt a chassis for, Z'd and all, channeled the body over it, fenderless of course, with a flathead for motivation, everything used is from a spare-prts box I bought from a guy off of the H.A.M.B. for 5 bucks, wheels too.... Gives you a nice pallete to work with. Will be a nice traditional/rattish hotrod when done. Also a 57 chevy stepside for a nice parts truck, tow vehicle, and last but not least a 65 Ford Falcon "Iowa Shaker" AWB funny car as a chrismas gift for my uncle, painted white to match his stocker. Should make a neat gift. Just got the suspension under it today, and finished all painting except the body. Models are just a good way to build cars when you cant afford to, the way you want to. Keeps your mind sharp and it is fun to fabricate and paint and such. I built alot when I was younger (27 now) but I burned, blew up and shot all of those. I built about 8 in a row 5 years ago after I was paralyzed in a motorcycle accident, and find it a good way to entertain myself in the winter, or if it is too hot out. Would like to see more of your work!

Rudy

Comment

I used to build alot but I havent the past few years .I think I am going to this winter to keep myself from going nutty.

Comment

Hey Rudy.......
          I used to build many a model car back in the 50's & 60's
          Mom used to see that big smile on my face when she would peek into my bedroom......of course
          she didn't realize I was in a closed room with all the model glue ;D
          On the serious side......I can remember putting the flames and
          fender skirts on.....it was a blast.

Comment

Rudy,

My company patterns many 1:18 cars we have made after real cars at times, but then they are produced in runs of 300-2,500 cars, so not on a one at a time basis. If some here are interested in just 1 car done in 1:18 - to be just like yours, we do have some contacts/names of those talented enough to do so. They of course must start with a 1:18 body already being offered (produced) but will then paint it to match yours, use parts/wheels/engines from several different cars to get what he needs to make it as close as possible to an idividuals car. I believe he starts at about the $300 range (?) but what's it worth to get one "just" like a real one? Remember, he usually rips apart several cars, just to make your one. If anyone is intested let me know.

Monk,

That Red Nova you have (?) is the exact color combo of a car my wife had back in the late 70's. She always talks about it, and looks at every Red Nova we see at shows. They have always been special to her. Me too for that matter, so thanks for sharing it.

Here's one that's close to it, that we did several years back.

Jim T
            Supercar Collectibles
            www.Supercar1.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jimsc52
              Rudy,

My company patterns many 1:18 cars we have made after real cars at times, but then they are produced in runs of 300-2,500 cars, so not on a one at a time basis. If some here are interested in just 1 car done in 1:18 - to be just like yours, we do have some contacts/names of those talented enough to do so. They of course must start with a 1:18 body already being offered (produced) but will then paint it to match yours, use parts/wheels/engines from several different cars to get what he needs to make it as close as possible to an idividuals car. I believe he starts at about the $300 range (?) but what's it worth to get one "just" like a real one? Remember, he usually rips apart several cars, just to make your one. If anyone is intested let me know.

Monk,

That Red Nova you have (?) is the exact color combo of a car my wife had back in the late 70's. She always talks about it, and looks at every Red Nova we see at shows. They have always been special to her. Me too for that matter, so thanks for sharing it.

Here's one that's close to it, that we did several years back.

Jim
              It's Hugger Orange (Pontiac called it Carousel Red)
              That's a cool model.......put a custom paint job on it (stripe delete) and it pretty
              much matches my car...engine and all.

Comment

Like this one....?
                Jim T
                Supercar Collectibles
                www.Supercar1.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jimsc52
                  Like this one....?
                  Cool!