Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Went somewhere pretty interesting today. (Lohnes, you'd have been in heaven)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went somewhere pretty interesting today. (Lohnes, you'd have been in heaven)

Spent the better part of today at the Campo Motor Transport Museum. They call it a museum, but it's more like a junkyard for ancient machinery. They're completely run by volunteers, and have absolutely no budget to speak of, so most of this stuff will never be restored. They are currently working on a 1924 Cadillac carriage thing that they are actually being paid to restore. I think I counted 20 chain drive Mack trucks while I was there, and countless vehicles that I have NO idea what they were.

Anyway, on to the photos... I took over 100, so I'll link to the album at the bottom - but here are some of my favorites. I took these all with my crappy point-and-shoot, so excuse the quality of some:

A few old Caddy convertibles:

Leaning tower of bus

Cool old Chevy

This guy was for sale:

Who doesn't like a half-track?

War wagon:

This engine was ENORMOUS:

Here's the link to the whole album... 162 pics:
    http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...ud66/transport museum/

Re: Went somewhere pretty interesting today. (Lohnes, you'd have been in heaven)

"Here's the link to the whole album... 162 pics:
    http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...ud66/transport museum/"

Page not found.. :'(

Comment

Re: Went somewhere pretty interesting today. (Lohnes, you'd have been in heaven)

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
      "Here's the link to the whole album... 162 pics:
      http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f9...ud66/transport museum/"

Page not found.. :'(
      hmmm..... Try again?

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

would luv to hear the story that belongs to that worthington engine :o man that is one hell of a flywheel

Comment

BIG! (great pics Ecniv)

Comment

Cool place and pics ;).

Cant remember the name on this truck,but i remember that they where built on 42 plymouth chassis in Cali in the fifties.

They did them only on 42 Plymouth chassis,and when the supply of chassis ran empty,they stopped producing them.

Comment

The regular sheetmetal designer must have been on vacation while the cobbled up that truck.. lol

Wow.... Major Cool stuff there!
              www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

What an awesome group of machinery!

I had a few minutes and watched the entire slide show. I certainly was not expecting to see trains. While I too don't know much about what I'm looking at, I wouldn't want to leave that place. Lots of neat stuff in there, some trucks almost look like they could be fired up with a little work.

Apparently they're asking $500 for that brown Chevy pickup: http://www.motortransportmuseum.org/html/forsale2.htm

hmmmm, seems like a museum where it would be hard to leave without a souvenir! ;D

Comment

Yep, Brian would have goo'ed his jeans !!!

;D

Comment

Just wait 'til that boy sees the GINORMOUS Worthington engine....

I'd bet dollars to donuts he'd be devising some plan to plant that thing in the nose of his tractor.

Never mind the fact that he'd have to build about 20' of extra frame onto the front of it, and several bogey axles to support it.

I'd think it's HAVE to be a Lovejoy coupling to connect it...LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                      BIG! (great pics Ecniv)

It would be incredible to see this running!!!!

I wonder what the ring gaps get set at or how many feet of lift for the camshaft???!!!!????
                      Tampa, FL

Comment

The train pics are actually from another museum about a half mile down the road - the Pacific Southwest Railroad Museum. They are apparently the only museum that actively runs a train across an international border. Wife, Kid, and I will ride the train in a few weeks... they do a "North Pole Express" train that sounds pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam
                          Cool place and pics ;).

Cant remember the name on this truck,but i remember that they where built on 42 plymouth chassis in Cali in the fifties.

They did them only on 42 Plymouth chassis,and when the supply of chassis ran empty,they stopped producing them.
                          It is a Powell. The little plaque they had on the thing said they didn't use compound curves in order to keep the cost down. It had California tags on it from 1991.

I'm going to see if I can't volunteer to work there and help them out with working on some stuff. That Powell would be awesome to work on and get put back to driver condition. It's very, very rusty though.

Comment

ecniv!

Thanks for the PM and the redirection. How the crap did I miss this!?!

That giant Worthy engine has my interest piqued. I'm going to have to research that mother.

That row of old flatbeds has just about brought me to tears.
                            I'd probably chain myself to something so I physically couldn't leave...man that's cool.

Those old industrial trucks are such a weakness of mine. NICE!

Thanks again for teasing me. How the hell and I supposed to sleep now.

Brian
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That Powell truck got my attention... I have Powell in my blood. My mom (a genealogy freak) is going to try find out if the Powell brothers are relatives of mine.

If so, I'm claiming that truck as family property! ;D
                              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X