End of late model muscle???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of late model muscle???

After reading on here about the possible demise of pontiac, I'm just bummed out With all thats going on with detroit, the recent runup in fuel prices ( which I think WILL return ), and all the talk of greener/smaller vehicles, are new performance cars done? I think all 3 mfg's have done an incredable job the last 10 or 15 yrs and deserve a hell of alot more credit than they get. But as much as I love the high hp cars, I've got a feeling that they wont be around much longer. Seems like too small of a market and alot of bad PR. What's all the other gearheads in the world think?? Have we seen the last 400 + horse cars?

Re: End of late model muscle???

Yeah, I think the glory days are about to end.

Comment

Feels like '72 all over again.

Comment

But we wont see a LS7 with 8,5 compression this time ;D

Comment

Not the best of times for factory hi-po offerings, but NEVER count it out.

What is offered right now? Yeah, I'd say it's pretty much done....but not for good.

Even if it's hybrids or full-on electric, they'll be someone hopping them up.....

Comment

I'm about to get my EMT license, and I can't wait to roll up on the first major electric car accident... with battery goo all over.

Don't get me started on Hydrogen cars...

BTW, I'm a fan of biodiesel... no boom, & no acid.

Comment

working at a pontiac dealer , not good news
              I have chev, buick and gmc too , thank the heavens
              I had a trans am and an espirt , my pops always buys pontiacs , since 70 , he has 2 montana vans and a sunfire convert now , my brother still drives his 99 grand prix , and my sister has an 05 montana van
              killing the firechicken and the jellybeaner gto ws not a great idea , in hindsight

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman
                I'm about to get my EMT license, and I can't wait to roll up on the first major electric car accident... with battery goo all over.

Don't get me started on Hydrogen cars...

BTW, I'm a fan of biodiesel... no boom, & no acid.
                My thoughts on this about hydrogen is:

How often does gasoline leak AND ignite after an accident? Hydrogen won't be any different, if anything a leaking hydrogen will rise and disperse fairly quickly. No ignition source, no BOOM. Gasoline vapors are dense enough to hang around. Secondly the fuel cell shouldn't have the potential to explode if punctured, meaning if ignited right after it's punctured then all you will get is a small torch like flame (although it will be a mostly invisible flame to be weary of). If the collision is strong enough to completely mangle the cell cause full structural failure then odds are even in a gas vehicle it would probably end very badly for the occupants.

Batteries on the other hand...Those would scare me, shorts cause all sorts of issues.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                  working at a pontiac dealer , not good news
                  I have chev, buick and gmc too , thank the heavens
                  I'm in the same kind of spot.

I feel good about a future at a GM dealer, just not quite sure what it will look like when the sh'tstorm is over.

Comment

How often does gasoline leak AND ignite after an accident? Hydrogen won't be any different,
                    I'm not going to totally agree with this statement, as there is a big big difference in the way that gas is stored in a car and how Hydrogen would be stored in a car. It's like this, gas is stored in a plastic or thin sheet metal container(gas tank), where as Hydrogen would be stored in a cast iron bottle. I'm not saying that you can't crack the cast iron, but I'm sure it'll be a hell of a lot harder to do than a normal gas tank would be. Put it this way if a wreck was hard enough to crack the cast iron, the people probably would be dead anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by FEF100
                      Feels like '72 all over again.

At least they were still platforms you could do something with after 1972,now forget it,its gonna make
                      1973 and after look like good times. I bet in 20 years there wont even be a Corvette.Never mind the Mustang
                      Challenger and the new Camaro, G8 and so forth.Thank god I have the mechanical ability to keep an old car on the road.

Comment

boy, this is pretty far off topic now...

anyways, a promising way to store hydrogen is as a metal hydride, not as a gas.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Looks like the glory days are over ( for awhile)

Man, 2009 was set to be the greatest year of all for modern factory muscle with the ZR1, Cad. CTS-V, G8 GT, Cobalt SS, Challenger, Camaro, and a few other fun cars to choose from.

I am half afraid to purchase a new hot rod for fear of that brand going under after they get my money.

Comment

It is sad. I mean, here we are with a group of automakers that are still trying to take care of us, while simultaneously working to improve emissions, safety, etc., and now they are going in the tank. I am not saying they are doing everything right, by a long shot, but timing sure sucks. Bad. For a lot of people.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                              boy, this is pretty far off topic now...

anyways, a promising way to store hydrogen is as a metal hydride, not as a gas.

You got it all wrong, we don't want batteries and electric motors, we want something we can burn. And what not better than hydrogen, I mean it's end product is water after all.

But then what kind of effects would there be on global warming with millions of car pumping moisture into the air. Just think, it could rain a lot more here in Phoenix. ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X