Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you work on cars for a living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you work on cars for a living?

Ok, i know we have full time mechanics on here, but i was wondering how many of us work on cars everyday to earn our living?

Im in a local tech/mechanic school right now, so technically im not a full time mechanic yet.

Re: How many of you work on cars for a living?

As much as I love to twist wrenches, you couldn't pay me enough to work on someone elses greasy junk.

I do respect the ones who do, though.
    Rich

sigpic

Comment

Sort of. I was a dealership mechanic for a while in my life, then ended up doing dyno testing on engines and vehicles for the Federal Govt. Doing dyno work, from time to time I would do an engine rebuild or whatever else needed doing. I never got certified because the Gov really didn't care if I did or if I didn't.

Dan

Comment

Been there, done that for 10 years. I had a Mercedes Benz repair shop for 7 years of it and worked for a few different shops for the rest. But it came down to the point that I worked on everyone elses car but my own. So I quit working on cars and got into the construction field.

Comment

Me still...

Comment

let me recommend another line of work kid.......

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              My goal isnt to work in a dealership or anything like that...

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                Originally posted by Woodward_Dreams
                There are probably a ton of people on here who have flipped cars for extra money... what are you asking?
                Not really understanding your question. Just curious how many people work on cars for a living.

Comment

All day long, I work for a vw dealership. Have worked for the dealership since I got of tech school five years ago. I do find that I don't work on my own stuff very much and my major problem has been my investment in tools has been mostly metric due to the brand I work on all day, so my tools at home are lacking for any ability to work on my American stuff. The flip side is I work at a dealership that has some genuine car guys there that are heavy into air cooled but most cars in general. Hell my service manager has three or four aircooled and a 57 corvette. My shop puts on a benefit car show and cruise once a year and though out the year we all hook up and go for cruises and hit up the swap meets and various other auto related functions. Even have a tech that has swapped a 1.8 liter water cooled motor into his 67 bug and is building a turbo motor for it this winter, it runs low 14's with the current motor and is hoping for low 12s with the turbo. I guess in short do some research on the company you intend to hire with cause with all the 6 figure salary promises from the tech schools the industry on the repair side seems full of guys trying to make a paycheck not car guys and that can make for a long day if they just don't get it

Comment

There are probably a ton of people on here who have flipped cars for extra money... what are you asking?
                    Not really understanding your question. Just curious how many people work on cars for a living.
                    I guess I was asking unrelated questions like, do you want to work for a fab / resto / hotrod shop, or do you want to work in a dealership / repair shop?

I probably missed what you were asking, reading between lines that weren't there. I'm bad about that. Sorry. It's clearer now... and since I don't, I'll sit down now. lol. It's back at the top anyway... heh. ;)

Haha... its cool. Im not really sure what i want to do.... just trying to get through school right now.

Comment

I'll talk to him on tuesday and try to get some pics for you guys

Comment

I don't. By choice.
                        I think working 8 hours a day on other peoples cars, regardless how much or little it pays, would leave very little motivation to also do work on my own cars after that.

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                          I don't. By choice.
                          I think working 8 hours a day on other peoples cars, regardless how much or little it pays, would leave very little motivation to also do work on my own cars after that.
                          That is exactly the reason I chose not to become a mechanic. My shop teacher and several others insisted that the best career choice for me would be a mechanic. I like working on cars, and decided that if I did it all day every day, I would not enjoy it.

I'm glad I didn't, cuz the job I have now is a lot better than most mechanic's jobs.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

I always follow the rule of " your job shouldn't be your hobby".
                            At work when something breaks down I stand back like I never saw a bolt break off before and let someone else fix it, then go home and rebuild my Holley!!!

Comment

I have worked in auto repair from age of 17 to 54 currently-it has been fun, easy, hard,frustrating, angering, stupid, etc etc-just like ANY JOB DURING 37 YEARS. Auto repair has enabled me to have a good life, although today I do suffer with aching joints and back, and failing knees, so now I own the company and have younger folks do the hard work. I will unlikely get rich from auto repair, but I also have never starved. I do avoid working on my own junk after 5 days of hassling with other peoples repairs, but I also, at this point in time, use slow periods to teach my younger guys about old cars by having them help me with my old car stuff these days.
                              67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                              05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

Working...
                              X