Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

Originally posted by Beagle
    - what have we learned in twenty freaking years?
    Oh!, Oh!, I know this one!!!!
    We have learned how a 1000lbs of safety and luxury equipment can wipeout 20 years worth of powertrain efficiency improvements.

Comment

What have we learned in 20 freaking years?

We've learned that the basic laws of physics still apply.

With every advancement in fuel economy
      (decel fuel shut off, internal EGR, variable valve timing, AT's with more gears, etc.)

We have an advancement in safety content and features that add weight and undo most of the fuel economy gains

How many cars 20 years ago would pass today's 5 star crash rating?
      How many came with heated and cooled seats?
      How many had front and side curtain airbags?
      How about a DVD player in the second row and a 6 dish changer in the dash along with navigation and a touch screen?

All these features are cool and safe, but they add plenty of weight, and at the end of the day if you want to accelerate more mass more quickly it's going to take more energy.

Until there are revolutionary changes in the strength / weight of materials, or to the internal combustion engine - there's only so much more that can be done about fuel economy as we know it.

One area that seems to be getting better is tires - Michelin especially seems to be making very low rolling resistance tires now that also meet the traction, breaking, and noise requirements.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

really do you need the dvd and nav system

the heated and cooled seat.

man you really do depend on your car to entertain you.

Comment

Originally posted by shaun callaway

I think he was just illustrating the point. Also, even if you DON'T want all that stuff, it's hard to find a vehicle on the lot that doesn't have all that excess stuff installed. Dealers make huge profit margins on the higher content vehicles, so they keep those around. Most people don't want to order a car, so they buy what they can find on a lot.

Comment

you can always fin a stripped down model

Comment

Not always.

Comment

then you didnt look good enough

Comment

dont give me this i bought it because thats all i can find. you can find anything you want now adays you just have to get off your ass and look for it.

Comment

Walt gets 20mpg with his 2001 Suburban on long freeway trips. And that was with the 250,000 mile 5.3 in it. It just got a new 5.3 this weekend, out of a 2005 truck. It has 30,000 miles on it or so. We'll see how it does.

I used to get 45 mpg shifting at redline all day long with my turbo diesel Mitsubishi. It was cool.

The '94 Vette mom has at home get's 30 on the highway and low 20's in town with 115,000 miles on it. 6 speeds are great.
                    "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

dont give me this i bought it because thats all i can find. you can find anything you want now adays you just have to get off your ass and look for it.
                      Seriously? Dude. Go car shopping for me then. I want a 2010 Camaro with the largest engine available, a stick, a/c delete, heater delete and radio delete, cloth seats, and manual windows, with no tint. Oh, and steelies with hubcaps.
                      "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

order it

Comment

Oh. Please give me a link where I can order a 6.1 Challenger without all the extras. Packages these days often get yu the good engine at the cost of having to take a bunch of other crap. You can't "order it." Look harder.

And show me how to buy a new car without airbags, antilock brakes, and as of 2012, one without a stability system.

Comment

No, not really, but that is what the buying public expects these days. If GM,Ford, And Chrysler didn't offer them then they would be yet again accused of having their heads in the sand.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                              Oh. Please give me a link where I can order a 6.1 Challenger without all the extras. Packages these days often get yu the good engine at the cost of having to take a bunch of other crap. You can't "order it." Look harder.

And show me how to buy a new car without airbags, antilock brakes, and as of 2012, one without a stability system.
                              if i remeber correctly you can buy a challenger like that. the nhra approved one.

why in hell would you want to take all of the saftey features out of a car. you have enough junk like that already.

Comment

Nice diversion, but I got off my ass and looked. You didn't. MANY new cars today can't even be ordered without air conditioning.

Comment

Working...
                                X