Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Ward
    replied
    Re: An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

Originally posted by squirrel
    Originally posted by Freiburger
    the cleanhands car magazines
    I make sure to get all my info from the dirtyhands publications

Would those be published by Larry Flint???

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

Media, from tv news to the cleanhands car magazines, are much to blame about perception of domestic cars. It's a bit late for the automakers to fight that down.

That was an interesting read. It seems a little sketchy though, like it was written by GM or the UAW. Only because all the Domestic cars are either brand new, or very questionable mileage figures (20mpg 4.8 liter v8 tahoe? seriously?) or the Honda Civic figures they quoted, which are well below the EPA ratings for "base engine" as stated in the report. Maybe the "cleanhands media" were accurate 2 years ago?

Sounds kinda biased to me, although honestly I haven't ever seen that much difference in comparable weight, comparably equipped foreign versus domestics. A toyota 22RE 4-banger can get 28mpg in a light 2wd pickup, or it can get 9mpg powering a mini-Winnebago camper.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

the cleanhands car magazines
    I make sure to get all my info from the dirtyhands publications

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied

The American companies have been making big vehicles for a long time, and they've had to get better mileage out of them for the past 30 years, so they've figured out how to do it. The imports got good mileage for years just because their cars were small.....but now that they're making bigger cars, they're finding its not so easy to keep them efficient.

I laughed when a friend told me he drives his 4x4 suburban instead of his Tundra because the suburban gets so much better mileage.

Leave a comment:

• Freiburger
    replied

Media, from tv news to the cleanhands car magazines, are much to blame about perception of domestic cars. It's a bit late for the automakers to fight that down.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied

GM for the past few months have been advertising their MPG hard, mainly against Toyota. The Chevy and Pontiac commercials highlight more cars that average over 30mpg than Toyota. Their V8 trucks are advertised as more MPG as well.

Leave a comment:

• Freiburger
    started a topic An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

Here's a very interesting review of mpg numbers for many cars and trucks. It conflicts with the popular media notion that domestic cars get terrible mileage:

HowStuffWorks has been explaining how things work to curious minds since 1998. Providing factual, unbiased content that's fun to read and makes difficult topics easy to understand.
Working...
X