Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

Here's a very interesting review of mpg numbers for many cars and trucks. It conflicts with the popular media notion that domestic cars get terrible mileage:

HowStuffWorks has been explaining how things work to curious minds since 1998. Providing factual, unbiased content that's fun to read and makes difficult topics easy to understand.

Re: An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

GM for the past few months have been advertising their MPG hard, mainly against Toyota. The Chevy and Pontiac commercials highlight more cars that average over 30mpg than Toyota. Their V8 trucks are advertised as more MPG as well.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Media, from tv news to the cleanhands car magazines, are much to blame about perception of domestic cars. It's a bit late for the automakers to fight that down.

Comment

The American companies have been making big vehicles for a long time, and they've had to get better mileage out of them for the past 30 years, so they've figured out how to do it. The imports got good mileage for years just because their cars were small.....but now that they're making bigger cars, they're finding its not so easy to keep them efficient.

I laughed when a friend told me he drives his 4x4 suburban instead of his Tundra because the suburban gets so much better mileage.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
          the cleanhands car magazines
          I make sure to get all my info from the dirtyhands publications

My fabulous web page

Comment

Media, from tv news to the cleanhands car magazines, are much to blame about perception of domestic cars. It's a bit late for the automakers to fight that down.

That was an interesting read. It seems a little sketchy though, like it was written by GM or the UAW. Only because all the Domestic cars are either brand new, or very questionable mileage figures (20mpg 4.8 liter v8 tahoe? seriously?) or the Honda Civic figures they quoted, which are well below the EPA ratings for "base engine" as stated in the report. Maybe the "cleanhands media" were accurate 2 years ago?

Sounds kinda biased to me, although honestly I haven't ever seen that much difference in comparable weight, comparably equipped foreign versus domestics. A toyota 22RE 4-banger can get 28mpg in a light 2wd pickup, or it can get 9mpg powering a mini-Winnebago camper.
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              the cleanhands car magazines
              I make sure to get all my info from the dirtyhands publications

Would those be published by Larry Flint???
              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

those would be the stickyhands magazines

My fabulous web page

Comment

ok so why does it appear that the numbers are super shakey.

it looks like they went to the dealer and pulled the high numbers off of the domestics and pulled the low numbers off of the imports.

did you guys even look at those corrola numbers come on really. dont buy into this domestic is better than imports because when it comes down to it the big three are the ones asking for help not the import companies.

on another note have you guys read about the new prius for 09 something like 90+ mpg possibly. hmmmm it may not be fast but who cares anymore. if you want to go fast take it to the track.

Comment

I have found that http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ has actual real world gas mileage stats, not what the manufacturers claim.

Comment

Shaun...wtf?

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                        Shaun...wtf?

what

Comment

Why is it that people can't believe the numbers, put it this way a 2008 300z gets 17mpg in the city, I get 18 mpg in the city with my 1999 Z28. And the 300z is rated at 24 mpg on the highway and I really haven't done a highway run on my Camaro but they were rated at 26mpg. So not only does my car get better gas mileage with two extra cylinders and more cubic inches, it's faster to. :P

Comment

it all comes down to how you drive. if i am wrong on this please elaborate

Comment

as far as the corrola goes me and my buddy has averaged close to 40mpg on the highway and that is driving the speed limit (kinda more like 5-10 over mst of the time) all around socal. my sisters new 6cyl toyota suv is getting 25-27 on the streets (and she is a maniac)

how come most of the cars overseas can get better numbers than we can.

maybe its because americans for the most part and a large breed and they need that suburban or escalade or excursion (didnt want to leave you ford die hards out) in order to feel comfortable but hey dont let me judge. i may be a large american but i like small cars. (plus i go to the gym unlike most americans who sit at home and eat in front of the tv).

Comment

Working...
                              X