Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

Originally posted by shaun callaway
    you can always fin a stripped down model
    My boss has been looking for the better part of a year for a Dodge truck, 4x4, Diesel engine, Manual trans, no power locks, no power locks and no power seats. He has yet to find a dealership that can find one or willing to order one. This is hitting the Las Vegas and Reno dealerships (as well as internet searching).
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

again why would you want to order a car without that stuff. i started this off with trying to find out why you have nav.

did you really get off your ass, dont you sit in front of your computer unless you mounted it up in mid air. hmmmm

Comment

if i remeber correctly you can buy a challenger like that. the nhra approved one.
        The Challenger like that comes with a full cage in it and in pieces, and you can only qualify to buy one if you are able to present a valid competition license and a plan as to where you are going to race it. It also comes without a VIN and you sign a legal document telling them that you will never arttempt to operate the car on the street.

Aside from all that, you're right. It doesn't have sat nav.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

order it
          You can't. They don't make them that way. I wish they did.

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

there you go

you do have to be realistic with what you order

Comment

So we went from "get off your ass" to "be reasonable with your order."

???

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

I hereby nominate this to be the most retarded thread on this whole forum.

Back to the economy debate... I vote that the webpage is put up by domestic auto manufacturers, have any of you guys tracked down the IP to see who owns it?

And I'll back up my claims that some of the import numbers are low. I own one of the cars quoted directly in there, and the numbers are either total BS or my car is magical. Our base civic with an auto trans logs 37mpg in real driving, and that's over the 38,000 miles I've owned it. AUTO TRANS.

And I *highly* doubt that there's any technology in a Domestic engine that gives them significant advantage in mileage, other than tall gearing for good highway numbers (my LT1 6-speed 4th gen camaro logged 28-30mpg on long highway trips - it was a nice car). In fact, in this regard, I submit that there are maybe three of us on this forum that can talk to any "wonderful domestic" technology. My personal opinion is that the domestic engines lately, with exception of a few by GM, have been chasing import technology, quality, build-ability for a LONG time. That's just an opinion, but it's based on more 1000+hp engines than the average guy in this thread can talk about.

Carry on!

-scott
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

dont give me this
                  What-up, Shaun? Little loose today?

Comment

Everyone shut up! The smartest guy just arrived!

Sheez. I second the nomination.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger

:
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I would agree with Scott on the fact that a lot of domestic engines have been chasing import technology for a long time. But I still think the traditional pushrod engine is owned by the domestics. Scott has done a lot of tuning on LS based engines from mild to wild, and they are very efficient. I know several people who have Titans and Tundras and love them except for the mileage. They have great power, but get crap mileage. When they first came out, I really thought they were going to hammer Ford and Chevy with big power and better mileage due to 4 valve, overhead came setups, but they never seemed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger

Come on dude. Now I'm offended! What about me! I've been here the whole time! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                            I vote that the webpage is put up by domestic auto manufacturers, have any of you guys tracked down the IP to see who owns it?
                            I did this just to prove you wrong. ;) ;D

This is who own's the web site.
                            HowStuffWorks, a wholly owned subsidiary of Discovery Communications,
                            Ya!! It's owned by the Discovery Channel. Them damn American automakers.

Also all those number are coming from the EPA.
                            Note: Though Consumer Guide Automotive conducts its own fuel-economy testing, for consistency?s sake the numbers presented here are supplied by the EPA. For more information about the EPA and its fuel-economy testing procedures, check out fueleconomy.gov. All EPA figures are for 2009 models.

Comment

sweet TC, so GM scrambles and finally makes it to the top of an Economy list - I wonder how it compares if we start going backwards in time?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                                So we went from "get off your ass" to "be reasonable with your order."

???

Brian
                                there is a difference between realistic and reasonable

Comment

Working...
                                X