Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An overview of mpg, domestic vs import. USA wins.

I guess Scott hasn't played with the cars that the carmakers want to be good...the big ones, where the money is. Wife bought a new 99 chevy truck, getting close to 200k miles, it still has the original belts, alternator, brakes, etc. And it gets great mileage for a 5000 lb behemoth that can haul a lot of cargo and people.

Little American cars are cheezy, and have always been cheezy, they are not a profit center for the big 3, never have been, never will be.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
      I guess Scott hasn't played with the cars that the carmakers want to be good...the big ones, where the money is. Wife bought a new 99 chevy truck, getting close to 200k miles, it still has the original belts, alternator, brakes, etc. And it gets great mileage for a 5000 lb behemoth that can haul a lot of cargo and people.

Little American cars are cheezy, and have always been cheezy, they are not a profit center for the big 3, never have been, never will be.

Ah yes, Fullsize Trucks. A Ford engineer once told me that during the late 1990s, over 90% of the R&D on new Ford vehicles was spent on the fullsize trucks. I believe it. There's no arguing that a 99 chevy half ton, or 3/4 ton, or 1 ton, is better than the Toyota equivalent. And a heluva reliable vehicle - I would agree that it's fullsize trucks where the American auto manufacturers were king. Unfortunately, with the cost of gas versus fullsize truck economy in general.... brings us back to the beginning of this thread.
      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Yup, the fullsize American trucks get as good or better mileage than the import full size trucks. Which is right where we started!

My fabulous web page

Comment

Yup, the fullsize American trucks get as good or better mileage than the import full size trucks. Which is right where we started!

we started talking about trucks? trucks are the *only* area where it seems the domestics compare... That is, until the domestics quickly whip up a couple "efficient" combos and set up websites that prove all along, it was just media conspiracy that held them down. Not economy, reliability, resale value, longevity.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

It's a matter of perception. Overall, American cars are bigger, and get lower mileage than the imports which are smaller vehicles overall.

Think domestic cars, you thing big. Think import, you think small. So yeah the imports get better mileage.

Unless you take the time to compare each individual class of cars...then they all look about the same.

And you know how the general public is...they eagerly swallow the 5 second sound bite.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Where we started was that American cars are competitive in fuel economy in each market segment-RIGHT NOW. Not ten years ago, or twenty years ago, or thirty years ago, but right now. (for the record the linked article clearly states that the figures listed are EPA figures and NOT the results of their own testing)

Where we ended up is that some people don't want to believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle

nah, the late model Fords suck gas and make poop for power. The GM's are the gold here.
                You can have all 8 of our 07-08 Subby's. All have electrical issues (gas gauges, tire pressure monitor, check engine lights, ABS, Stability Control, Traction Control.....), half have needed new batteries, the other half have needed new diffs. Great big POS's.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X