Did the Comet wash today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Comet wash today.

I have this 79 TA the I got a mechanics lien on. Had tons of caked on crud from over the years. It was last plated in 1992.

So I gave it a quick wash and it still didn't look so good. I read about washing with Comet here so I gave it a try,

Didn't turn out too bad. About what I expected. Tomorrow I'll run my orbital buffer over it with some polish. Should be a major improvement.

Re: Did the Comet wash today.

basically you rubbed out the paint.. looks nice.
    plans are?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Get it running which requires a engine rebuilt. Already rebuilt the TH350. New tires and suspension and clean some more. And then sell it.

Comment

I have the lien paperwork. So whoever buys the car takes the paper work to BMV and registers for the title. So yeah, the car is mine now.

Comment

I have always loved those cars......What kind of motor are you dropping in?

Seth
          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

One of those massive 6.6 liter engines. Oh wait, its a Olds 403. :

Comment

Comet washing rules. Glad you tried it. DF and I were actually going to do a video on how to properly Comet wash something when the site went dead. Oh well. There are some tips and tricks that can help a guy out depending on how bad the paint is to start with.

Here are a couple:
              Use Real Comet, the generic leaves residue in my experience.
              Keep your sponge going in one direction so you don't end up with swirl marks.
              Start with a wetter mixture, and then you can get thicker in areas that need more "cutting" of the paint.
              Take your time. Play with it a little and you'll see how well it can remove rust and oxidation.
              Rinse a lot. In the sun it will dry fast and leave dusty caked on crap. Keep it wet and work one panel at a time.
              Rinse a lot. Read above. Plus it keeps the jambs clean so they don't look like crap afterwards.
              It works great on trim and chrome too. Not good on plastic though!

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I had this weird loathing of later 2nd Gen F-bodies for a long time. I'm totally over it now and seeing, a black and gold car with honeycomb wheels, splitter exhaust tips and a shaker (not there now but I can visualize), well, I'm in love.

Too bad about the T-tops, but man is that thing cool.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Those are the good T-Tops......There is some decent structure between them.....

Besides.....The Bandit had them.

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I skip the Comet and go directly to the buffer with orange machine compound, but I'm guessing the Comet should work. It's just a mild abrasive, same as rubbing compound. I started out rubbing out cars at the dealership when I was 15, so I've done literally hundreds of them. Rubbing compound is how used car dealers make money.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X