• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mechanical curiosity?

One of my mottos is "If it aint broke..........fix it anyway"

Comment

I just have to know how it works and how it can be modified ;D aparently even as a kid i would take things apart so much so that people would give my parents old things so i could disasemble them.
      In those days they never got put back together and i always had boxes of bits under my bed lol.
      Nowdays i enjoy the build more than the finished project. I have a photographic memory so i can take things apart and leave them in pieces for months at a time only to reasemble and have the thing work.

Comment

My first paying job-8 years old- tearing into my friends bikes to repack the bearings with a big ol goop of white lithium.....

My first "hobby" was finding the difference between our 2cycle LawnBoy and the neighbors 4cycle Briggs.

Anybody else's Grandpa have a 18 HP Wisconsin engine on his mower....Those things must weigh 100 easy!

Comment

Gotta know how it works! My first memory of mechanical curiosity was taking apart the coaster brake on my huffy when I was about ten. That thing never worked right after that..must have been a bad design.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
            Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
            What mechanically-minded person worth their salt could possibly resist tearing into a Thermoquad?

:D :D

Comment

My most memorable dad-induced childhood ass kicking was for taking apart our lawnmower when I was 7. He was in the Navy, and out to sea for a week or two.... Mom didn't go into the shed behind the house much, and I decided I had to see how the lawnmower worked. He came home, went to mow the lawn the next day and saw his lawnmower torn apart in a puddle of oil in the shed. He told me to put it back together and start it or I was getting a thumping.... needless to say, I got the thumping.

Then he showed me how to put it back together.

Comment

I want to know how EVERYTHING works. From the can opener to the space shuttle. As I don't have the physical durability I used to have, I watch more TV than I'd really like, and I always try to find "How It's Made" or some such and learn more.

Of course, if something breaks, that's party time in the shop! Take that sucker apart, maybe fix it, maybe not. The car stuff, I pretty much always can fix.

Dan

Comment

I even watched mister rogers with the kids when they showed how stuff was made!
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Always have tore thing apart and most generally was able to put them back together. Mom used to bring me her mixers/toasters/et. to see if I could fix it before she bought new ones. Started helping dad on his cars when I wasn't even big enough to see over the fender.

Comment

I guess the speed gene comes from my mother (god rest her soul) as she used to street race
                      my grandpa's 56 Mercury. But as far as mechanical goes I always liked cars and my father
                      used to do general thing like air filter and plug changes and I remember helping with that
                      but he didn't really get into anything hardcore. However when my mom married my step dad
                      all that changed as he was a hardcore gearhead and the bug took hold. I remember helping to
                      change an engine when I was 13 in the winter it was so cold and snowing and I thought it
                      was great helping the old man with this task when he got cold and went into the house
                      I asked if I could keep working he replied "it's your ass thats gonna freeze but go for it"
                      well I kept at and got everything hooked up and got it running and parked it by the back door of
                      my grandma's house and met dad in the back room as he was coming out to see what the noise was
                      and said "I'll be damned" patted me on the the back and told me to go take a hot shower
                      cause I was looking a little blue from the cold but I don't remember feeling cold as I thought
                      I just did the coolest thing!!!! ;D

Comment

When I was about 12 my dad decided to rebuild our lawn mower. he tore it all down, replaced the rings, honed the cylinder and was going to put it back together when he realized it didnt have any kind of timing marks on the cam and crank gears. He said 'aw hell we'll just chunk this one and get a new one.' Now dont get me wrong, he was a decent mechanic himself. He was an airplane mechanic in WW2 but was a little low in the patience dept.

I told him to let me have a go at it since we were gonna throw it away anyway. He said 'sure, have at it'. (his term for 'go for it"). Well i commenced to study it and figure out just how everything worked and the first time I put it together it started! Was pretty much down on power so I took it apart and studied some more and moved the cam a tooth or two in the direction I thought it should go, put it back together and they baby ran like a new one! Well that got me started.

If that lawn mower had not of run I wouldn't have all these scars on my knuckles today.

Comment

My wife said it best (can't you leave anything alone)?

Comment

Yeah but being stock is boring lol

Comment

Originally posted by quickd100
                              Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                              Originally posted by NMCA_Ron
                              What mechanically-minded person worth their salt could possibly resist tearing into a Thermoquad?

:D :D

Someone has been busy. Nice work!

Ron
                              It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Definitely like the Thermoquad pics.I was proud that my 340 was running with it's original thermoquad this summer.
                                I took the training wheels off my first bike with a crescent wrench my grandfather had under the deck of the pool.So my Dad said,"well they're not going back on it,so you have to learn how to ride it"
                                When I was in Auto Body in High School a classmate said i reminded him of Curious George because if I hadn't already taken something apart to see how it worked,I was always ready to!

Comment

Working...
                                X