Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for DF about his Car Craft days

Dave

I read somewhere that this cover caused you the most grief during you time at Car Craft, what was the problem with it?

Tim
    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Re: Question for DF about his Car Craft days

I'm bettin it was the "Cheatin SOB?" line.

Comment

"Junk Rodding" didn't earn him any brownie points with the aftermarket, for sure...but cemented his status as "One of Us" forevermore.

Yet ANOTHER issue I have to replace due to someone*my wife* "reducing" the size of my literary compilation.

as I remember the "Cheatin' SOB" story, the guy's name was Gary, I think....the Mustang was his first car, a 4-banger deal.

He worked for Bischoff engine Service(a native Hoosier)......

Comment

That issue was from the peak of the Junkyard Craft era. Ironically, DF tells me those days still haunt him. ;)

The Cheatin' SOB article was about Gary Rohe.

Comment

That particular issue was not a standout problem...it was my entire tenure. Advertisers claimed I made it "Junkyard Craft" and they therefore could not sell new parts. It's a stigma that haunts the mag to this day. And it's why I've already been told by some that they will not support FreiburgersJUNKYARD.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
            That particular issue was not a standout problem...it was my entire tenure. Advertisers claimed I made it "Junkyard Craft" and they therefore could not sell new parts. It's a stigma that haunts the mag to this day. And it's why I've already been told by some that they will not support FreiburgersJUNKYARD.

Thanks, answers a few questions...

Car Craft is to me the "grass roots" mag of our hobby. It got me thinking more about how I'd do something than the other mags.
            Tim
            Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

imagine a junkyard in 1975

Comment

thanx for the 'in' DF...

alan
                "IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

if the mags and advertizers really think that suggesting there are some good usable parts in the junkyard are going to hurt there sales, I think they are nuts. Every hot rodder is still going to buy new speed parts. You may get an engine or some other parts but most are still going to modify these junkyard jewels using new parts. Am I wrong?

Comment

While it alienated some of the "big names" in performance, it showed US that there was indeed someone at the magazines that actually thought like us.....someone doing this kind of shit on a shoestring budget.

someone who wasn't afraid of buying a land barge for the driveline, and beating the snot out of it just for the hell of it(Insane Fun with a Total Beater)...slogging through the junkyards to pick parts that would perform on par(or sometimes BETTER) with brand-new out-of-the-box stuff.

This ain't a DF ass-kissing session by any means, it's just the damned truth.....Matt was part of it as well.

Chad and Brian are part of it now as well......

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
                      imagine a junkyard in 1975
                      yeah, that's a dream!

I started working at a junkyard in 79, the good deals on muscle car stuff were already mostly gone. Although we did get in a few that I should have snagged, had I been earning more than part time jukyard pay ($3/hr)....like that 74 z28 motor with a loose rod bearing, and that 57 imperial motor. But I had to save money for college, and stuff like that was completely out of reach. The best I did was a 2bbl 396 for $65

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I once got reamed for starting an Olds 455 buildup by buying the core at a junkyard. Where else do you get a 455 Oldsmobile? Dart isn't selling those blocks...an never will.

Point being, it got to the point where I could do no right.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                          I once got reamed for starting an Olds 455 buildup by buying the core at a junkyard. Where else do you get a 455 Oldsmobile? Dart isn't selling those blocks...an never will.

Point being, it got to the point where I could do no right.
                          That's brutal. If only you had a time machine to go back in time and walk out of an Olds Dealer with a GM fresh block :P
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

If it's any consolation, I have ad images blocked on every web page I visit...except this one....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I bought an L35 396 for 75 bucks in 1981
                              was in 2 camaros and one trans am

Comment

Working...
                              X