Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

map sites-your place-see anything interesting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• map sites-your place-see anything interesting?

OK, interesting, nice to know from space Microsoft's visual earth shows the two huge oil slick stains on my driveway. Must be a recent shot.

Mapquest shows a blue dot, assuming it's my POS exploder sport I sold 2 years ago, sitting in the driveway.
    Google is way out of date which surprises me. At least 3+ years old.

At least no close up zoom of some parts car cut up in my driveway... ;D

What sort of stuff have any of you guys spotted in your internet map locations?

Don't know about you all, but while sort of amusing...big brother at it's finest, got to love the military surplus spy sats going to use in the private sector. :

Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: map sites-your place-see anything interesting?

In mine, you can almost see a '65 Econoline panel van I had.

Not my place, but cool story anyway. Found my '68 Torino GT Fastback using a satellite image.

We knew the car was supposed to be sitting in a cherry orchard somewhere around a certain area, but didn't know what farm it was. Started searching and picked it out in an image. You could even tell it had the white C stripe on it.

Went to the farmer's house in my '68 Cougar and asked about it. He said I could go look at it, and when I came back, we negotiated a price. He said he took the car off the road two years before, when his son was old enough to drive because he didn't want him driving it, and also the extra cost of insuring it. It's a GA car, got it for $1200 and took it home, put a battery in it and some fresh gas, some brake fluid, and it was a running, driving car.

Satellite images of my grandmother's house show a Falcon parts car I had sitting in her back yard from about 10 years ago.

My friends house and shop, across town from one another, both show him being there. Kinda funny.

Comment

I found my Centurion in the Parking Lot at the AutoZone I worked at on Google Earth, I'll post it up when I get home. The picture has been updated now, but I did a screen shot capture. Neither Google nor Microsoft have a recent picture of my house in Ely since I moved in two and half years ago, and the last couple zooms don't wprk to try and pick out my car at the Mine's parking lot.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I think you have to be in a big city to get the high resolution images...the ones I've seen of my place show a blob where there is a car, sure can't tell what it is.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          I think you have to be in a big city to get the high resolution images...the ones I've seen of my place show a blob where there is a car, sure can't tell what it is.
          The Centurion is easy, Big Blue Rectangular Blob with a White Square in the middle :P
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Oh...we only rate B&W out here....

My fabulous web page

Comment

This is funny, but I used those maps a few years ago to spy on suspected car locations, and to see if cars I had seen years ago were still there. You can't zoom in that close anymore to some areas.

What I did find

'40 Ford truck in an apple orchard, where it was rumored to be, but nobody I talked to had actually seen it. It's still there.

'68 Mustang GT Fastback. Gone now, being restored.

One big lot of '20s-'50s cars. Strictly off limits.

Comment

Google shows my friends 58 Caddy and one of the company cars in my driveway. Street view shows the same cars, but the Caddy has it's cover on it.

Mapquest is really old. It shows my Impala still primer gray.

Yahoo maps is even older. Bill still has his now trashed 82 Cutlass, the nutball lady's toyota is in the driveway where Carl's Chevelle now resides. My Caprice is in the driveway, but my Impala is not there.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                  That's right sometimes. MS shows the red truck in the driveway very clearly and Google Earth shows something a little different - the MS shot is about 2 years old, the Goggle is 3-4. The Google shot of the drag strip is dead winter empty and the MS shot shows one of our hotrods under a car cover.

Comment

I looked at mine on 3 sites. All are out of date, and all show our house as being one of the neighbor's, although not the same neighbors house, depending on site. There seems to be confusion in here - for years, MapQuest brought people into the sub on a non-existent road. Probably because the development is so new - it only was built in 1970.

Dan

Comment

Must be a very recent photo. It shows my parts car with the front sheetmetal gone, it's only been like that for 3 months.
                      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

The one of my house must have been fairly recent, it shows the recently sold LeMans with the silver stripe on it which was a fairly recent addition. My truck, my wife's Aura (The car, not the ray of light around her being) and her cousins Dodge pickup. My house looks great though, if i must say so myself.
                        Busted down to regular Bangshifter

Comment

Here's our suburban, before we got it...

My fabulous web page

Comment

googles fairly recent for me...

images shows my mustang isnt at home, no images for where the chevelle resides. street view has the mustang in the driveway. sat view you can see my friends 87 GT in his driveway.
                            Local person
                            sigpic

Comment

Google Earth from a Southern View shows the U-Haul in the Front yard loading up when I moved from Amarillo to South Carolina. From other directions I just see the SUV and Car in the Driveway. I always wondered what was under that tarp in the neightbors yard?

Comment

Working...
                              X