Autocross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocross

Any of you guys do the autocross thing? I went out to the local event this past weekend, to shake down our LeMons car. It was a BLAST! If you've never tried it, I highly suggest it.

Pics of us killing cones at http://www.porcubimmer.com/blog/

Re: Autocross

I wish I could! Been on the list for a long time. I want to build the Gremmie for autocross.

Time, money, space...

Comment

The gremlin would be a great car for autocross... you should just take it out to one as it is and play with it. We ran some of the slowest times of the day and still enjoyed it.

Comment

I autocrossed the Impala at the spring Goodguys show this year. I ran about four or five times. I wasn't really going for a good time slip, but having fun getting the car sideways. I plan to do it again next year.

Watch a run here.

DF, your Chevelle is already got the goods. Go have fun with it.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
          I autocrossed the Impala at the spring Goodguys show this year. I ran about four or five times. I wasn't really going for a good time slip, but having fun getting the car sideways. I plan to do it again next year.

Watch a run here.

DF, your Chevelle is already got the goods. Go have fun with it.

X2.

Comment

Made it to a couple Atlanta area events this year, hoping to be out there more next year.

Comment

That is my thing... It is addicting...

Mostly local stuff... I am hoping to hit a few regional and national events in 09... Maybe a ProSolo as well...

I run with the local SCCA, BMWCA, PCA.

Comment

I have been autocrossing since the mid 70's (actually, I quit a couple of years ago) but it was a great way to spend a day. All of my autocross cars were "depositories" of left-over or surplus parts from other projects. For a couple of years, I autocrossed an '85 Vette that I had built to run the Silver State open road races with. It was very fast, but not competitive on tight courses due to the suspension I put in it to survive Hwy 318. My last autocrosser was a '73 Vette. Again, not competitive because of the ancient tecnology, but since it FAST! The blast from those sidepipes made any day a good day. I sold it because autocross dried up around here, and the engine couldn't pass smog so no street I sold it w/o the engine and tranny and have been trying to buy it back with no luck.
                Ed

Comment

Autocross is fun, (relatively) cheap, and addicting. Open-track is the same, just better (and not cheap).

cheers
                  Ed N.
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Here is a front bumper view of the last PCA autocross I attended...

Comment

Cheapest safe way for an automotive thrill, hands down. My personal opinion is everybody that is getting a drivers license should have to participate in autocross sessions. We buy a new car. How do we find out what it's like at max braking? When some knucklehead turns left in front of us. People can take any vehicle (pass basic safety inspect) to an autocross and get a feel for the vehicle near its limits. Anybody that tries it should walk away a better driver. Some of the courses are awful tight for something like a Chevelle or a Camaro, but the larger layouts are a blast.

Comment

The Tar Heel Sports Car Club used to hold events ( I assume they still do.) at Maxton. My son went to one of their Autocross schools with his BMW and had a blast.

I did some autocross stuff many, many years ago. It is a blast.

Comment

I went to an SCCA meet in Hershey a few years back. I took the Monte, it has some Global West and Hotchkis parts. The 17" wheels I have for the car have reeeally hard tires on them, so it was a little slidey. It was an absolute blast. A veteran rode along with me a time or two and gave me a bunch of pointers. Great group of people (mostly). I will go again sometime, it was one of the most fun things I've done with the car.

I wasn't out to compete, just have some fun, but it was nice to know that my 20+ year old car was quicker than the stock Camaros by a couple of seconds. I think my times were like 55 seconds and those cars (there were 4 of them) all ran in the 57-58 second range. There was a stock '04 Z06 with sticky tires that was posting 50 second laps.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                          X