More Tool Talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More Tool Talk

I have a Craftsman set that I bought 20 years ago. I would search the sale section at Sears - Every now and then they change their tool sets around and discontinue the others. I picked up a set for my son at about 30% off last year. One other thing I would point out - Once you have your basic set. You might look at picking up an extra few wrenches. These seem to be the most common that I use. 10MM, 11MM, 12mm also 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8

Comment

i work on helicopters for a living (untill i can find a job doing nothing)

alot of folks are shocked at how few tools i use to do my job. i have everything i need carefully shadowed in a four drawer craftsman carry-around box. the only thing i do not have in it is a 3/8 & 1/2 socket set. the point is, dont piss away a pile of money on a huge set of tools chosen by someone else, if you do, you will wind up with a bunch of crap you never use.

my suggestion, wait till sears has a big sale, then go buy,

1/4, 3/8, 1/2" drive socket sets in 12 point metric and standard.
      (you will hear people say "6 point is better, bla bla bla" never mind that babble, get 12 point first, it is more useful, and for the once a year occasion where you need a 6 point socket, go buy that set when you need it, i promise it will take a hell of a long time for you to get all of them)

a full set of extensions and adapters (the big long ones too)

wrenches, combination type, start as small as you possibly can with REAL wrenches, "ignition wrenches" are f-ing garbage, i threw mine away as soon as i scored a set of real wrenches the same sizes. go up to about 1", after that, go buy the one you need when you need it, once again, it will take you a long time to get them all, you just dont need big tools that often.

screwdrivers, this is where i disagree with everyone else, go track down the snap-on guy and buy a NICE 8 or 9 piece screwdriver set. you will not regret this, craftsmans screwdrivers are OK, but when you are working on your junk at 2:30 am on saturday night, in the freezing cold, do you really want that screw to strip?

the box, get the most and or best you can afford, a cheapie box will be more frustrating than you would think.

ford wrench (monkey wrench), vise grips (real ones), channel locks (waterpump pliers), picks, hammer, prybar, and last and most important, a FULL SET of crescent wrenches.

after you have all this stuff, you can start adding things like swivel sockets, air ratchets, and so forth.

get the hand tools first, worry about getting speedy later.

i agree with keith, score all you can for cheap, remember, when you break snapon, you get a new one..........that was not a suggestion...........

Comment

Originally posted by NMCA_Ron

Our local racetrack has a fully-stocked toolbox with all the tools they have picked up from the starting line. It pays off in the long run to make sure your tools STAY your tools!

Ron
        I've been hit by a socket and just missed by an open end wrench while working corners at a local road course. Also seen lots of stuff come flying out of cars.

I would hate to be the guy cutting the grass!

Comment

My 39 piece Craftsman set I got for Christmas in 1964 has grown
          to 2 roll around cabinets and 2 chests. Never regretted getting
          Craftsman except - go for the Snap-on flare nut wrenches from
          the start.
          Another thing to consider, the tool sets in the form fitted tool boxes,
          when you add on tools where do you store them? just a thought.
          chad786

Comment

I know a lot of folks like Craftman stuff. My first good tools were Craftsman but that was a long time ago. My son, son-in-law, I have all had problems getting Sears to replace broken tools, especially if they come in some kind of set. I think the quality has declined and they are tired of having to replace them. Torque Wrenches from Sears (Craftman) do not have a life time warranty. Lots of Craftsman stuff is no longer under the life time warranty. Also be careful at Sears as they sell several levels/brands of tools. Some obviously better than others.
            That said use that gift card at Sears first. Then fill in the holes with stuff at swap meets, eBay and pawn shops. Look for the best stuff you can afford. You do not have to have everything now. Some stuff can wait until you need it. My "car fund" is for that kind of stuff.
            Good-luck.

Comment

Alright... here's the scoop. I found a craftsman set that ill be picking up tomorrow morning. Its the 283 piece set and its 50 bucks off right now. I figure it gives me what i need right now and i can easily build onto the set. Still looking for a torque wrench, but ill wait until i find what i really want. and my parents asked me to wait on a box for now.... so we'll see on that.

So thanks for all the help guys.

Bill

(ill also probably pick up some vise grips and a ball hammer so i dont have to keep borrowing them)

Comment

I started off with hand me down tools(mostly Craftsman), from my grandfather. Those have long since been replaced with all Matco, Mac, and Snap-On, with some other specialty stuff from others.

In my opinion, Craftsman is likely your best bet, till better is affordable for you.
                You certainly can upgrade from there as you want.

Comment

i have a set of Klein torque wrenches and they work great and have a lifetime warranty, the rest are a mix of craftsman and mat co. now if i could just figure out how to use all of them ;) 8)

Comment

After doing this stuff for the last 30+ years I have 3 rollaway tool boxes. The one I use in the engine room has Snap-on & Mac tools. The one in the dyno room has all types proto, matco, & some other lesser name brands. My 3rd box is at home and has mainly Craftsman. This is also the box I take to the race track. The reason is simple, Sears is everywhere and open weekends. Try to get the snap-on guy out to your house on a Sunday.
                    I have and still use many tools given to me by my dad and granddad. Tools are much more than instruments used to work on something. They become a part of who we grow into, I think many here will tell you that they have a favorite wrench or ratchet.
                    Enjoy shopping for your tools
                    There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

thats very well put

Comment

Originally posted by Dynoroom
                        After doing this stuff for the last 30+ years I have 3 rollaway tool boxes. The one I use in the engine room has Snap-on & Mac tools. The one in the dyno room has all types proto, matco, & some other lesser name brands. My 3rd box is at home and has mainly Craftsman. This is also the box I take to the race track. The reason is simple, Sears is everywhere and open weekends. Try to get the snap-on guy out to your house on a Sunday.
                        I have and still use many tools given to me by my dad and granddad. Tools are much more than instruments used to work on something. They become a part of who we grow into, I think many here will tell you that they have a favorite wrench or ratchet.
                        Enjoy shopping for your tools

Thanks..... its refreshing to see other people get as excited as i am about buying something as simple as tools. it took a while to convince my mom that i NEEDED them. so im gettin up early tomorrow and buyin my first set!

Comment

I still have a few of the "Industro Select" tools that my folks bought me for my 15th. birthday, and they are special to me (I'm 60, btw). Do get a box as soon as you can. Otherwise, they will scatter to the 4 winds and you just won't have them anymore. That's what happened to the rest of the Industro Selects.

Sears does NOT make Craftsman tools. They are produced by whoever made the lowest bid for the year in question. Usually, it's Stanley or a company you likely never heard of called Danaher. There are only a few companies who actually make tools in the US, including Danaher, Stanley (Proto is Stanley's premium line), S&K, and Snap-On, who also makes Lowe's Kobalt tools. There may be a few others, but that's basically it. When I was working, I needed to buy a new set for one of the techs and researched this quite a bit. An interesting exercise is to handle a Snap-On and a Kobalt. The difference in feel is amazing - the Kobalt feels like they forgot to take the corners off. Your choice of Craftsman is great - just giving a bit of background.

Another tool tip. But screwdrivers either in a different color or a different brand from anyone elses. When working in a shop, they tend to migrate and you usually can't find yours when you need them. How many sets of clear-handled Craftsman screwdrivers are in the world? That's why my box full of Snap-Ons has Mac screwdrivers.

You are heading off on a great adventure - HAVE FUN!!!!
                          Dan

Comment

So tell us about them... what your going to put them in short term.... and you know my next rant don't you?

The best tools in the world are worthless if you can't find them... and when you find them if they aren't clean and ready to work... they are worthless...

NEVER put a wrench away dirty... always attack RUST on anything instantly... it's not going to get better with age.... Keep Oil Handy... Pliers and side cuts... stuff like that take a dab now and again... shoot I even wipe a bit on my rust prone stuff just to put a light coat on them...

Okay... Pictures... ( hey you guys are always Yelling at me... and rightly soooooo.. )

Keith

Comment

Make sure you can spell before buying tools from a pawn shop. I checked some out on the nyet a while ago and ended up owing a Russian girl thousands of dollars!(and the only tool I had in my hand was my own!) :

Comment

ups

Comment

Working...
                                X