• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Rod
    replied
    Re: Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

Originally posted by Tommygun
    Alex hates mustangs LOL
    Yes, junk, every one of them built after 1970.......

I still want to cut the firewall out and move the motor back about a foot.

I can't wait for spring, I'm gonna kick the crap out of my white car.

Ax

Leave a comment:

• smack_talker
    replied

Coming from a "Ford Family", Ive had several fox stangs over the years. It started back in 82 when Ford had the "Boss is Back" ads and I bought a new 1982 Mustang GT. This is when the Ford vs Chevy thing was getting cranked up again and I waxed many new 3rd gen "cross fire" or as we called them "cross pig" Camaros. When I went looking the the fastest car for the moeny I had, another fox stang was in the driveway.

This was similiar to my old car. To me still the best looking fox.

current car...

Leave a comment:

• AFFORDILLAC
    replied

Originally posted by Dirt Rod

I think whatever you do should be a budget, lowest buck, junkyard crawl, stock block, drag/road/daily car that you can make and still have fun with. Basically, show what you can do with average-fella cash.

OR!! Put pen to paper and carve out the cheapest engine/trans combo you can. (like 355, 383 GM, or something you already have) and put it in a fox, and do whatever.

I've got tons of ideas. Sometimes, I wish I would have built a 355/400 for one of the fox's I've owned. People scoff at this, and have brand-crossing issues, but hey......it would rule behind the wheel!!!!

Ax

...like a 500 Cadillac??? ;D ;)

Leave a comment:

• Tommygun
    replied

Alex hates mustangs LOL

Leave a comment:

• Dirt Rod
    replied

My two pennies.... ;D

There's not much I havn't seen with Fox's, either. I've owned about 20 of them over the years and they are fun. Done right they can be a blast to drive and a force to be reckoned with on the street.

I know they don't get respect all the time, but hey, not everyone likes the way they look.

I've got one right now that is lots of fun, reliable, fast (opinion-based of course), and I like it BUT......it's still just a Mustang.....it's not the 60's Ford that I wanted. My wallet can't handle the car I really want, I'm feeding my habbit with this Fox for now.

I think whatever you do should be a budget, lowest buck, junkyard crawl, stock block, drag/road/daily car that you can make and still have fun with. Basically, show what you can do with average-fella cash.

OR!! Put pen to paper and carve out the cheapest engine/trans combo you can. (like 355, 383 GM, or something you already have) and put it in a fox, and do whatever.

I've got tons of ideas. Sometimes, I wish I would have built a 355/400 for one of the fox's I've owned. People scoff at this, and have brand-crossing issues, but hey......it would rule behind the wheel!!!!

Ax

Leave a comment:

• Freiburger
    replied

The stock blocks usually split in half at about 500 hp. We don't really need to prove that again.

Leave a comment:

• Scott Liggett
    replied

If ever there was a car in your fleet to absolutely have a giggle fest tossing Nitro on a junkyard short block until there's a boom; that is the car. Just get another junkyard shortblock after the explosion. Or, see how stages of nitrous it will take.

I am interested in seeing just how much abuse the original short blocks can take. I know a guy who has a LX coupe that has the original 150k mile short block with new heads and intake and vortech blower that runs in the tens. He says he's pumping 15 pounds of boost through and has been for about five years now.

Leave a comment:

• Tommygun
    replied

better plan on higher then 7k to run 9.90s NA haha

when I ran PS I would launch at 7200 and shift at 7800, there are guys nearing 9-10k now

Leave a comment:

• min301
    replied

I'm drooling.

That should sound wicked as hell!

Leave a comment:

• Freiburger
    replied

I'm hoping that 7,000-rpm clutch dumps and bangshifting and NA 9.90s make it entertaining.

Leave a comment:

• min301
    replied

Exactly.

I feel you guys who don't like em cause their in your face all the time, but done right, as DF would
    I'd bet even you guy's could find some things you like about it.

Leave a comment:

• trans am
    replied

Cheap, nice looking, good performance platform, available manual trans, good rear end, tons of cheap performance parts... What's not to like.

Leave a comment:

• Schtauffer
    replied

A 5.0 Mustang is on my list somewhere. But that's a long list.

Leave a comment:

• Silver68RT
    replied

I'm just not that interested in 5.0's. The styling doesn't just grab me like my '69 does. I looked at buying a used '91 GT 5-speed after I moved to Detroit. The insurance would have been astronomical, basically 1/3 of the price of the car every year. I talked to some guys who'd had them, and they'd all been stolen, sometimes more than once. Nightmare stories about near death experiences trying to drive them in the winter. Third gear synchros were crunchy on that one, so I passed, never looked at another one. I think about half the cars at Milan on FME night are 5.0's, and they run the gamut from 8 seconds to 16 seconds. Carb'd, EFI'd, nitroused, turbo'd, supercharged, SBC'd, 460'd - I don't think there's anything I haven't seen done to a Fox body Mustang. How do you come up with something fresh?

I knew Ed Hohenberg back in Winnipeg who raced an all black '87 LX notchback 5.0 in Stock Eliminator, set some national records, and won an NHRA National Event in Atlanta with it. It was a pretty cool car, I think it ran low 12's and I know he wrote some articles for Mustang mags. Broke a lot of drivetrain parts though - sidestepping the clutch at 5800 rpm tends to find the weak link.

Leave a comment:

• quickd100
    replied

Dammn......they're like locusts... they're everywhere.. move on to something else..anything else. Dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X