Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your Opinion on 5.0 Mustangs

Hey BBR, your buddies car looks sharp. I agree, the 4 eyed cars look better.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
      Basically you've all confirmed what my impressions were. So let's shift the conversation to what we could do with a 5.0 that would make it interesting and different to YOU.

Some options:
      - Put a small-block Mopar in it, just because we can.
      - Stick an FE in it, just because we can.
      - Rallye race it (as we've discussed doing with the '72 Nova or '74 Duster)
      - Cannonball it cross-country
      - See how quick we can make it while looking/sounding bone stock. Sleeper street racer.
      - Go open-road racing with it as cheaply as possible

Or come up with your own ideas and tell us how a mundane 5.0 can be Car Junkie worthy. Get creative but realistic.

The 5.0 isn't interesting and if you push them beyond 600 hp they split in half.
      Less than inpressive......

So do the Mopar!

Comment

Basically you've all confirmed what my impressions were. So let's shift the conversation to what we could do with a 5.0 that would make it interesting and different to YOU.
        24 hours of lemons as many as you can find for five bills

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I like these two, the first because I think a dual-quad FE is an awesome looking engine, and the second because I used to circuit-race my 5.0 ... going around corners fast is fun. However I don't think both ideas would work for the same car, unless it was an all-aluminium FE!!

cheers
          Ed N.
          Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
          07 Mustang GT with some stuff
          88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

a sturdy subframe connector and cage will solve that problem. I could also get excited about a 390/428 or 429/460 being stuffed in a 5.0.
            having said that, a well built 351 would work nicely for the sleeper/ ralley/ roadrace/ cannonball ideas. a 351 car could do straight lines as well as corners if it were set up with a tunable suspension and a wheel and tire change. the weight of a bigblock would pretty much limit racing to dragstrips.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert1320

Some options:
              - See how quick we can make it while looking/sounding bone stock. Sleeper street racer.

Or come up with your own ideas and tell us how a mundane 5.0 can be Car Junkie worthy. Get creative but realistic.

The 5.0 isn't interesting and if you push them beyond 600 hp they split in half.
              Less than inpressive......

So do the Mopar!
              What's funny about this statement is I was going to build the 340 block in my garage, and I ran into the same dilema with the SB Chryslers. I put down right at 530 rwhp out of a little 306 Ford, and she had 10K on that motor. I was labeled a black sheep on a certain site by a few because I wasn't "listening" to the "Mopar Guys".

My next Fox for me personally will be a road racing car. That's the 3rd car in line to do, as I have to finish my street/strip Dart, do a tube chassis car, then the FOX platform.

That being said, I wouldn't mind seeing an open road racing build with a working man's budget. An aluminium headed, pump gas windsor in the nose, T5 Variant rowing the gears, and an 8.8 build up, perhaps 9 inch ends? Carb'd or EFI, perhaps doing a Mega Squirt set up with EFI showing the lamen about that inexpensive system? Full interior street legal? Just some thoughts.

Comment

Some options:

I owned quite a few of these, most with 351w's.

Well I brought this up a few years ago on the HR website, but how about a Clevor, either open track or Drag oriented.

How about a stroked(like 427+c.i. Man-o-war) and a set of Yates or Cleveland heads, and sure go ahead and turbo it, or nitrous it.
                Better yet, a Cammer. ;D

Comment

High winding engine, lift the suspension some, some sand tires and take it to the dunes.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

i hated kids in high school that had 5.0 mustangs. i could buy a mustang, but the insurance was like buying the car all over again! you had to have a rich daddy to afford the insurance. watching the kiddies tear the hell out of a nice car was difficult for me. im like that.

i finally broke down and bought an 84 notchback 4 banger for 100 dollars a few years back. i swapped in a 351w with world sr heads, all comp cams valvetrain, 274xe cam, and the usual list of goodies. rpm manifold, DUI HEI ignition, long tubes, cutouts. the most eye opening part of owning the stang was rolling it on a scale. 2780lbs with my fat rear on board. parts interchange? oh hell yes. 1988 turbocoupe 8.8 rear end with 373 gears, its 4 wheel discs now! an svo master cylinder for 20 dollars at the parts store, it holds a freakin quart or so of brake fluid.. subframe connectors for 20 dollars off ebay, used parts from the local mustang club members,(ssm traction action lift bars, 75 dollas!!) pretty soon ive got it running decently well and ive stripped it to an unreasonable degree. ive never had a car that would lay down 250 feet of black marks off idle, or bark the tires into 4th gear at 110mph. its freaking hiliarious to drive to work. and if it breaks down, theres the cops, to help me! well, sort of..

id like to see 5.0 coverage. mostly the magazines are schlepping out whatever the newest gadget is for new mustangs. myself, i like the old 5.0. yeah its old, but hey, its cheap and light and good.. oh and cannonball it, that sounds fun.. also im liking the clevor idea.

Comment

Think Maverick then Steve Atwell.... that oughta make it fun...

K

Comment

Maverick and Atwell in the same sentence.WOW :o

Comment

Myself, I would donate it to the American Cancer Society. I have little, if any, desire to do anything with a 5.0 Mustang. There are so many of them around here, you couldn't throw a rambler without hitting one. If anything, I'd like to see a 351 Cleveland BUILT and installed into one. I've seen so many ways to build a sm. blk. ford and Chevy that I'm looking at Mopar articles/stories even though I haven't owned one in over 20 years. I've toyed with the idea of selling my '55 to help pay off a few bills and find something else to start on. I'd thought about a 5.0 Mustang but came to after about 20 seconds. ;D I've looked at a few A body Mopars but even those are too far out of my price range. So it'll probably be another Chevy in the future, cheap and plentiful.

Comment

scrap it.

Comment

FE sounds good, Chad can weld up a cage and subframe connectors, or maybe a 351c with the new aussie 3v heads?, or sent it to me!! I could swap the 4.6 cobra motor and turbo setup into it!!

Comment

sold, but it's what I had going...

like others I think the FE is a great idea, I love those motors.

Comment

Working...
                                X